Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #106
Fabri91
Donator

Went to Hutton a couple of days ago, and am now headed for Sagittarius A*. I'm bringing a Hutton mug along for the ride.

My in-game name is the same one I use here.

Last edited by Fabri91; 10-13-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #107
Mister Kite
discipulus in perpetuum

Nice to see some Hutton Truckers on the Orbiter forum.
Mister Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #108
Fabri91
Donator

Day 2 of my trek to Sag. A*:

Refueling (pic taken from my first day out of the bubble on this particular occasion):

And the end of todays trip:

Man, space is big. But in an Asp with ~40LY jump range it's somewhat less big than in an Cobra with ~18LY jump range. In the map screenshot the bookmarks from my trip to Jaques in said Cobra are still visible.

Last edited by Fabri91; 10-15-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #109
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

You trucked to Jaque in an eagle? you're crazy!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #110
Fabri91
Donator

Hey, I had a window in late July in which I had nothing to do and when the corresponding Community Goal popped up, I had to do it.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #111
Fabri91
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 You trucked to Jaque in an eagle? you're crazy!
I knew I missed something: I meant in a Cobra Mk3. For some reason I wrote Eagle by mistake. Repeatedly. That would be torture.
Thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #112
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Ah, that sounds more managable. Was considering doing the same actually, but I just can't spare that much time just to truck 20'000 lightyears, especially considering I don't even have horizons.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #113
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Ah, that sounds more managable. Was considering doing the same actually, but I just can't spare that much time just to truck 20'000 lightyears, especially considering I don't even have horizons.
Well, Horizons are good, but not in the sense of travelling thousands of lightyears very fast . So far the best experience I've had with Horizons was driving through all kinds of cities including shield-domed ones (these are cool, but lacking internal traffic). Apart from that, diving through lifeless wastelands in a hope of finding some crashed ship or another drone-protected hideout is even more time-consuming, if not just plane boring. It makes some wonderful landscape views somethimes though. I hope they will make it possible to land on planets with atmosphere one day. Not sure about the places with air pressure a couple of thousand times more of that on Earth though. I guess they may add some more funny hull-cracking sounds in regard of this case into the game

I've started to play Elite again some time ago, even decided to take part in the current public event by delivering some rare goods. Made it to Hutton yesterday (a hour of flight, fell asleep a couple of times during it) and after all the station denied access, sumofabitches they are Well, solo mode helped. Got about 50 tons of Hutton mugs now. Yes, I know they want the drinks, not the mugs, but it was only six tons of drinks there (bought it anyway), and I guess I can sell the mugs anywhere else.

Last edited by PeterRoss; 10-17-2016 at 06:47 AM.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #114
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoss View Post
 ...after all the station denied access, sumofabitches they are Well, solo mode helped.
This was one of the more annoying things about Elite for me, and was the reason I started playing entirely in solo mode.

What kind of terrible MMO design calls for stations that can only have a handful of people docked at a time?
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #115
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 This was one of the more annoying things about Elite for me, and was the reason I started playing entirely in solo mode.

What kind of terrible MMO design calls for stations that can only have a handful of people docked at a time?
Agreed. If the station is seeing so much traffic it should be at least upgraded to something more serious like Coriolis.
Still I prefer Open Play - it gives me a warm feeling to meet another Commander in the cold wastes of space between the hordes of NPCs. Although I've never said a word with another human in-game
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #116
Loru

Another system that requires long boring trip: Vela Dock in Medb system. 468 light hours.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #117
Fabri91
Donator

Current location, still on the way to Sag. A*:

Had a cargo hatch malfunction so my Hutton mug is out there somewhere, but most definitely not in my cargo hold anymore.
Thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #118
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
  Had a cargo hatch malfunction so my Hutton mug is out there somewhere, but most definitely not in my cargo hold anymore.
How does it happen?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:57 AM   #119
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Well, I'd assume that the cargo hatch would have to malfunction.
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #120
Fabri91
Donator

That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point:

Jumping and refueling can lead to an occasional slightly-too-close encounter with a star, and cargo hatch failures are common when overheating occurs. Having ran out of heatsinks isn't a help, either.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge