Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 The problem is also, you need to remember that you would need precision guidance to get the package to its destination then. Even 15 km away from the landing site of the crew would mean the package is effectively lost.
Um why would it be lost? I am looking at the OFMM wiki and somehow a few objectives got on there specifically

Quote:
O30003 Establish a grid network of permanent weather stations on Mars.
In my mind the best way to observe Martin weather in detail is to have 'weather stations' every 10 - 40 longitude. Also the MSEP could collect seismic activities as well. (not simulated more likely) but in order to do this properly the experiments cannot be grouped up all in the same place.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 Um why would it be lost? I am looking at the OFMM wiki and somehow a few objectives got on there specifically
Because time is honey. If you need to seek a payload inside a 500 km ellipse, even if you have a radio beacon, it can take a lot of time.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
 Because time is honey. If you need to seek a payload inside a 500 km ellipse, even if you have a radio beacon, it can take a lot of time.
I agree, except for the part about time. Time tastes awful on toast.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Alright I can go with that. So around a circle with the landing site at the center, 1 package every what, \pi/4 around the center?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 Alright I can go with that. So around a circle with the landing site at the center, 1 package every what, \pi/4 around the center?
In a perfect world. Yes.

But the reality is not perfect.

If you want to have the packages near you, you should have a radio beacon marking the landing site already there, or better land them with the same methods as the crew.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 In a perfect world. Yes.

But the reality is not perfect.

If you want to have the packages near you, you should have a radio beacon marking the landing site already there, or better land them with the same methods as the crew.
I like perfect worlds

Like the UCGO probe or landing beacon? The landing beacon can be a-part of the package.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #22
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Well, I don't want to land the beacon based on a huge error ellipse without correction by a human pilot. This is gambling with the lives of the first crew otherwise, if the beacon got deployed at a bad place.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 Well, I don't want to land the beacon based on a huge error ellipse without correction by a human pilot. This is gambling with the lives of the first crew otherwise, if the beacon got deployed at a bad place.
I guess we have a huge control on where the packages get placed. If they where placed by land vehicle anyway. 10km-5km radius wouldn't be that bad of a drive. I think it would be fairly easy, just aim at 90E or 0N or whatever...

Farther out might be more interesting. For placement anyway wouldn't this be cool? how about a star type launcher that has 8 beacons launched in a circle and at an angle all at the same time. Wherever it lands is where the package goes. (-not being serious. )
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
Izack
Non sequitur

I think the UCGO probe is out of the question. Sure, you could land accurately next to it, but the probe itself cannot be landed accurately.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

I haven't actually tried it yet, but why can't the ucgo probe be landed accurately?
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #26
Izack
Non sequitur

The only control you have over it is the latitude, longitude, altitude and inclination of its release. After that, it will land itself somewhere on the other side of the planet. You've got to guess where it is going to go and 'eyeball it' on Map and Orbit MFDs.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 The only control you have over it is the latitude, longitude, altitude and inclination of its release. After that, it will land itself somewhere on the other side of the planet. You've got to guess where it is going to go and 'eyeball it' on Map and Orbit MFDs.

Ummm, just ran a quick check on it and it DOES have the ability for manual control. Would this not make landing much more accurate?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 Ummm, just ran a quick check on it and it DOES have the ability for manual control. Would this not make landing much more accurate?
And also redundant?

If the landing will be manual, may as well send the package down without XPDR beacons, no?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #29
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Point taken.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #30
Izack
Non sequitur

Just trying to avoid unnecessary complexity. I have to say there's quite enough of that already.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM