Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #91
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 Great news, Fred! I cannot wait to update the entire FOI fleet of launchers with the new MSG2015!

I would suggest to try the implementation of an usable "spin" command?
Back to the Eridanus development, I was unable to implement this command in the autopilot in an useful way, so I resigned myself to let the stack "upside down" during all the way to the orbit, while the Shuttle at a certain point turns "head up".
Agree with you and already implemented :

you can choose with a (working) Spin command to rotate your craft (for example for yoyos) and in particular for the purpose you mentioned I put a new command called Inverse(). Once called it simply flip the mode from 1 to -1 or vice versa!

for testing the vinka's space shuttle i'm using this simple guidance file:
Code:
-10=orbit(180,180,40,-1,74)
-6=engine(0,100,6)
136=jettison()
145=inverse()
first call: setup of orbit parameters --> perigee and apogee at 180km, target inclination set to 40 so launch northbound, upside down and 74 is the gravity turn initial angle, I will give more details in the following days about this.

at 136 secs SRBs are jettisoned and 10 secs later the shuttle starts to turn from upside down to straight up orientation!
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #92
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Hey Fred18,did you ever figure out the problem with the timing with the smoke,and effects for the FOI launch pads using multistage2015 yet?
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #93
fred18
Addon Developer

Not yet. Actually it should not be related to MS2015, there is no reason why it should be. The idea is that once this is finished I will check that to understand what was missing.

Anyway today I had a lot of time for developing and most of the topics are closed:

Fairing: a call in guidance file which will specify not only time but also altitude at which jettison fairing - EASY -CLOSED
Azimuth Calculation and inclination targeting: already implemented, trying to solve the glitch for orbit with inclination close to launch latitude but not exactly equal to launch latitude - HARD to solve the glitch even if it happens only in rarely -CLOSED
Optimization of gravity turn - Already implemented but needs to be revised and optimized for generalization purpose - MEDIUM - -CLOSED

Live Payloads - Code ready to be inserted in MS2015 - EASY
Rotated Payloads - I think I will make an animation here, but still have to think about this - MEDIUM
HUD information - Want to add some other information like predicted cutoff time during launch and payload name and information - EASY -CLOSED
Attitude control at time acceleration - Needs to be optimized to work smoothly also at low fps and/or high time acceleration - MEDIUM -CLOSED

I would add also Vent and Mach effects easy to implement (instead of using fake boosters as point.

I'm trying to keep my word of next week release
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #94
Donamy
Beta Tester

Any way to have VC view ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #95
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Any way to have VC view ?
It's not a problem, but I have to say that I don't quite understand this point

What would be the virtual cockpit of a rocket with a satellite into its fairing for example?

Could please just let me understand what do you mean a bit more so I can work on the topic?
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #96
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post

What would be the virtual cockpit of a rocket with a satellite into its fairing for example?

Could please just let me understand what do you mean a bit more so I can work on the topic?
Keep the thing simple.

A virtual cockpit on MSG2015 is pointless for unmanned; can make sense for manned spacecrafts but isn't the priority in my view.

Last edited by K_Jameson; 09-11-2015 at 06:14 PM.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #97
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:

For manned mission of course.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #98
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Hey Don do you mean like a mission control view?
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #99
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 Keep the thing simple.

A virtual cockpit on MSG2015 is pointless for unmanned
Could it be used for a rocket cam view?
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #100
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
If it's a manned mission you are probably launching a UMMU compatible vessel.
If Multistage can now launch active vessels, loaded at scenario load, it's only a mater of selecting the vessel during launch and letting Multistage take you into orbit.
If not, you can simply set it all up using Velcro.

From a purely unmanned / rocket point of view, I see the point of having a VC / telemetry panel.
Here's one for a Titan II:

But how to interact with it? how to set it up?

For now, I'd rather have that as on-screen text that changes to the appropriate colors.
Interaction could be a simple keyboard presses, as we already do (j for jettison).
Status and events can be taken from the guidance and setup files themselves.

Last edited by 4throck; 09-11-2015 at 07:07 PM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #101
Interceptor
Orbinaut

How about a mission control view for unmanned,and a astronauts's view looking forward for manned?

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Fred are you planning
to do failure simulation with ms2015 too?

Last edited by Interceptor; 09-11-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #102
4throck
Enthusiast !

I think I understand what you suggest and some eye candy would be great.
It's not hard to get a free mission control mesh and display it:
http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/jscmiscon1-room

I don't see it as very useful (I'd prefer failures and status panel), but Spacecraft3 allows for it (mesh name, groups for MFDs and HUD).
So why not add the same syntax here ?

From Spaceraft.dll manual:

[VC]
This is for virtual cockpit mode
MESHNAME="atlantis": specify the mesh of the cockpit, if the cockpit mesh is inside the
vessel mesh, just put the same name as the one you have specified in the [config] section
MFD_LEFT=125 : mesh group where Orbiter standard left MFD will be drawn. See Orbiter
SDK documentation for restriction on this mesh group (must be a rectangle)
MFD_RIGHT=126 mesh group where Orbiter standard right MFD will be drawn.
HUD=127 : mesh group where Orbiter HUD will be displayed
HUD_SIZE=0.252 : screen size (in meter) for HUD display. See Orbiter SDK for details.
HUD_CENTER=(-0.5479,2.325,15.777) : coordinates of HUD center on the mesh. See
Orbiter SDK for details.

Last edited by 4throck; 09-11-2015 at 09:31 PM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #103
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 How about a mission control view
Already done by FOI with Gaia station ; I don't recall if the mission control view was inserted in the final addon (the only module released) or not...
Only eye-candy anyway.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #104
fred18
Addon Developer

Good morning gents,

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll try to summarize my idea on this topic and on the rest:

1) as 4throck said, MS2015 will support "live" payloads, which means that for a manned mission you will be able to jump in the vehicle and enjoy the view from the cockpit

2) regarding the MCC mesh I'm a bit reluctant to add it, because it will mean to take it around along with the rocket and even though the one used with the Gaia station was amazing, there could be a lot of issues with graphic clients etc that coud lead to a mess. Since live payloads will be supported a special payload with the mesh of the MCC visibile only in VC view could be created and added by the users that will want it
3) relevant to the control panel i was thinking of creating a dedicated MFD for MS2015, but i never did MFDs, so I will have to learn how to do it, leaving this. The other option is to make a dialog window which rensemble a MCC, which is an option that I quite like, but I don't know if it will be used since it will take out a big portion of screen.
4) my idea is to implement failures (only post launch, no countdown holdings). Could be explosion for first stage and engine stop/reduction for higher stages. Don't know if I can make it for the first release, but I think yes
5) also LES shall be supported, so I will probably add a section in the ini file that will create LES, which will be possible to jettison manually with F key as fairing and via guidance with an appropriate les() command.
6) another point that would be cool to explore are the launchpads. But I still haven't figured out how would be an efficient and useful way to do it, so this will probably wait for the next release.

So that's it! Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers!
Fred
Thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #105
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Good morning gents,

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll try to summarize my idea on this topic and on the rest:

1) as 4throck said, MS2015 will support "live" payloads, which means that for a manned mission you will be able to jump in the vehicle and enjoy the view from the cockpit

2) regarding the MCC mesh I'm a bit reluctant to add it, because it will mean to take it around along with the rocket and even though the one used with the Gaia station was amazing, there could be a lot of issues with graphic clients etc that coud lead to a mess. Since live payloads will be supported a special payload with the mesh of the MCC visibile only in VC view could be created and added by the users that will want it
3) relevant to the control panel i was thinking of creating a dedicated MFD for MS2015, but i never did MFDs, so I will have to learn how to do it, leaving this. The other option is to make a dialog window which rensemble a MCC, which is an option that I quite like, but I don't know if it will be used since it will take out a big portion of screen.
4) my idea is to implement failures (only post launch, no countdown holdings). Could be explosion for first stage and engine stop/reduction for higher stages. Don't know if I can make it for the first release, but I think yes
5) also LES shall be supported, so I will probably add a section in the ini file that will create LES, which will be possible to jettison manually with F key as fairing and via guidance with an appropriate les() command.
6) another point that would be cool to explore are the launchpads. But I still haven't figured out how would be an efficient and useful way to do it, so this will probably wait for the next release.

So that's it! Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers!
Fred
I liked the countdown hold in Jarvis 3.dll,but it's your addon,since you are thinking of making an mfd,how about a readout,or hud similar to the kulch energy project it shows fuel being used and has text with lights showing booster separation,and stage seperation,and Payload status,I haven't used it in a while,but check it out if you can Fred it might be a good reference for something similar.PS.could you add the countdown,and velocity pop windows to ms2015 like with your Jarvis3.dll addon please.Thanks

Last edited by Interceptor; 09-12-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development