Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #196
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropsofjupiter34 View Post
 BrianJ,

On the Strongback (LC-39A) vessel, is it possible for the two rainbirds on the north side of the pad to activate at T-10 seconds alongside the other rainbirds, or are they just there for cosmetic reasons?
Hi, no, I don't think I gave the end ones any particle streams.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #197
dropsofjupiter34
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 Hi, no, I don't think I gave the end ones any particle streams.
I understand that, but my question was if you could add those streams in the next update.
dropsofjupiter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #198
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Patch with new LC39-A Strongback module, extra water deluge.
Unzip into Orbiter folder as usual.
lc39a_rainbird_patch_181206.zip
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #199
Donamy
Beta Tester

deleted.

Last edited by Donamy; 12-13-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #200
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Thanks Don, got em :-)
Thanked by:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #201
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Obviously, I should have made rather more than 20 payload attachment points ;-)
spaceflightnow.com Starlink
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #202
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Elon Musk says the total Starlink mass is about 16,800 kg with an ASDS landing. Seems a little high? Having a hard time bringing the first stage back to OCISLY with that mass constraint.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #203
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 Elon Musk says the total Starlink mass is about 16,800 kg with an ASDS landing. Seems a little high? Having a hard time bringing the first stage back to OCISLY with that mass constraint.
16800 seems about right to me (60 x 272 + adaptor). Like you, my 1st stage lands well short of OCISLY (at the reported position). Inclination must be about 56deg right? We'll see what happens later, I guess :-)
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #204
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 16800 seems about right to me (60 x 272 + adaptor). Like you, my 1st stage lands well short of OCISLY (at the reported position). Inclination must be about 56deg right? We'll see what happens later, I guess :-)
53.00 from what I read.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #205
BrianJ
Addon Developer

It makes more sense now I see they are using a two-burn strategy for the 2nd stage.
I've just been having fun with a few Orbiter experiments.

Assuming a 165km x 440km, 54.8deg.inc. target orbit at SECO1, with a payload of 16620kg (60 sats @ 227kg + 50kg krypton fuel each):

If you use the reported position of OCISLY of N32.8158, W76.3825, you need to restrict the 1st stage fuel reserve to ~17000kg, and set 1st stage ApA. to ~130km. Unfortunately, my add-on's 1st stage landing algorithm can't handle the shallow angle and high velocity reentry! Hopefully SpaceX will do better. 2nd stage has ~190m/s dV remaining for orbit circularization at 440km and plane change (not enough to get to 53deg.inc. though).

If you use the add-on estimate for ASDS position, fuel reserve and 1st stage ApA., then stage recovery works much better, but you only get ~120m/s dV remaining at SECO1.

Must find some time to make more payload attach points ;-)

Cheers,
Brian
Old 06-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #206
fatcat
Orbinaut

Hi Brian,

Hope you are keeping well.
Where do I get the new textures for the LZ in the image that pappy posted in this thread back in Oct 2018. I think I have all your latest SpaceX downloads. If I do a PADVIS 1, I just have the standard textures, no LZ1.

Cheers,
Tony

UPDATE: Found them in the Falcon Heavy download. Thanks

Last edited by fatcat; 06-07-2019 at 03:03 PM.
fatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #207
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
 Hi Brian,

Hope you are keeping well.
Where do I get the new textures for the LZ in the image that pappy posted in this thread back in Oct 2018. I think I have all your latest SpaceX downloads. If I do a PADVIS 1, I just have the standard textures, no LZ1.

Cheers,
Tony

UPDATE: Found them in the Falcon Heavy download. Thanks
All good here, mate, hope all's well with you. Should be the same LZ pad texture and Earth/Surf/ tiles in both the latest Falcon9 v.181007 and FH v.190407. PADVIS 1 makes the pad invisible (but still available as target for flyback). Anyhow, so long as you got it working... :-)
Cheers,
Brian
Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #208
dropsofjupiter34
Orbinaut

BrianJ, thanks once again for creating this F9 addon. I'm really enjoying it a lot.

Side note: on one scenario I made, I was able to land the first stage at LZ-1 and deliver 3.8 tons to GTO; in another scenario, I landed the first stage at the original drone ship location for STP-2 (40 km from LC-39A before it was moved 1,235 km downrange) while sending 4.3 tons to GTO.

Last edited by dropsofjupiter34; 06-22-2019 at 11:16 PM.
dropsofjupiter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 AM   #209
erv
Orbinaut

Hi BrianJ,

First of all, huge thanks for your great SpaceX addons - have been enjoying them for quite a few years!

Now for one observation I recently made. I was fooling around by placing the Crew Dragon in orbit so that it ends up a few km from ISS (with docking about half an orbit later). While tuning the parameters for the time chosen by me I decided to do some additional fooling and displaced the ASDS some 100 or 200km sideways from the ground track of the launch. The booster nicely made it there but landed some 500m or so off the ship. It could be seen that during the landing burn it actively tried to steer itself there but the initial offset was way too big. For eve more fooling, I ordered it to land at Orbiter's default Habana (it was about the same distance as ASDS for my mission - I was llaunching southeast for the chosen date/time - just the direction "slightly" off ). And it again was the same - booster successfully got there but landed a bit off trying to fix that during landing burn.
Now I know this is NOT how it is supposed to be done but thought you may want to know. My uneducated guess is that it might be related to how the initial trajectory is calculated so that it aims a bit off and corrects during landing burn, but some variable might get a bit too excited if it is so much off track.
erv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #210
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Hi erv,
glad you're enjoying my attempts to simulate the SpaceX launchers :-)
Both the reentry-burn and landing-burn algorithms are not robust and can't cope well with anything beyond their rather slim envelopes. The landing-burn algorithm in particular is fairly nuts (all done with vectors). Someone should do it properly! I just wanted to see if I could make it work at all. Well, I'm still having fun tinkering with it and hope to improve it.
Sometimes you can get a better booster landing if you change the "Core Stage ApA at MECO" value, or add/remove reserve fuel.
Anyway, have fun!
Cheers,
Brian

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments