Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #856
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

Alert rescinded!

The conjunction has turned "Green", and so the crew are no longer required to take shelter in the Soyuz.
Orbinaut Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #857
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

RIA Novosti: NASA plans to use ISS in preparation for flights to Mars
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #858
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 07/04/2011.

Conjunction Alert:
Due to the thruster firings during the Soyuz TMA-21/26S docking activities, ISS lost about 60-70m in altitude. This is a more or less common effect but it has brought another conjunction with space debris into the near-term, with Object 33329 (Chinese CZ-2C rocket debris). TCA (Time of Closest Approach) is 09/04 (Saturday) at 5:17 PM GMT. Probability of collision calculations will become valid tomorrow morning (Friday), followed by the Go/No Go decision for developing the Russian maneuver cyclogram (ops programming) early on Friday afternoon. A DAM (Debris Avoidance Maneuver), if required, would then be conducted on 09/04 at ~2:59 PM GMT. Ballistic experts continue to monitor the conjunction.
Thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #859
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Aviation Week: NASA May Test Advanced Life Support On ISS:
Quote:
NASA is considering a commercial proposal for long-term tests of advanced environmental control and life support system (ECLSS) hardware on the International Space Station (ISS), backing up the original station equipment with potentially more reliable life-support gear designed for human spaceflight beyond low Earth orbit.

{...}
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #860
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 08/04/2011.

Conjunction Update:
The conjunction event with Object 33329 (Chinese CZ-2C rocket debris) reported yesterday has moved out of the probability zones, i.e., PC (Probability of Collision) = 0, and is no longer of concern.
Thanked by:
Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #861
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

Last night, the SPDM "Dextre" placed the FHRC, delivered to the ISS on HTV-2, onto ELC-4, delivered to the ISS on STS-133!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextre via Twitter
 After a couple of false starts, I managed to get the FHRC fastened to ELC4. My FMA of sense of touch is a beautiful thing! The ROBOs were even good enough to rotate my EOTP so the EVA crew on ULF6 can move around it to install some antennas. I was a little concerned about the ROBOs working late last night, but I think we should have kept going with RPCM R&R while we were at it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextre via Facebook
 Oh man, what a night! It was a little challenging getting the FHRC engaged onto the ELC FRAM, but once again my FMA or sense of touch came through. I guess this is why Canada is the world leader in space robotics! (If I do say so myself.) And just when I thought the ops were complete......the ROBOs commanded me to rotate the EOTP to help out the EVA crew on ULF6! Good thing they tired out before I did-who knows what they would have done next (perhaps an RPCM R&R)!
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #862
Donamy
Beta Tester

Which FRAM ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #863
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Which FRAM ?
FRAM-5 - the one in the center of ELC-4.
Thanked by:
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #864
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 11/04/2011.

CDR Dmitri Kondratyev performed hardware setup and test activation of the TEKh-43 Radioskaf-B "Kedr" microsatellite in MRM-2 (Mini Research Module-2) "Poisk", connecting it to an 825M3 Orlan battery and checking out its 430 MHz transmitter from the satellite control panel. [The small satellite was named Kedr in honor of the call sign of Yuri Gagarin. It will be activated onboard the station tomorrow, April 12, i.e., Cosmonautics Day, when the world celebrates the anniversaries of the first human flight into space and the first Space Shuttle flight. Development, manufacturing and launch of Kedr is the first phase in Russia's integrated program approved by UNESCO, with the goal to create and operate mini-satellites with a mass less than 100 kg by combined efforts of students across the world. Once Kedr is activated, it will transmit 25 greetings in 15 languages, pictures of Earth, and telemetry data from science hardware and support systems, as well as historical audio recordings. 50 years after Gagarin's flight all ham radio operators across the world thus will have a unique opportunity to hear the famous "Poyekhali" ("Let's Go!") from Earth orbit.]

ARED Update:
The ARED (Advanced Resistive Exercise Device), which last week suffered a failure of its right VIS (Vibration Isolation System) x-rotation dashpot, was repaired by the crew over the weekend by replacing all four dashpots (five spares remain). FE-5 Paolo Nespoli later took the device through an unmanned ACO (Activation & Checkout) test. Ground engineers are currently reviewing the results of the test session.

MT Translation:
From 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM GMT, the MT (Mobile Transporter) was moved by the ground from WS-2 (Worksite-2) to WS-5 using the B IMCAs (Integrated Motor Controller Actuators). Russian thrusters were disabled during this period due to load constraints.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #865
Wishbone
Clueless developer

Photos

From CDR-27 blog (taking into account orb's VVI's (very valuable instructions)):
Fixin' ARED:

Last edited by Wishbone; 04-11-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #866
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 12/04/2011.

Robotics Operations:
With Russian thrusters disabled from 2:35 PM - 4:35 PM GMT due to load constraints during MT (Mobile Transporter) travel, major robotics operations are being conducted under ground control, starting at 12:50 PM GMT with MSS (Mobile Service System) power-up and extending until ~10:10 PM GMT with MSS power-down. [Activities involve SPDM (Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator) / SSRMS (Space Station Remote Manipulator System) maneuvers on the MBS (Mobile Base System) on PDGF-3 (Power & Data Grapple Fixture-3) from WS-5 (Worksite-5) to the Lab, SPDM base change from SSRMS to the Lab PDGF, SPDM power-up, and LEE B (Latching End Effector B) diagnostics as part of STS-134/ULF-6 prelaunch checkout requirements.]

Conjunction Advisory:
Ballistics experts are tracking a conjunction with Object 33457 (Chinese CZ-4B Rocket Body) with a TCA (Time of Closest Approach) on 15/04 (Friday) at 10:31 AM GMT. This object is an intact rocket body with good tracking returns. It is classified as a medium concern at this time.

Last edited by Orbinaut Pete; 04-12-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #867
flying coffin
Orbinaut

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. This is way beyond cool!
It reminds me of the time John Jenkins and I were hiking deep in the Superstition mountains. He hiked half way up Bluff spring mountain,
and played his flute, harmonizing with the echoes from Music Mountain.
Oh, how I wish I would have had a tape recorder!

flying coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #868
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 13/04/2011.

Robotics Operations:
With Russian thrusters again disabled from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM GMT due to load constraints during MT (Mobile Transporter) travel, major robotics operations are being continued under ground control, starting at 3:45 PM GMT with MSS (Mobile Service System) power-up and extending until ~8:15 PM GMT with MSS power-down. The SPDM (Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator), still holding the CTC (Cargo Transportation Container) in Arm 1, remains on the Lab PDGF (Power & Data Grapple Fixture) where it was positioned yesterday. [Activities involved moving the MT from WS-2 (Worksite-2) to WS-7, walking off the inchworm-like SSRMS (Space Station Remote Manipulator System) to MBS (Mobile Base System) PDGF-2, followed by base change from MBS PDGF-3 to MBS PDGF-2, release of PDGF-3, and the usual Joint diagnostics as part of STS-134/ULF-6 prelaunch checkout requirements. Tomorrow: Walkoff to MBS PDGF-4.]
Thanked by:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #869
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 14/04/2011.

Robotics Operations:
After yesterday's ground-commanded operations, the SPDM (Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator), still holding the CTC (Cargo Transport Container) in Arm 1, remains on the Lab PDGF (Power & Data Grapple Fixture). The SSRMS (Space Station Remote Manipulator System) is on the MBS (Mobile Base System), on the MT (Mobile Transporter) at WS-7 (Worksite-7).

Window Shuttering:
Protective shutters are closed on the Lab window as long as the SPDM is on the Lab PDGF. Paolo today also closed the JPM (Japanese Pressurised Module) window shutters to prevent the JPM window gear box from overheating due to the current high Beta angle.
Thanked by:
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #870
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

NASA's Expedition 27/28 press kit is now online (PDF, 4.3 MB)!

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News