Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #31
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I would expect OrbiterSound to provide such functionality, actually. Have you checked the SDK doc?
I think Fred meant that regarding his own sound implementation.

In principle, now is the time where the natural replacement of Dan's software is coming up. However, I fear that serious work put into this field will be all for naught once Dan comes out with a new version after some time. People might then go back to the "original", because they don't realize what lock-in means.

So doing "just" the absolute minimum in this regards could be a practical approach. IMHO, Fred is on the right track .
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #32
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Has anybody ever asked Dan if he's planning on updating his add-ons? Not when, just if.

Quote:
I think Fred meant that regarding his own sound implementation.
Oh. I didn't realise he was doing his own sound library.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #33
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Well if turn indicators are added then brake lights also.

So then when brake is pressed the red lights light up. Then you would need 2 or 3

I think people what what UCGO vehicles had
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #34
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
 Has anybody ever asked Dan if he's planning on updating his add-ons? Not when, just if.
He said he would.
He just wanted to wait after Orbiter2016 was officially released, and not chase betas.

Here:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/in...8218#msg208218

Last edited by Ripley; 06-21-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Link added
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Dan did not speak up for quite some time now. I think such a question is also pointless. If he answers with yes, there is no change to the status quo. If he answers with no, there is no change to the status quo. In both cases people are left with an outdated middle-ware for an unknown time.
The risk of a newly developed middle-ware becoming obsoleted again - because he might then simply change his mind and invest time in Orbiter again (nothing you could blame him for) - is still there.

I think the most plausible answer is "maybe", anyway.

Quote:
AFAIK, he implemented his own sound feature in Multistage2015. It is not exactly a library, though.
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #36
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 AFAIK, he implemented his own sound feature in Multistage2015. It is not exactly a library, though.
Just to be clear on that: since I'm expecting Dan to come out sooner or later with the new Orbiter Sound I'm not making a library or a complex system. I just use the "playsound" command of C++ or something similar when it happens and it appears to be harmless even with OrbiterSound itself. Just not to implement a not working orbiter sound addon but to have some bits of sound when it is nice. In Multistage2015 I just added the sound calls in guidance. Here I could add the engine sound. But to do that nicely I'd need a way to change pitch etc. I'll give it a look but to be honest, I don't want to spend hours on managing sound and then throw everything away when the new OrbiterSound comes out.

@Gattis: braking lights are already there!!! you don't see them because you see the light they produce and not the light bulb itself, but try the car at night and you'll see braking lights!
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #37
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 Just to be clear on that: since I'm expecting Dan to come out sooner or later with the new Orbiter Sound I'm not making a library or a complex system. I just use the "playsound" command of C++ or something similar when it happens and it appears to be harmless even with OrbiterSound itself. Just not to implement a not working orbiter sound addon but to have some bits of sound when it is nice. In Multistage2015 I just added the sound calls in guidance. Here I could add the engine sound. But to do that nicely I'd need a way to change pitch etc. I'll give it a look but to be honest, I don't want to spend hours on managing sound and then throw everything away when the new OrbiterSound comes out.
Just what I thought. I think this is a very pragmatic approach.
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I just use the "playsound" command of C++
I didn't even know C++ had such high-level functionality
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #39
Donamy
Beta Tester

Fred. Can GV be used for a landing vehicle ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #40
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Fred. Can GV be used for a landing vehicle ?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you attach it as a child to another vessel you can take it wherever you want.
Anyway as long as you don't press any key the status of the general vehicle won't be forced to be landed
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #41
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Stupid question incoming -

I've got a few meshes knocked together as ocean going vessels, this will work on the water too? I figure to have attacchment points on the flight deck for VTOL craft. Originally planned just to have it as a static mesh, but if this will work it'll be much more dynamic.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #42
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Stupid question incoming -

I've got a few meshes knocked together as ocean going vessels, this will work on the water too? I figure to have attacchment points on the flight deck for VTOL craft. Originally planned just to have it as a static mesh, but if this will work it'll be much more dynamic.
yep, in orbiter there's no difference between land and sea. sea is only a flat land surface painted in blue
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #43
gattispilot
Addon Developer

I wonder if it would better visually to set the height higher than the ground? Then then vessel will not be in the ground?
I raises Dan's IALunar Rover so that the lowest y would be 0.

Code:
ClassName=GeneralVehicle
Module=GeneralVehicle

Empty_Mass = 1000			;[kg] empty mass (almost unused)
Mesh = IACarLunarRover_GV				; meshname
Cockpit_pos = .411 1.96 .96	; [m m m] Position of the cockpit camera
Acceleration = 1.45			; [G] Acceleration factor expressed in Gs
Brake = 3					; [G] Deceleration factor expressed in Gs
Max_Speed = 200				; [km/h] Max Speed
Reverse_Max_Speed = 50		; [km/h] Max Speed in Reverse
Steering_Speed = 1.5  		; Steering wheel velocity factor
Full_Pedal_Time = 2			; [s] seconds from the beginning of pressing of Acceleration or Brake and the full power is applied
Max_Steering_Angle = 30  	; [DEG] Max steering of the front wheels per side
Height_From_Ground = 0.001 	; [m] height of the center of gravity from the ground
Always_Upright = TRUE   	;if set to TRUE vehicle will always remain parallel to the ideal ground, without following terrain's inclinations
Four_Wheels_Steering = FALSE ;if true also rear wheels will steer

;Mesh Groups - just specify using space between them

Rear_Right_Groups = 1
Rear_Left_Groups = 1 
Front_Right_Groups = 2
Front_Left_Groups = 6
;Middle_Right_Groups = 1 
;Middle_Left_Groups = 94 
;Steering_Wheel_Groups = 8

;Front_Wheels_Diameter = 0.750766		;if not specified the module will try to calcualte it automatically
;Rear_Wheels_Diameter = 0.755238				;if not specified the module will try to calcualte it automatically

;Rotations info
;Rear_Axel_Pos = 0.0 -0.2426463 -2.121106   ;if not specified the rear right tyre group barycenter will be used
;Front_Axel_Pos = 0.7848695 -0.2371205 1.54079	;if not specified the front right tyre group barycenter will be used. The left will be considered symmetrical
;Steering_Axis = 0.6513898 0 1.542014		;axis for steering of the front tyres. Just specify the Front - Right tyre rotation, the Front left will be considered symmetrical if not specified the front right wheel groups barycenter will be used
;Steering_Wheel_Pos = 0 0 0.505				;if not specified the steering wheel group barycenter will be used
;Steering_Wheel_Axis = 0 0.487821 -0.872943				; if not specified 0 0 -1 is used

Camber = 0							;[DEG] camber angle of the front wheels, no  camber is implemented for rear wheels.
Here I
Code:
Height_From_Ground = 1 	; [m] height of the center of gravity from the ground
Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #44
fred18
Addon Developer

I don't see the point: you can set whatever value you want
Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #45
gattispilot
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 I don't see the point: you can set whatever value you want
Yes. I was just thinking that rather than where the bottom of the wheels hit. raise it up so that the vessel from a point of view isn't in the ground. Of course you can get a view of the vessel on top of the surface.

Just a comment NOT about your add-on
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments