Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old
Notebook's Avatar
Notebook Notebook is offline
Donator


Default Hubble telescope hit by mechanical failure
by Notebook 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
By Paul Rincon
Science editor, BBC News website

The Hubble Space Telescope is operating with only essential functions after it lost one of the gyroscopes needed to point the spacecraft.
The observatory, described as one of the most important scientific instruments ever created, was placed in "safe mode" over the weekend, while scientists try to fix the problem.
Hubble had been operating with four of its six gyroscopes when one of them failed on Friday.
The telescope was launched in 1990.
After the gyro failure at the weekend, controllers tried to switch on a different one, but that was found to be malfunctioning. That leaves Hubble with only two fully functional gyros.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45788412
Reply With Quote
Views 2840 Comments 38
Total Comments 38

Comments

Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
MikeB
Orbinaut
 
MikeB's Avatar
Default

Does anyone here know/surmise/guess/wish that the Crew Dragon or CST-100 Starliner could take a repair crew, tools and parts to service HST?
Or perform other similar functions that were formerly done by Space Shuttle?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
IronRain
Moderator
 
IronRain's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
 Does anyone here know/surmise/guess/wish that the Crew Dragon or CST-100 Starliner could take a repair crew, tools and parts to service HST?
Or perform other similar functions that were formerly done by Space Shuttle?
I guess that's not possible. It was the limit for the shuttle, I don't think CST or CD will have the same amount of resources to get there.
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
Urwumpe
Certain Super User
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRain View Post
 I guess that's not possible. It was the limit for the shuttle, I don't think CST or CD will have the same amount of resources to get there.

I think the lack of a payload bay is the bigger issue there. Its pretty hard to work in space without a suitable stable work platform and a RMS.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
jedidia
shoemaker without legs
 
jedidia's Avatar
Default

So... what happens to astronomy if we lose it? I know there's a variety of capable telescopes up there now, but nothing coming close to Hubbles optical abilities. What would astronomy look like without it?
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
 
Xyon's Avatar



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 What would astronomy look like without it?

Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Keatah
Orbinaut
Default

Tis' a shame that we spend hundreds of billions (annually!) on war and killing, yet couldn't afford to develop a replacement for Hubble. Or repair it. JWST is a joke, and can't even get off the ground. No one wants to take the risk and have their name attached to what could possibly the biggest failure of all time.

I keep hearing that Hubble has a docking ring attached to it. Well, couldn't we take a couple billion and develop and launch a gyro-assist package? Instead of a retro-rocket to de-orbit the 'scope, which is the next step. Something like a small box of gyros that would attach to the ring and take over the functionality of the failed units. Much like how you use a Mophie or auxiliary battery pack on your phone when the battery starts losing capacity.

It could be either automated or manual docking. Or perhaps be done by a crew. All that need be done is develop the box - which should be no harder than any other medium-sized satellite - and attach it with no more than 5 or so screw clamps.
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe
 
MaverickSawyer's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keatah View Post
 Tis' a shame that we spend hundreds of billions (annually!) on war and killing, yet couldn't afford to develop a replacement for Hubble. Or repair it. JWST is a joke, and can't even get off the ground. No one wants to take the risk and have their name attached to what could possibly the biggest failure of all time.

I keep hearing that Hubble has a docking ring attached to it. Well, couldn't we take a couple billion and develop and launch a gyro-assist package? Instead of a retro-rocket to de-orbit the 'scope, which is the next step. Something like a small box of gyros that would attach to the ring and take over the functionality of the failed units. Much like how you use a Mophie or auxiliary battery pack on your phone when the battery starts losing capacity.

It could be either automated or manual docking. Or perhaps be done by a crew. All that need be done is develop the box - which should be no harder than any other medium-sized satellite - and attach it with no more than 5 or so screw clamps.
But that would make sense!

No, NASA wouldn't be able to get that done in a timely manner and at reasonable cost if their lives depended on it.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
Keatah
Orbinaut
Default

I wouldn't mind a couple 2 or 3 years intermission while we get another telescope up there. But there are no plans to do so.

I'm not counting on JWST to launch on schedule, they will find yet another reason to delay. Nor do I care much, when launched it will be flying with 10-20 year old instruments that have been tested, heated, cooled, vibrated, and have had some of their lifespan consumed by ground operations.

JWST is a good political job shelter though. And I would hope that lessons learned with it would be applied to future projects but "memory" and knowledge transfer aren't up to snuff. Lessons will be lost instead of learned.
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

And now another Great Observatory far beyond it's prime years have joined in: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/chandra...ation-underway
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Urwumpe
Certain Super User
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 And now another Great Observatory far beyond it's prime years have joined in: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/chandra...ation-underway

Is any new x-ray space telescope planned? AFAIR, XMM-Newton will end its mission this year, unless it gets a sudden extension. Its already the longest space mission for ESA, with over 6800 days.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Looks like the gyroscope is fine except its measurements: It measures bigger rates than it should. Does somebody know if it is using magnetic pickups like the Shuttle RGAs did?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #14
mahdavi3d
Orbinaut
 
mahdavi3d's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Is any new x-ray space telescope planned? AFAIR, XMM-Newton will end its mission this year, unless it gets a sudden extension. Its already the longest space mission for ESA, with over 6800 days.[COLOR=Red]
Things didn't go so well for x-ray space observatories either! JAXA "Hitomi" (ASTRO-H) suffered a fatal anomaly two years ago, soon after first observations were made! The plan is to build a new one called X-Ray Imaging and Spectroscopy Mission (XRISM). NASA page & Wikipedia page for referring:
https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xrism/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Ray_...oscopy_Mission
mahdavi3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Urwumpe
Certain Super User
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdavi3d View Post
 Things didn't go so well for x-ray space observatories either! JAXA "Hitomi" (ASTRO-H) suffered a fatal anomaly two years ago, soon after first observations were made! The plan is to build a new one called X-Ray Imaging and Spectroscopy Mission (XRISM). NASA page & Wikipedia page for referring:
https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xrism/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Ray_...oscopy_Mission

Yeah, and ESA is preparing a successor for XMM-Newton already. But there will be a HUGE gap, it will launch in 2031.



http://sci.esa.int/athena/59896-mission-summary/
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.