Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #16
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 Uh, Fred... That's fan-made.
oh now I get it, so I stick with my original comment. Sorry for the misleading link but I was misleaded as well!
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Unstung
Orbinaut

The beginning of the trailer reminds me of some potential effects global warming will have decades in the future, with famine as a result of low precipitation in the Great Plains, causing a permanent Dust Bowl. I wonder if global warming will be the cause of humanity's decline in Interstellar.
Unstung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Scott Lowther sums up my feelings on it.

Quote:
The earlier teaser made me think that it’d be a pro-space exploration movie, but it’s looking more like a “oh, crap, we *gotta* go into space or we’re gonna die” movie. And that’s fine, but it’s perhaps not the best “message movie” to get regular folks all excited about space.

But so long as it’s a “doom approaches,” movie, I gotta say that the tagline hits just the right note for me:
At a certain point the the OMG Thermo-geddon/We're all gonna die! premise becomes eye roll worthy .

That said, cool spaceship bro
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsci123 View Post
The music that's in the trailer also appeared in the movie "V for Vendetta". I hate it when they recycle popular music like this.
RisingFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Ghostrider
Donator

Well, there is music made specifically for trailers. Two Steps from Hell features a lot in many trailers, especially their Heart of Courage piece.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
 Well, there is music made specifically for trailers. Two Steps from Hell features a lot in many trailers, especially their Heart of Courage piece.
Yes and Kevin McLeod's music appears in every amateur's YouTube video. Doesn't mean a multimillion budget movie should do the same.

And yes, StarGate experimented with "alternate dimensions" and time travel. And I thought that most of the time they attempted that, they produced the worst episodes...
RisingFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Hlynkacg

Quote:
The music that's in the trailer also appeared in the movie "V for Vendetta". I hate it when they recycle popular music like this.
Few fans, or studio editors tasked with putting a trailer together for that matter, have access to a composer and full orchestra so the "recycling" is to be expected.
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 Yes and Kevin McLeod's music appears in every amateur's YouTube video. Doesn't mean a multimillion budget movie should do the same.
Well, if they haven't the soundtrack ready they cannot use it and you don't want the audience to hear the soundtrack early on because that can detract from the experience. It's not the director's choice anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 And yes, StarGate experimented with "alternate dimensions" and time travel. And I thought that most of the time they attempted that, they produced the worst episodes...
They were still funny. Do you think we'll see Michael Caine with a goatee being evil?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstung View Post
 The beginning of the trailer reminds me of some potential effects global warming will have decades in the future, with famine as a result of low precipitation in the Great Plains, causing a permanent Dust Bowl. I wonder if global warming will be the cause of humanity's decline in Interstellar.
That seems to be the consensus on reddit. Also, there was a post on reddit today which summarizes my problem with the premise:

Quote:
"The world doesn't need any more engineers. We didn't run out of planes and television sets. We ran out of food."

That doesn't sound right. Engineers are useful for improving agriculture techniques.
So, basically, you have to go through a wormhole to find a solution to the global warming problem? Seriously?

Last edited by kamaz; 05-17-2014 at 07:16 PM.
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
 So, basically, you have to go through a wormhole to find a solution to the global warming problem? Seriously?
thus my eyerolling.

That said the tag-line, Mankind was born on Earth but it isn't isn't meant to die here. is all sorts of
Old 05-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #26
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaz View Post
Only if you take your representatives along...
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
Columbia42
Orbinaut

There have been many points in our history where we thought we had exhausted the Earth's resources (Malthus, etc.) but then we found ways to get around that. Theoretically, one could say that the Earth's resources are unlimited, as long as we continue to develop new technology to use these resources in more creative ways. That being said, at some point when the resources we depend on become scarce enough, the cost of technological innovation which would allow us to continue living on Earth could theoretically outstrip the cost of interstellar travel. For instance, if we for some reason were to run out of land, we could build farms and cities on the ocean floor, there's plenty of land there. But if we had the option of wormhole travel and a reasonably habitable world to go to, IMO that begins to look like the more attractive option, maybe even the less expensive one. So who knows? It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to come up with a really good reason for us to leave Earth, hopefully they aren't lazy about it...
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #28
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

But this reasoning still misses the point. Assume the problem is that we will run out of land. Assume that this is because land use increases 10% per year. This means that the land use doubles every 70 years. So your newly discovered planet-beyond-the-wormhole can only provide enough land for another 70 years of growth. In 70 years, you'd have to find two more habiltable planets, and in the next 70 years four more habitable planets, and so on. (Actually probably you'll need twice that, because each planet will likely be irreparably destroyed in the process.) So if the galaxy has 1000 habitable planets, then the entire stock will be exhausted in 700 (350) years.

That's completely ignoring the fact that each habitable planet is probably going to have, you know, inhabitants, which may not like the idea of taking their land.

And the real paradox is that the technology which will have to be developed to survive the global warming is pretty much the same technology which is needed to colonize the solar system...
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
Ghostrider
Donator

Well, maybe they need the place to grow stuff on because they can't do it anymore on Earth. Or something else. We'll see when the movie comes out. As for me, I don't care if we need to get to another star system because we've run out of Twinkies. I'd freaking go and bring those Twinkies back, for this Twinkies-starved Earth.
Thanked by:
Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 AM   #30
fsci123
Future Dubstar and Rocketkid

I spent the last 24 hours pondering the realism of the movie trailer. I kinda invented a scenario in which there is a food catastrophe and a desperate need to get off the planet.

Theoretically, runaway glacier melt and desertification could make large swaths of land unfarmable. A combo punch of a rising coastline and a food price singularity devastate cities and industry...causing more economic chaos. Nation states, unable to maintain security and reverse the course of climate change, turn to the heavens for an answer and KABOOM KABOOM...we got Interstellar.

Of course there are many problems with this scenario. Any society capable of detecting and traveling to a stable wormhole in addition to building a large spaceship with additional plans to colonize the opposite end of the terminus should be able increase the efficiency of traditional farming if not inventing entirely new farming methods(vertical farming, zero-g farming, artificial ecologies, etc)...

I also hope they make the wormhole even more realistic...maybe they could depict it being 400au away from sol(the only way for it to remain stable)...and have some scene where they try to match the velocity of the wormhole to avoid making it unstable upon transit.

Last edited by fsci123; 05-18-2014 at 04:02 AM.
fsci123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge