Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #511
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 2-4 FPS difference. About 37 FPS Quality vs. 40 Performance, in the Arrow cockpit.

Also noticed, as a result of this anomaly, the main display on the Arrow bridge, as well as the HUD, are also blurred and barely legible, when setting to Performance.

**EDIT** Attached are DX9 Client, graphics set for performance mode, and inline DX7, graphics set on performance.
The blurriness is probably created by a mipmap auto-generation. I made a small change in the texture loading algorithm. Let's see it that will fix the problem.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #512
luki1997a
Orbinaut

Hello
I've a question: Is it possible, if after completing the basic D3D9Client, to make it as default/inline client of Orbiter?(I know- martins have to do this) After tweaks to load DGIV and work to get it to be 100% compatible with all add-ons?

BTW thanks for RC22
luki1997a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #513
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki1997a View Post
 Hello
I've a question: Is it possible, if after completing the basic D3D9Client, to make it as default/inline client of Orbiter?(I know- martins have to do this) After tweaks to load DGIV and work to get it to be 100% compatible with all add-ons?
Martin can't use the D3D9Client source code directly in the inline engine due to the GPL lisence. But, it is possible to redistribute the D3D9Client with the Orbiter.

Currently, the situation is somewhat complicated. Martin would have upgraded the inline engine to use DX9 or DX10 twice already with the efforts he has invested in the graphics client interface. And now when we have almost a fully operational client implemented, he's ignoring it. That doesn't make much sence. Unless, he's abandoned the client interface a long ago and is working on to upgrade the inline engine. And in that case every effort invested in the D3D9Client will get wasted. My inspiration to work with this project is pretty low at a moment.

I belive that the CTDs those occur under the D3D9Client could be fix by makeing a few modifications into the Orbiter, but I can't be absolutely sure about it. There are some factors I simply don't know about.
Thanked by:
Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #514
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 The blurriness is probably created by a mipmap auto-generation. I made a small change in the texture loading algorithm. Let's see it that will fix the problem.
Still blurry when set on Performance. In fact, I think it might even be just a bit blurrier
Attached Thumbnails
BlurryArrowRC22.png  
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #515
blixel
Donator

Quote:
 My inspiration to work with this project is pretty low at a moment.
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. Your efforts are hugely appreciated by me, and I'm sure, many others. I don't know what I'd do without D3D9Client ... the thought of 9 to 15 frames per second (20 to 30 tops) is very unappealing to me.
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #516
FordPrefect
Donator

Quote:
 My inspiration to work with this project is pretty low at a moment.
Hello Jarmo! I think I can understand your low motivation at the moment. I just thought to let you know that it seems martins is very busy with real life these days. I conclude that from his statement in this recent post where he writes
Quote:
That is what the external open graphics clients are for: allowing you guys to experiment with new visualisation ideas without having to wait for me. I haven't even got enough time to implement my own ideas these days ...
So I believe this is the reason why you haven't received a reply for now. Of course, I can't speak for martins. I just wanted to let you know.

Your work on the D3D9Client is highly appreciated by many, and I would kill to see you integrate your fantastic new skydome and atmospheric rendering similar to Eric Bruneton's work, planet shine and vessel-vessel self-shadow casting.

Hoping that martins will get back to you within the near future, I am watching your work in awe.

FordPrefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #517
luki1997a
Orbinaut

FordPerfect, and this is why martins should open source for trusted orbinauts(artlav, Dan, jarmonik?). It might help in evolution of Orbiter and no more 4 years break between 2 base releases of Orbiter. ...but it's not proper thread...

Jarmonik! Don't stop work. Your client is better than inline in many ways..(open code, better fps..). The main motivation is: hundreds of happy guys using your client

Let's keep it that way..
Thanked by:
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #518
N_Molson
Addon Developer

I get a CTD when I launch the D3D9 client with LaunchMFD v1.4.4 ; on the same scenario there is no problem with the D3D7 client. Not a new issue, though (sorry if that was posted before).
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #519
Weirdo Earthtorch
Orbinaut

What Ford Prefect said.

Please continue your excellent work on this client. I am one of those who is following this with great interest, not least because it a) doubles my framerate under Win7 & Vista (although it is 50% slower than inline graphics under WinXP) and b) allows multi-monitor spanning, plus all the other visual goodies.

Many thanks!
Weirdo Earthtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #520
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 I get a CTD when I launch the D3D9 client with LaunchMFD v1.4.4 ; on the same scenario there is no problem with the D3D7 client. Not a new issue, though (sorry if that was posted before).
I was able to reproduce the problem but it do happen with the inline D3D7 engine as well. It's probably a resource allocation/release issue.

Here is the procedure:
1. Open DG-S ready for takeoff scenario
2. Set target to ISS [TGT]
3. Select page 3/3 by pressing [MOD]
4. Switch cockpit modes a few cycles. [F8]

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 Still blurry when set on Performance. In fact, I think it might even be just a bit blurrier
I don't know what's going on there. For some reason the driver/hardware will prefer to use a second level mipmap instead of the top level. The top level is the only usable level. The second level is blurred. The one stored in the dds file is even more blurred than the auto-generated ones. You could try to setup the MipMapLODBias paramater to "-1" but it's unlikely going to work.
In your screen shot, it looks like the HUD is also blurred. So, it's either a driver failure or a global configuration issue. I don't know and I have done everything I can.
Thanked by:
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #521
luki1997a
Orbinaut

Hey
Would you be able to implentent feature described here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project...&goto=firstnew?
I think that, it will be nice. The main target of work is to present main idea of animated water. Maybe it'll be implentent into inline client
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #522
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:

I don't know what's going on there. For some reason the driver/hardware will prefer to use a second level mipmap instead of the top level. The top level is the only usable level. The second level is blurred. The one stored in the dds file is even more blurred than the auto-generated ones. You could try to setup the MipMapLODBias paramater to "-1" but it's unlikely going to work.
In your screen shot, it looks like the HUD is also blurred. So, it's either a driver failure or a global configuration issue. I don't know and I have done everything I can.
Nothing to worry about further. Again, I can simply change the setting to Performance and hardly lose any FPS. I also have a setting in between those two called Balanced, which also appears to fix the issue. Haven't checked FPS, but would assume there would be minimal difference with the Performance setting.

At any rate, it is something I can fix on my end with the setting. Thank you for taking a good look at it, and for your continued hard work on this much-appreciated project.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #523
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Also, for some reason, Orbitersound seem to be unable to find the "sound" directory. Hence no mp3 & no ATC sounds.

But I'm not sure it's related to the client itself, it could be a problem with Orbiter_ng.exe
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #524
Columbia42
Orbinaut

Just a few thoughts on the blurriness issue; for me all textures and HUD are blurry when I have ENBseries activated and graphics set to performance. Deactivating ENBseries helps with the blurriness of textures and fixes the blurriness of the HUD. Setting graphics to quality gets rid of blurriness even with ENBseries activated. The only thing the remains blurry for me are the runways.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

As for the animated water, I'm not sure I really see the usefullness of such a feature. I mean, how much time do you spend just staring at, say, a floating capsule? I think volumetric oceans (implemented in conjunction with orulex) would be far more useful and easy to implement. Another problem with animated water is if there are these "surface cloud layers" rotating around the planet (I think that's what this would turn out as) then what about on land? These same water textures would show up everywhere. As I see it the only way to keep this from happening is to eliminate the movement and then what's the point of the feature in the first place? Don't get me wrong, multiple cloud layers would be great but I don't really think animated water is a very practical use of this feature.
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #525
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 Also, for some reason, Orbitersound seem to be unable to find the "sound" directory. Hence no mp3 & no ATC sounds.

But I'm not sure it's related to the client itself, it could be a problem with Orbiter_ng.exe
DanSteph might know more about what's going on with the Orbiter Sound and the Orbiter_ng.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia42 View Post
 Just a few thoughts on the blurriness issue; for me all textures and HUD are blurry when I have ENBseries activated and graphics set to performance. Deactivating ENBseries helps with the blurriness of textures and fixes the blurriness of the HUD. Setting graphics to quality gets rid of blurriness even with ENBseries activated. The only thing the remains blurry for me are the runways.
The runway blurriness near the camera can removed by setting the MagFilter to POINT. But it will effect in every other mesh in the same way.

Code:
sampler Tex0S = sampler_state       // Primary Mesh texture sampler
{
    Texture = <gTex0>;
    MinFilter = ANISOTROPIC;
    MagFilter = POINT;
    MipFilter = LINEAR;
    MaxAnisotropy = 4;
    MipMapLODBias = 0;
    AddressU = WRAP;
    AddressV = WRAP;
};
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient