Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Requests If you have a request for a new addon or want to know where to find a specific addon, ask it here!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Graham2001
Orbinaut

Default Fictional Airliner Markings

I was just thinking that it might be interesting to add fictional airliner 'skins' for use with Kev Shanows 'Alt-747 with Enterprise' & other airliner types modeled for orbiter which can be found through the links below (eg Concorde).

1. Kev Shanow (aka Kev33), Alt-747 with Enterprise

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2589

2. Kev Shanow (aka Kev33), Lockheed Stargazer

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2689

3. JMS, British Airways Concorde BOAC

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4165

4. Sputnik, DC-3 (Probably the best plane for the TOPAC markings)

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4378

I've found some clips on you-tube from 1970's 'All-star disaster films', which could suit with modifications.

1. Skyjacked (1972)

Good shots of the markings of a 'Global Airways' 707 appear in the first minute and a half of films title sequence.

Skyjacked - Main Title Sequence

2. The Pilot (1979)

DC-8 in 'North American Airlines' markings. Good flyover at 0:49-0:57. Good view of the underside markings appears at 02:15. Tailplane markings (Which appear to be a bald eagle in flight) can best be seen at the end of the clip.

'The Pilot'-Movie Trailer-1979

Executive Decision (1996)

Also found two pictures of one of the 747s painted in 'Oceanic' markings for Executive Decision, this is the one used for the shots of the damaged plane after it landed.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7487423

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5653965

These are good references for what the markings colours actually are. In the film they have a 'golden sunset' tint applied to them as the screenshots from the film below show, these provide close-ups of selected markings not fully visible in the pictures linked above such as the red/white/blue bands on the engines.

Last edited by Graham2001; 04-17-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added links to additional aircraft.
Graham2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Graham2001
Orbinaut

Airport'75 (1974)

Boeing 747 in markings of 'Columbia Airlines'.

The following images are of the other side of the Columbia Airlines Boeing 747

Last edited by Graham2001; 08-01-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: IMPDB Appears to be down. Replaced missing images with ones from my own copy of the film.
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

Hmm..... airliner markings are good, but I think I would do some mesh modification to make the -400 and the newest -8 series first.....
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Graham2001
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Penguin SST View Post
 Hmm..... airliner markings are good, but I think I would do some mesh modification to make the -400 and the newest -8 series first.....
Good luck if you choose to do it.

I've managed to locate a picture of one of the first posters for Airport'75 and it shows a slightly different version of the markings with a prominent '747' on the nose. Perhaps this could be an optional for early mark (747-100, 200) 'Columbia Airlines' 747s.

http://www.impawards.com/1974/airpor..._five_xlg.html

An off topic thought, I wonder how many NTSB members have watched the film and in their spare time tried to figure out where that Beechcraft Baron would have actually ended up after the collision.

Last edited by Graham2001; 01-23-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
 Good luck if you choose to do it.

I've managed to locate a picture of one of the first posters for Airport'75 and it shows a slightly different version of the markings with a prominent '747' on the nose. Perhaps this could be an optional for early mark 747s.

http://www.impawards.com/1974/airpor..._five_xlg.html

An off topic thought, I wonder how many NTSB members have watched the film and in their spare time tried to figure out where that Beechcraft Baron would have actually ended up after the collision.
Sorry if I did not made it clearly enough, it was a suggestion to others for doing it. My hands are full with college works and other things, and I have one Orbiter add-on project sitting dormant on my computer already (http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26247), so I definitely won't be able to do it for a long long time, even if I came around to do it. Apologies for bringing up you guys' hopes.
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Graham2001
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Penguin SST View Post
 Sorry if I did not made it clearly enough, it was a suggestion to others for doing it. My hands are full with college works and other things, and I have one Orbiter add-on project sitting dormant on my computer already (http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26247), so I definitely won't be able to do it for a long long time, even if I came around to do it. Apologies for bringing up you guys' hopes.
No need to worry on that count, the thread is open to anyone interested. Look forward to the Chinese Dragons.

Got another two.

Lost Flight (1969)

707 in 'Trans Pacific Airlines' markings from the pilot to an unmade series. Picture is not the greatest, colours appear to be white with green band.

Lost Flight 1969

Airport (1969)

707 in 'Trans Global Airlines' markings from the film that started off the 'All star disaster movie' trend.

Got some other possibilities in mind, but I'll need to see if footage is available.

Last edited by Graham2001; 08-03-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Graham2001
Orbinaut

The Survivor (1981)

Boeing 747 "Sprit of Elizabeth" in the markings of TLA (Don't ask me what that means the film never said.)

This one is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, the film opens with a plane crash and so we never see the complete color scheme (If the film makers even worked one out.)

So I'll leave this one for anyone who likes a challenge.

"It's a beautiful object the plane, now in pieces, trophies for the hunters."

---------- Post added 01-26-13 at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-25-13 at 06:34 PM ----------

After deciding to broaden the scope a little bit....

Another set of 747 markings, 'PAC Atlantic Air' from the gung-ho action movie Drop Zone (1994).

It looks like the film makers painted up a real 747 for the take off shots sadly the whole sequence is at night, so as a guesstimate the colours are Red/White/Blue, thankfully as the film is awful, copies of it seem to be widely available in second hand shops.

Last edited by Graham2001; 01-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Don't forget Trans-American from the Airplane movie! No, I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley...

That was a model of a 707 in the movie, with sound effects for a piston-engine, lol.

I was going to post a pic of the space shuttle-looking craft from Airplane 2 but I can't seem to find a pic of it.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
NukeET
Gen 1:1

Quote:

I live in Utah (non NTSB), and after watching the movie numerous times, I'd have to say somewhere in Heber Valley. They circled endlessly over it for most of the movie.

NukeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Star Voyager
Failed Addon Developer

Trans Orient and Pacific from "The High and the Mighty":

Star Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Don't forget Trans-American from the Airplane movie! No, I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley...

{image}

That was a model of a 707 in the movie, with sound effects for a piston-engine, lol.

I was going to post a pic of the space shuttle-looking craft from Airplane 2 but I can't seem to find a pic of it.
I was going to suggest the same thing.

I just want to tell you good luck, and we're all counting on you.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Graham2001
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Don't forget Trans-American from the Airplane movie
I see we're Flying High!

Now for the other film that killed the 'All-Star Disaster Movie' era.

Airport'79

Simple all white scheme with red 'speedbird' on the tail.

Last edited by Graham2001; 01-27-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
APDAF
Orbinaut

I have drawn a 747 with very fictional markings.
I will have to find it first though.
APDAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
Graham2001
Orbinaut

I've managed to get my hands on a copy of Arthur Hailey (& John Castle)'s "Runway Zero-Eight" which is the written up version of "Flight into Danger" (1956) and which inspired "Zero Hour!" (1957), "Airport'75" (1974) (All flight crew disabled leaving the stewardess to fly the plane.) & "Flying High!" (1980), this should prove an interesting read....

Currently watching "The Survivor" at very slow speed to see if I can sort out the markings, as near as I can tell at this point the lower part of the fuselage is Red, above is a narrow band either White or Green, the windows have a dark blue or purple surround. Abover that is white. All three bands meet at the tail.

As for the name, all I can come up with is "Trans L... Airlines".

Note: Looks like Google is cleaning up YouTube again. Some clips may go unavailable due to copyright complaints.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Been searching the Internet Movie Plane Database (Thanks StarVoyager) and managed to find good images of a privately owned 707 (Love to see this on a 747) from a 1967 James Bond ripoff called "Deadlier Than The Male". I'm guessing the models colours are Aluminium (Bare metal), Red & White, not sure about the leading edge of the tail though.

Also managed to cross one more Gung-Ho action film off my list of possibles.

The Delta Force (1986)

707 in 'American Travelways Airlines' markings. A copy of the film may need to be found to properly resolve the tail markings.

Last edited by Graham2001; 01-27-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #15
ky
Director of Manned Spaceflight

Quote:

The Delta Force (1986)

707 in 'American Travelways Airlines' markings. A copy of the film may need to be found to properly resolve the tail markings.

{image}

{image}
I was just about to mention that movie, I have a VHS copy of it. I've been looking for that repaint for FSX, but couldn't find one.
ky is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Requests