Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Forum Space Station Project news & discussions for all OFSS versions.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #91
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 At this point, no one has yet been able to fill this mission. If you think you can do it, then do it and post your scenario please.

As a general note to everyone; I know I haven't been able to work on this project as often as we would all like, but if I don't have pilots to fly these missions, then I will rapidly lose interest in keeping the project alive.
I can appreciate the frustration, Tex. Your work on this project has been truly amazing, and the resulting station is absolutely stunning. I'm sure I speak for many, Tex ... hang in there and we'll get this Space Station built.

As a general message to others half-interested in this project but wondering if it's worth trying, let me just say that the suite of vehicles you get to fly is amazing. I started on the DG and rapidly switched over to the XR ships and pretty much stayed there because they are awesome! But this project has introduced me to flying a whole series of ships I would never have otherwise done - e.g. the Russian craft, the CTV and the Shuttle. You also get to manipulate some superb meshes for the components. For a while, I was documenting the "OFSS for the rest of us" a la "Go Play in Space", so more beginner and intermediate pilots could engage with this project. I'd be happy to do more of this if you all want.

On the flight roster - I suggest we do a ready-check on the remaining pilots, with say a 5 day response-timeout, and then re-load the roster with those ready to fly. As mentioned in a previous post, I've done the flight 14 to check it out (and because it's home to me flying the XR-5). I don't want to just post the final SCN file without being asked to fly the mission for real (it feels wrong to me), but if necessary, I'll do it immediately so we can move on to 15.

-from an OFSS fan!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #92
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEvan
 Ok. I'll see if I can fly it. I've never flown an XR5 before, but how hard can it be?
Let's hold off for a later mission. I'm confident one will open up, but for now I think you will need some experience in the XR5 before tackling this flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc3891
 If its not done by the time I get off of work tonight I'll fly it and post it
Thanks! It is your mission now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 On the flight roster - I suggest we do a ready-check on the remaining pilots, with say a 5 day response-timeout, and then re-load the roster with those ready to fly.
Good idea. I'll start contacting the remaining pilots to see who is still interested in flying their mission.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #93
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Ok. Would learning how to fly the Ariane 5 and Soyuz help as well?
EricEvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #94
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEvan View Post
 Ok. Would learning how to fly the Ariane 5 and Soyuz help as well?
Eric - suggest you jump into Flight 1 and learn as you go. (Download the latest OFSS package - it has a roll-up of all the flights as scenario files). The Soyuz craft have a beautiful launch sequence on autopilot. One you get into orbit, apart from some ship-specific key sequences (e.g. to ready the engines), the core simulation sill feels the same. Soyuz is interesting though because of the relatively much less powerful thrusters, and getting used to pulse mode thrusting too. Ariane - she's a sexy craft to fly too.

Have a look for some of my earlier posts on some of the first flights - they may be useful for you.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #95
Tex
O-F Administrator

I've gotten no response from the flight #15 pilot. I've contacted all remaining pilots for OFSS and I can tell you as of now we do need a replacement for the last flight, #24. Possibly others, I'll keep you posted as they get back to me.

I also need a replacement for the current flight. Hopefully someone who hasn't flown yet and isn't slated to in the future. Let me know here if you want the flight! If you are slated for a future flight, but would rather switch your flight for this one, you can do that!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #96
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

I'm still up for #22 Soyuz TMA.
Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #97
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 I'm still up for #22 Soyuz TMA.
Sorry, I added this bit in maybe before you saw it.

Quote:
If you are slated for a future flight, but would rather switch your flight for this one, you can do that!
If you're interested, if not, no problem, you still have #22 as of now.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #98
usmc3891
OFSS III Pilot

I'm still for my original 17 mission if you want me to fly that one too.
usmc3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #99
Chub777
Orbinaut

I can still fly mission 23.
Chub777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #100
Tex
O-F Administrator

..Still looking for a pilot... Anyone? I don't care who, but you need to be able to fly the space shuttle of course!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #101
Scav
Mostly Harmless

I'll sign up for that one as backup to anyone who hasn't flown yet and wants to take this one (in other words, they get dibs). I'm prepared to fly it this week as RL permits.

With your blessing, of course.
Scav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #102
Tex
O-F Administrator

Sounds good. Guess we'll wait through this week, if no one takes it, then you got it!
Thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #103
astrosammy
Dash!

I would also be interested. But I don't know if I'm really qualified, as the initiator of OFSS-1 I flew a mission at the very beginning of the OFSS programm.
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #104
Tex
O-F Administrator

You haven't flown anything for OFSS-III so you are qualified!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #105
astrosammy
Dash!

Well OK, I'm always ready to fly!
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station