Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #61
Juanelm
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgonzo View Post
 Hehe... this is getting silly. I've now done it in under 1100s! Some of the stuff that I'm trying to pull goes way beyond insanity. Under 1000s is my ultimate goal, but I doubt very much if this is possbile. I'd love to be proved wrong.
Im intrigued...how??
Juanelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #62
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 What was your trick to getting your time under 1100 seconds? I mean there comes a point where you simply can't re-enter any faster or fly any faster above the atmosphere.
My current motto: "Harder, faster, more insane". I'm basically using the same mission profile as the playback, but pushing it right to its limits. Reentry now spends quite a lot of time with hull temperature in the red.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #63
Juanelm
Donator

Did it in 1320s, cahotic. My approach now is to use as much fuel as possible for acceleration (13km/s or more), then with the last remaining fuel decelerate a little (to 11km/s) and then use the remaining fuel to push myself down into the atmosphere, at orbital speeds. Then I have to to not bounce, but not burn up in the atmosphere (and there is a very thin line between the two). Very tricky...
Juanelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #64
James.Denholm
Addon ponderer

Heh... I bet NASA would love to hire you guys...
James.Denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #65
Robsoie
Orbinaut

Quote:
 I've just done another run, beating 20 minutes this time. 1191s. Playback is on orbit-hangar if you want to take a look:
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3669

No modifications were done to the craft. The standard XR2 launch to ISS scenario was selected, payload, passengers, fuel and LOX dumped before launch.

I may be able to shave up to a minute off this time by braking later and lower and having a steeper descent onto ASC. I could probably raise the cruise speed to 11.75km/s or possibly 12km/s, but that will be really pushing it.
Using this playback flight datas, i built a scenario using the same trick as in the
Racing5DG
one :

http://files.filefront.com/Agentgonz.../fileinfo.html

Just extract the folders in your Orbiter directory, and launch the scenario named "Agentgonzo-racing.scn" .

Basically in this scenario, you are in a Ravenstar that is on the KCS runway next to Agentgonzo XR2 . The scenario starts and Agentgonzo XR2 begin its flight that will have him landing in Ascension Island in less than 20 minutes, so do not lose time or you will not be able to get ahead of him.

This way you can try to beat his record while having at any time a visual on him, like in a racing simulation.

I did not removed Agentgonzo comments, so you can always use his hints.
Good luck.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #66
pete.dakota
Donator

OK, using your method, Gonzo, I've just done a KSC - Ascension flight in 21 minutes and 36 seconds. I probably could have shaved off an extra minute if I hadn't overshot the island and came back around. Also my final approach was much slower than yours.

I'm determined to get under 20 minutes!

-----Post Added-----

Right. Just done a flight in 20 minutes and ONE second. 20:01 on the MET. Annoying, but I'm happy none-the-less.

The issue seems to be the trade off between fuel, speed and time. Much faster than 11.5km/s at ~72 means I have burned into my de-orbit fuel and I'm going faster; so the inability to slow down to re-enter is exponentially more apparent.

Unless of course I perform the pitch around and decel burn earlier, but then that's less time spent in cruise, which even though is faster than 11.5 (around 11.8km/s), means re-entry takes longer. So the net effect is a longer flight.

11.5km/s, with only the default fuel tanks seems to be right on the money. I can't right now think of any way to get it faster.
pete.dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #67
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Gonzo, I just watched the replay and that was hands-down the craziest and coolest flight I've ever seen!

Be advised, however, that mach 40 atmospheric flight (in addition to being slightly insane) will void the XR2's warranty...

Great job!
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #68
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 Be advised, however, that mach 40 atmospheric flight (in addition to being slightly insane) will void the XR2's warranty...
That's OK, they can console themselves in the knowledge that they are helping the environment with all the ruined XR2 airframes creating a new haven for marine life off the coast of Ascension.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #69
Eagle
The Amazing Flying Tuna Can

Holy ! Talk about Agentgonzo's wild ride! Had a complete conversation with ing Betty too!

Anyone who can fly a profile anywhere near that has my utmost respect.

Thanks for posting the playback.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #70
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
The insurance company representatives at Wideawake are having kittens...

Look at what these people are doing with your baby, doug!
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #71
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Yes, we are pushing it to the limits. Btw, just how long can the XR2 withstand those redline temperatures? 20 minutes? I hope so!

-----Post Added-----

Quote:
 My current motto: "Harder, faster, more insane". I'm basically using the same mission profile as the playback, but pushing it right to its limits. Reentry now spends quite a lot of time with hull temperature in the red.
Can we see an updated playback with those temperatures? :D
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #72
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

I think I can see the ORRL slogan now...

"Breaking XR-2's since 2008"
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #73
pete.dakota
Donator

OK, just did 19 minutes and 52 seconds. Absolute, fastest, hardest I think I can manage. The decel burn used all of my remaining main fuel. And the entry dropped me right on top of the island - meaning I had to nose dive straight down the make the runway.

Good fun!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #74
HiPotOk1978
ReFuel L.L.C CEO

Just downloaded and watched the psycho muppet's playback

Um... Christ dude, I am not what to say... Is Jupiter really more massive than all the other stuff orbiting the sun? Where is your proof

and someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he a big ball of plasma more than he wasn't?

--Edit--
I am still absorbing this.... finally went subsonic 1500m from the deck!
HiPotOk1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #75
pete.dakota
Donator

19 minutes and 42 seconds. Never going to do any faster than that. And I got a playback of this one. How you've done it in less than 18 minutes, Gonzo, I've no idea.

-----Post Added-----

Curse you, photobucket, for not warning me about picture resizing. And also, why does the HUD and yellow text info not show up in pictures?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges