Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #46
blixel
Donator

I had another go at this last night. For now, I'm sticking with the "original" classic. (MECO around 11.5k-12k and using main engines for braking. As opposed to the faster method dgatsoulis is using.)

My first attempt went really well. I was making good time (as you can see in the screenshot below) but I blew it in the last few seconds by opening the retro doors too soon. I thought 200 m/s would be slow enough, but it's not. Hull breach.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84fa1831.png

My second attempt went just as well as the first, and ended with an equally stupid outcome. In my rush to get the XR2 down onto the runway, I wasn't paying attention to my airspeed. So when it came time to raise the nose and reduce v/s, I instead cratered the XR2 into the end of the runway.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4a7f5b95.png

Otherwise either one of these should have been a new best time for me. Not by much. I'm still a full minute+ from wheel stop, but I think I would have shaved another 10-15 seconds off my time.
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #47
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

My latest run. Almost a perfect flight, timed at 17 mins 15 seconds.
I thought I was actually under 17 mins when I stopped. Looking at the upper panel was a disappointment. MECO at 14703 m/s

Playback attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSC-WIN_1715.zip (36.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by dgatsoulis; 08-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #48
vsfx
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilchef View Post
 I've a long way to go with this one but in any event, I just had my best flight ever, Wheel stop at 32:39
Good job TFC Added to the scoreboard.

Having kill rotation on for most of the flight seemed to give you better control than in your earlier attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixel View Post
 My first attempt went really well. I was making good time (as you can see in the screenshot below) but I blew it in the last few seconds by opening the retro doors too soon. I thought 200 m/s would be slow enough, but it's not. Hull breach.
Any clue on the max. DNP for opening the retro doors, I can't find it in the XR manual? I suppose they are designed to be used in a vacuum not at landing, especially when landing speeds are in excess of 400 mph.
vsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #49
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsfx View Post
 Any clue on the max. DNP for opening the retro doors, I can't find it in the XR manual? I suppose they are designed to be used in a vacuum not at landing, especially when landing speeds are in excess of 400 mph.
41 kPa. Slightly higher than the gear which fail at 39 kPa. Same value for all the XR spacecrafts.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #50
vsfx
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 My latest run. Almost a perfect flight, timed at 17 mins 15 seconds.
Time updated.

I posted previously that agentgonzo would not need to re-install Orbiter as his record was untouchable, I really think I'm going to be proved wrong .
Thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #51
Shifty
Orbinaut

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this challenge. So far, I've launched two pilots into heliocentric orbits where they died of hypoxia spinning out of control in the cold loneliness of interplanetary space, burned up many pilots attempting re-entry at speeds in excess of Mach 30, done many spiral shaped, high-velocity, nose down water landings, etc. But, I'm slowly refining down, watching y'all's videos and figuring it out. I'll be wheels down eventually.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #52
blixel
Donator

Lesson learned on this flight. Make sure "Disable Vertical Sync" is not checked.

Such a great flight... ruined by not having any brakes at the end. Wheel stop would have been well under 20 minutes if I had brakes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSC to WIN - Blixel 20130818-no brakes.zip (127.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by blixel; 08-19-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Fixed the attachment
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #53
blixel
Donator

So close to coming in under 20 minutes. Wheel stop was just 4 seconds more than AgentGonzo's time. (Referring to his original speed run where he used the main engine for braking.)

Wheel stop at 20:02, MECO at 12019 m/s.

I'd really like to get my time under 20 minutes, so I may try this a few more times, but otherwise, I'm about ready to move on to the other variation of this flight that doesn't use the main engine for braking.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSC to WIN - Blixel 20130818.zip (102.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by blixel; 08-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #54
thepenguin
Flying Penguin

I had some autopilot troubles during a flight (it was actually human error, but who's counting?). anyway, there are some pretty cool images that came out of it, so I uploaded them to an album here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=941
I'll keep trying on the mission (btw, I have the log files from the autopilot that show altitude, airspeed, hull temps, etc. if anybody cares to see them.)

Last edited by thepenguin; 08-19-2013 at 01:57 AM.
thepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #55
tinfoilchef
Orbinaut
Cool

New personal best time ever. Wheel stop at 22:35!!

Orbiter flight recording (need 7zip to open):

http://tinfoilchef.com/orbiter/KSC-WIN-22-35.7z

Never mind video of the previous flight, video of this one will hit youtube *today*!
tinfoilchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #56
vsfx
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixel View Post
 Wheel stop at 20:02, MECO at 12019 m/s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilchef View Post
 New personal best time ever. Wheel stop at 22:35!!

Never mind video of the previous flight, video of this one will hit youtube *today*!
Updated both. Look forward to the video TFC
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #57
tinfoilchef
Orbinaut
Cool

Here's the video of that last flight:

tinfoilchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #58
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
 Ok, this looks great! where exactly does that 86164.1 come from, though?
I think it has something to do with the seconds in a day (86400), but I'm not sure.
Sidereal period of the Earth (how long it takes to rotate 360 on its axis).
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #59
jthill
Orbinaut

gonzo's landing was so cool I had to at least try it. I've been at it for hours now. That workload. My checklist got longer, a dose of "again?", a quick review to put it away and I thought about what's left, mentally making room, then just looked at it. I got a little flash of that flip and snorted and the moment was over.

But it took me a couple seconds to remember what I had been doing and I realized I had been lost in admiration.
jthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #60
vsfx
Orbinaut

I've finally been able to have another try at this. Here is the far from amazing run where I achieved my first successful speed run . Had some confusion on the approach to WIN, which cost me some time I'm sure.

Flight time: 23:51 (was 23:40 as flown live) and MECO was 11,812 m/s.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges

Tags
ksc, run, speed, wideawake, xr2