Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #61
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Honestly I've been kind of disappointed with Elite. Maybe I've been completely missing something, but "truck simulator in space" seems to be what's there...
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #62
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

It's what it's always been, so no surprises there...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #63
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Sure, but it just kinda feels disappointing that there's all this space there, but the only things to do are move cargo around or take a randomly-generated mission to go search a dozen randomly-appearing signals in order to fight a bad guy whose difficulty will have nothing to do with the reward for the mission (I got totally owned by some kind of amazing ship on a mission that was only like $5k in rewards, I'm still bitter).

I mean, the graphics are great, but I feel like I might as well be flying around in universe simulator or something. Call me weird, but I would've totally loved to have an actual storyline.

Or maybe I just miss Freelancer.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #64
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 I feel like I might as well be flying around in universe simulator or something.
Natural question is - how can that problem be solved?

If the storyline is the only thing that would do, then how can you combine an infinite wide open world with one?

If not, what else could work?
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #65
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Natural question is - how can that problem be solved?

If the storyline is the only thing that would do, then how can you combine an infinite wide open world with one?

If not, what else could work?
I don't see why you can't have a storyline that visits some subset of that infinite wide open world, and then when done, leaves you in that infinite wide open world.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #66
Izack
Non sequitur

Now bathing in the light of Lambda Crucis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 You have an external camera? I want an external camera!
By default it's ctrl+alt+space. If that doesn't work for you, it's somewhere in the options menu as "classified camera".
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #67
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

classified camera? who ever called it that?

Anyways, can somebody tell me what benefit I get from influence? I can't find a satisfactory answer. Everyone explains what influence means for factions, but since some factions major benefits are influence bonuses, I assume it must benefit the player too, and I assume it's different from reputation?

...they really screwed up that documentation
Old 12-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #68
Izack
Non sequitur

Still at Lambda Crucis. There are a whole slew of brown dwarfs out here. Here's a binary pair of them.

Honestly, I'm not sure about influence/reputation. I've barely touched combat, instead trading until I could afford a decent survey ship (Cobra, in this case) and left for unknown space.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #69
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure about influence/reputation. I've barely touched combat, instead trading until I could afford a decent survey ship (Cobra, in this case) and left for unknown space.
I didn't wait that long and left civilisation with an Adder, a half-decent frame shift drive and not much else. I'm back in the warmth for now after a week out, with half a million credits I got from survey data and selling some stuff I found lying around on the black market, and I'm strugling to decide whether I should spend the money on an intermediary scanner and head back out, or whether I should take a break and try figuring out some of the game mechanics before taking another leave of absence.

Quote:
There are a whole slew of brown dwarfs out here. Here's a binary pair of them.
I found an A-class star that had two brown dwarfs as planets (wasn't the first, though... There seem to be no prestine systems in a radius of at least 500 light years...). Both of them had ring systems, and one of them had a "moon" large enough to hold its own ring system (about 15 earth masses or so...). I'm debating whether it would make sense to pick up a prospector limpet so I could look at the rings in more detail...
Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #70
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

A thing that hurts me is the way they treated the Imperial Courier, by far my favourite spaceship from Frontier - Elite II:

Aside from the redesign, the ship was drastically scaled down (by a factor of ten) from the original.

For me, the Imperial Courier (the original one) still remains one of the finest spaceship of the entire science fiction. This is the original version in a fan art, flanked by a CObra Mk III (i've not found a good screenshot of the actual ship in Frontier - Elite II):

And here my very rough interpretation for Orbiter:

The Courier provides the basis for the spaceship of the leading character of a science fiction story that i'm writing. Maybe in the future i'll make an accurate rendition of that ship for Orbiter.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #71
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Well, what was the courier then is essentially the imperial clipper now. What I truly weep for is the imperial explorer
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #72
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Well, what was the courier then is essentially the imperial clipper now.
I know, I know (facepalm)...

Well,

Ugly. Again.
So... we want compare?

And THAT THING should be the current interpretation of the Courier?
NO. WAY.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #73
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I was more refering to the scale. Yes, the design lost a lot of its classines.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #74
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #75
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 So, "Horizons" isn't a DLC for the game, but a separate game on the same servers?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/
People on the reviews are saying the Steam keys are broken, so maybe it was a mistake?

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge