Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
AA737PILOT
Orbinaut
Default Glideslope MFD

I have loaded the new Glideslope MFD into Orbiter 2016 and selected it in the modules list but it is not a selectable mfd when in a scenario. Any ideas?
AA737PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA737PILOT View Post
 I have loaded the new Glideslope MFD into Orbiter 2016 and selected it in the modules list but it is not a selectable mfd when in a scenario. Any ideas?
Check the orbiter.log for module loading error codes.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
AA737PILOT
Orbinaut

here is my orbiter log for the MFD's not loaded. I am lost other than trying to lo============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\BurnTimeMFD.dll (code 126)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]
================================================== =============
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\Glideslope.dll (code 126)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]ad a clean copy of orbiter. any ideas?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 here is my orbiter log for the MFD's not loaded. I am lost other than trying to lo============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\BurnTimeMFD.dll (code 126)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]
================================================== =============
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\Glideslope.dll (code 126)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]ad a clean copy of orbiter. any ideas?
Sounds like you are missing the necessary middle-ware called ModuleMessagingExt, or its mandatory prerequisite VS2015 redist.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
AA737PILOT
Orbinaut

That did it! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 That did it! Thanks a lot!
You're welcome.
You were not the first with this problem, though. Unfortunately, it seems like many of the MFDs using this middle-ware don't document the need for its separate installation prominent enough.
Thanked by:
Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
ADSWNJ
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 You're welcome.
You were not the first with this problem, though. Unfortunately, it seems like many of the MFDs using this middle-ware don't document the need for its separate installation prominent enough.
A simple fix would be to update the OrbitHangar phrase "Compatible SDKs:" to read "Mandatory Pre-Requisites:", so it's much more prominent in the boilerplate rather than in the text. But yeah - I can also annotate the description to be more clear on this dependency!
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 A simple fix would be to update the OrbitHangar phrase "Compatible SDKs:" to read "Mandatory Pre-Requisites:", so it's much more prominent in the boilerplate rather than in the text. But yeah - I can also annotate the description to be more clear on this dependency!
Changing the phrase would make it confusing for those using other SDKs that are not so strictly linked.

E.g. using OrbiterSound SDK doesn't make an addon crash if the proper middle-ware is not present. Instead it uses late-binding techniques together with static linking of the thin forwarder-lib to decouple the addon from the middle-ware. If the later is not present, some features don't work, but the addon is still usable. IMHO this is a much better approach for middle-ware concepts, especially if the distribution isn't easily done "atomic" due to versioning problems ("Don't distribute the middle-ware with your addon, because that way the user has to get it from the original author and thus benefits from fixes/patches/extensions.").

Instead of changing the phrase I'd suggest to add a new field with the text you proposed.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help