Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #106
Topper
Addon Developer

Just to explain point 2 of my previous post.

Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #107
drgullen
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 Support for surface base tiles has been deprecated and isn't available for planets using the new planetary textures (which are not using .tex files). The add-on in question is using such surface base tile.
I want to make sure I understand this. Are we not going to be able to land anywhere on Earth? I just tried to touch down on a random piece of land and immediately after wheel stop, I fell through the planet.

Admittedly, it was in an area of lo-res textures, but I still expected to be able to have my ship come to rest on the planet surface.

When you say support has been deprecated, are we saying that landing somewhere is no longer possible?
drgullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #108
jroly
Donator

drgullen, some 3rd party bases had addons which included a tile set which replaced a certain location of planet texture with very high resolution tiles typically around a base. Because the planets are not flat anymore these tiles float above or below the surface.

My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available. You can still land.
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 AM   #109
drgullen
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroly View Post
 drgullen, some 3rd party bases had addons which included a tile set which replaced a certain location of planet texture with very high resolution tiles typically around a base. Because the planets are not flat anymore these tiles float above or below the surface.

My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available. You can still land.

Thanks for the reply. I think I get it now...we won't be able to land on the terrain itself, but at some point in the future, we'll be able to use a tool to replace a certain area with textures that we can build bases on and that Orbiter will recognize as being "solid ground". Is that correct?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 AM   #110
jroly
Donator

Almost right, you can land on the terrain but yes I have seen a vessel fall through the terrain before, it is not ment to happen. You can build bases now or even use the existing ones, the objects get mapped to the terrain so if there is a runway and there is a hill, the runway will go up the hill.

But yes the new tile solution will be recognized as solid. Maybe there is something with your install, I personally never used the low res textures/elevation, I have always had high installed.

Last edited by jroly; 09-17-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #111
drgullen
Orbinaut

Thanks again for the reply. Our wonderful (I'm being sarcastic here, of course) ISP here in Western Canada caps our download capacity, so I was going to wait for release before downloading all the hi-res terrain, just in case it had to change for some reason.

I'll download a chunk of it though and try and land on it and see what happens.

Cheers,
Glen

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-16-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

It turns out the problem is the XR5...

Stock DG landed no problem

XR2 Ravenstar landed no problem

XR5 Vanguard initially does touch the ground as I hear the tire touch noise, but then it immediately falls through the terrain and the world inverts. It reminds me of my heavy drinking days when I was in my 20s.

FWIW, I am using the beta version of the XR5 that I downloaded from one of Doug Beachy's posts on another thread here on this forum relating to a CTD I was getting using the latest official XR planes on the AA website.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas as to what would cause this or how to fix it?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #112
Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

This same sort of thing happens when my IMS2 Touchdown Point/CoG shifting test vehicle attempts to change its CoG too fast after it has landed. If the CoG changes faster than 0.005 m/s in any direction, the landed vehicle rotates 180 degrees and goes underground.

I don't know if this is an IMS2 & XR5 problem or an Orbiter 2015 problem, but it's definitely an odd bug.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Dantassii is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #113
Ripley
Tutorial translator

BIG vehicles?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #114
jroly
Donator

None of the XR vessels are compatible with the Beta, they sometimes work up to when you close/open radiator or lift landing gears the beta crashes. Over 1/2 of the scenarios do not work with them.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #115
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
This same sort of thing happens when my IMS2 Touchdown Point/CoG shifting test vehicle attempts to change its CoG too fast after it has landed.
Since the XR5 is the only one of the bunch with CoG shifting, that sounds like a very probable explanation...

Maybe you could make a minimum code example in the shuttlePB sample that reproduces the behavior, so the Doctor can track down the problem more easily.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #116
JMW
Aspiring Addon Developer

Quote:
 My understanding is Orbiter Beta supports planet texture replacement again but also with editing of the 3d terrain as well, the tool just hasn't been made available.
If that's the case, PLEASE LET'S HAVE IT !!
I didn't think it had been developed yet.
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #117
drgullen
Orbinaut

Quote:
 None of the XR vessels are compatible with the Beta, they sometimes work up to when you close/open radiator or lift landing gears the beta crashes. Over 1/2 of the scenarios do not work with them.
So far, with the XR2 at least, I'm not experiencing any crashes. The only thing I've noticed is that you are forced to deploy the radiator even on Earth because the XR2 computer thinks the vessel is in motion. In the Scenario, it'll say "Landed Earth" yet when you fire it up, your speed is somewhere around 5m/s, but you are actually not moving. As a result, you are unable to turn external cooling on.

Here's my temporary solution to having a proper base...I moved Jarvis to where Vancouver International Airport would be. Now that's a nice view when coming back from space!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #118
mariostivala
Orbinaut

I type "svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter" at SVN checkout command and this is the response:
"Checkout from svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter, revision HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included
Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter'
Can't connect to host 'orbiter-forum.com'."
mariostivala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #119
drgullen
Orbinaut

If you use the beta version of the XR2 found on this forum, it works for the most part. I just took off from my base, did one orbit and landed back at my base.

There is something weird with the physics though, especially on the ground as I found myself having to use kill rotation at times when trying to taxi. Whenever you start the scenario, you start in a slight motion, so you have to hit and hold the brakes until your speed settles, but it won't say zero, it'll say between 5 and 7 m/s. Also as I mentioned, you have to deploy the radiator on Earth otherwise your coolant overheats because external cooling won't come on.

Cheers,
Glen
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #120
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariostivala View Post
 I type "svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
I guess you are Italian. Why are you typing that?

Last edited by Ripley; 09-17-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta

Tags
beta