Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
destinos
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 Is it also possible he adjusted the FOV to high? Change the FOV to 10 then look at the sun from Mercury. That's pretty close to how you would see it with your own eyes for real. More practical though, I found a FOV of 30 while in LEO or Moon trips to be perfect, but when doing trips to any other planet FOV 40 seems to be nice.
I dunno, from what i know about photographic lenses at least, FOV 50 is the closest thing to human vision.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
 that was scene was beautiful

take a look at this picture

i found it on experiencetheplanets.com

Exactly. Does anyone know if it's possible to rewrite the sun as a spherical object and then maybe lay parts of this image over it as a texture?
[IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/book.png[/IMG]
destinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #17
ncc1701d
Orbinaut
Default Directory of Sunshine

I love that movie sunshine. I listened to the directors commentary and he said he was directly inspired for the scene by that famous Venus transit photo. Although even he said he got confused little weather it was Venus or Mercury that was in that transit photo.
ncc1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
destinos
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701d View Post
 I love that movie sunshine. I listened to the directors commentary and he said he was directly inspired for the scene by that famous Venus transit photo. Although even he said he got confused little weather it was Venus or Mercury that was in that transit photo.
That makes sense then, because the proportions seem about the same in the two images. Was the Venus shot taken from a ground-based observatory. Either way you'd be getting a pretty high field compression between the Venus and the Sun, which is probably why it looks so large.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #19
legios
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701d View Post
Really? That movie's plot was horrendous.

1. Why was a manned crew even sent? I didn't see anything that couldn't have been done by a robot.

2. On that note, how could there not be an error check for a manuever that could potentially vaporize the spacecraft? At least two people on the ship should have had to verify it. AND, the computer should have an error check as well. AND the computer should have automatically positioned the sun shield. Hell, I get an "are you sure" when I'm just trying to close my browser.

3. Why did the astronauts behave so irresponsibly and crazy? Do we stop screening the psych profiles of astronauts in the future? Do we stop putting together crews that mesh psychologically? Ugh.

4. With the fate of the entire, (I mean ENTIRE) human race on the line, why would any crew stop and try and rescue a ship of 5 guys. I mean, their loss would have been tragic...but pick them up on the way home. Seriously.

I could go on, but the movie insulted my intelligence on so many levels.
legios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #20
Hartmann
Orbinaut

A sun in orbiter with a solid surface and radiation pressure, with real textures and sun spots,CME, it could make a flyby very interesting.

Sunshine... well, i like the movie, but is very difficult find a realistic space movie, only apolo XIII is very real . almost every space movie has errors or mistakes.
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
destinos
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
 A sun in orbiter with a solid surface and radiation pressure, with real textures and sun spots,CME, it could make a flyby very interesting.
Yeah! What do we need to do to make this happen? I don't see why we couldn't just treat the data like any other planetary body that's in Orbiter now.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #22
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Can't a "planet" be placed into a very tight orbit around the sun? ~10 km or so. Would that cause problems with lighting?
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
DagoO
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinos View Post
 Hey all,

I was taking a 'tour' of the system last night, centering the camera on different things, when i noticed that the sun doesn't seem to be a three dimensional sphere like the planets are. Am I right about this? Does it change appearance if you fly close enough to it? If not, is there any movement to change this? seems like it'd be pretty easy to do.
I made a 3D sun if it can helps.

It can be founded on Orbithangar, but it's only a beta so it don't looks perfect.

To stay in subject the sun in orbiter is not supposed to be visited, Martin doesn't work it a lot, it's not usefull.
DagoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
JamesG
Orbinaut

Thats too bad because a close approach to the sun (completely impossible in real life) would be extremely dramatic for the visuals, and for the tremendous velocities involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaito View Post
 I flew into the sun once in orbiter...Orbiter then gave me a funky orbit. I guess it didn't like that
Yeah, I think when you cross its disk, Orbiter "kills you". At least you didn't get warped 800 AU out into interstellar space!

Last edited by JamesG; 01-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #25
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinos View Post
 I dunno, from what i know about photographic lenses at least, FOV 50 is the closest thing to human vision.
It depends entirely on how big your monitor is and how far you sit from it.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #26
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

Quote:
Can't a "planet" be placed into a very tight orbit around the sun? ~10 km or so. Would that cause problems with lighting?
You could probably put an object in an orbit a meter away from the center of the sun.

It can be done with an emissive planet, but at least in my opinion it doesn't look too good.

It also clogs up your planet list just that little bit.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #27
Goth
Occasional orbinaut

If you want to see the billboard really close and "land" on the Sun before you'll be thrown away from the solar system: my trip to the Sun
Goth is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project