Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #7171
4throck
Enthusiast !

Coming along slowly!
Constellation now has spotlights to land on the polar regions.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #7172
1987VCRProductions
Orbinaut

I put Ulysses into polar orbit around the Sun and got a nice portrait looking down at the 4 inner planets. I ended up approaching Jupiter from its south pole and it sent me going over the Sun's north pole first and then looping around to the solar south pole, I believe that the real Ulysses actually did the opposite if I'm not mistaken.
1987VCRProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #7173
Wolf
Donator

The beauty of the new shadow effects with D3D9. The Canadarm RMS casts its shadow on Columbia payload bay as the Orbiter overflies the Indian Ocean during STS-3

Click image for larger version

Name:	0545.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	15897
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #7174
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 The beauty of the new shadow effects with D3D9. The Canadarm RMS casts its shadow on Columbia payload bay as the Orbiter overflies the Indian Ocean during STS-3

Attachment 15897

Sadly the radiators seem to show the reflection map with the closed payload pay doors.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #7175
Donamy
Beta Tester

Yes. Too bad reflections can't act like shadows, and not go through the mesh.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #7176
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Sadly the radiators seem to show the reflection map with the closed payload pay doors.
This is due to how the D3D9Client handles environmental reflections. All reflective surfaces share one environment camera per vessel that generates the actual reflections. And it is completely static. Currently the environmental camera for SSU is set up in the center of the payload bay so that is what will be reflected in the reflective surfaces of the orbiter.

This should really change to a system where each reflection map generates its own camera. I don't think a reasonable number (8?) would hurt the frame rates that bad, even on maximum settings.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #7177
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 This should really change to a system where each reflection map generates its own camera. I don't think a reasonable number (8?) would hurt the frame rates that bad, even on maximum settings.

It would be enough if the reflection map just represents the current state of the mesh = gets recomputed. But I would guess it takes a moment to calculate.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #7178
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 It would be enough if the reflection map just represents the current state of the mesh = gets recomputed. But I would guess it takes a moment to calculate.
The reflections should get updated every 2nd - 6th frame depending on settings. In the Wolf's screen shot it's likely the payload that is being reflected. And the reflection camera is likely in the front of the payload. To work better, the camera should be attached to payload-bay doors. One on both sides and they should move along the doors themselves. Improper camera location can cause all sort of anomalies.

What DaveS said could help to reduce the problem. But the main issues is that how to attach the cameras into the right locations. (i.e. how to communicate all the information to the client). I am working on some optimizations to the shadows and after that I'll look into the reflection issues.

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-06-2018 at 06:58 PM.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #7179
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 To work better, the camera should be attached to payload-bay doors.

Suggestion:
On the Debug Controls, the user selects a mesh group and attaches a custom reflection camera to it.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots