Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
FalconAF
Orbinaut
Default Need Clarification on Visualization Project

It's been a while since I used Orbiter (real life reared it's ugly head), but I went fully retired recently, installed 2010P1 and I want to thank Martin and all here for continuing a superb simulation. 2010P1 works great on my computer and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've been catching up by reading the forum. The Visualization Project has me a bit confused and I can't find the answers to a couple things (I think I've read everything about it I can find). Two main questions, if somebody could get me up to speed about it. They are related to the D3D9 Client , as that is what I would use.

1. I understand Orbiter is still "based" on DirectX7, and the D3D9 Client is an attempt to bring Orbiter "up to" DirectX9 graphic capability. That sounds good. But without going into extensive detail, what benefits will this actually bring to Orbiter? A "general" answer here is all I'm looking for.

2. This question is more specific. I have a TH2G 3-wide monitor setup. In the past using Orbiter 2006 I understood the maximum resolution I could get at the time would be 2054 x 1024, and that was OK. I'm now running 3 larger monitors that span 5040 x 1050. When I load 2010P1 the Video tab actually shows that resolution as a full screen option, but I'm still limited to 2054 x 1050...anything higher and 2010P1 won't load...and that is OK too. I'm not complaining. But I read that those limitations are part of DX7, and if Orbiter was DX9 I could go higher resolution. So...will installing the D3D9 Client actually allow me to go 5040 x 1050? Or will I still be limited because Orbiter's FOV is vertical oriented?

I understand the Visualization Project is a work in progress, and there are some problems with it yet. That's OK. I'm just trying to figure out if I SHOULD install the D3D9 Client because it WOULD allow me to go to higher resolutions across a TH2G 3-wide monitor configuration. Or if I'm expecting too much.

Thanks for any clarification. I didn't want to post this in the actual "stickyed" D3D9 Client thread as it would be buried down in the thread, and may not actually be appropriate there in the first place.

Thanks again to Martin and all here who continue to provide and support Orbiter!

Last edited by FalconAF; 09-24-2011 at 09:23 AM.
FalconAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
jarmonik
Beta Tester

You won't lose anything when installing the D3D9Client you can still run the default orbiter with DX7. You should be able to find multible answers from the page 21 of the sticky thread. Start from the post #303.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthr...&postcount=303
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
FalconAF
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 You won't lose anything when installing the D3D9Client you can still run the default orbiter with DX7. You should be able to find multible answers from the page 21 of the sticky thread. Start from the post #303.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthr...&postcount=303
Thanks! I thought I had read "everything", but totally missed the 3-wide screenshots posts. Also I wasn't clear on whether I needed a separate 2010P1 install to "test" the D3D9 Client, and you answered that.

Time to experiment!

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Jarmonik,

OMG! The D3D9 Client is incredible! I'm getting 5040 x 1050 across 3 TH2G monitors with over 200 FPS with the hi-rez Earth textures. This has been a dream come true for me for Orbiter.

Thank you (and all others involved) for your present and future work on the DX9 client!
FalconAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project