Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old
Orbinaut
Default N1-L3 Soviet Lunar Program Development
by Columbia42 07-07-2011, 04:34 PM

I am currently (and have been since July 2010) working on an addon of the N1-L3 Soviet manned lunar landing program.

Some background info:
This program was originally initiated in the early 60s by Sergei Korolev as a counterpart to NASA's Apollo program. One among several other manned lunar plans competing for limited funding, Korolev's N1-L3 faced obstacles at every turn. In its final rendition N1-L3 was only a fraction of Chief Designer Korolevís original dreams of exploring the Moon. Korolev died before any flight testing could be done of the N1-L3 spacecraft and rockets and his successor, Vassily Mishin was left to carry on the program. Four flight tests of the N1 rocket were launched from 1969 to 1972. All of them failed due to inadequate ground testing of the first stage of the rocket, a result of the programís lack of funding. Two unmanned, Earth-orbit test flights of the LK lander were flown and both were extremely successful. One unmanned flight of the L1S lunar orbiter (a hybrid vehicle combining elements of both the L1 circumlunar spacecraft and the LOK orbiter) was also very successful. After the failures of the N1 rockets Vassily Mishin was fired and replaced with Valentin Glushko, one of Korolevís rivals who was working on his own lunar mission plans. Eager to pursue his own plans, Glushko suspended the N1-L3 program in 1974 and cancelled it officially in 1976. All of the hardware including operational spacecraft and rockets was scrapped so that there would be no evidence that the Soviet Union ever had a manned lunar program.

Although far from completion my addon intends to simulate the N1-L3 mission profile as accurately as possible. Almost all of the models are by Jean-Marie Le Cosperec (http://celestiasws.free.fr/) from his Celestia addon of N1-L3. I will post some screenshots later.
Views 51477 Comments 129
Total Comments 129

Comments

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
boby_nadeau
Orbinaut

Thus, there will be a 3d panel (according to the screenshot by Jean-Marie Le Cosperec ...) ? I sugest you (if possible) to make "random accidents", like pad explosion, engine fire...

I'm very exited about your addon .. ! Good luck !
boby_nadeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Columbia42
Orbinaut

Here are some screenshots:

Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
diogom
Survivor of 21/10/2011

Man, this looks awesome! Can't wait to fly it.
diogom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
ky
Director of Manned Spaceflight

Wow that is awesome.Is there a projected release date?
ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
C3PO
Donator

Tuesday
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Wow, Nice job!

^ re: random accidents. I think it would be refreshing just to launch the beast. The N-1s record is 0 for 4.
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Sunhillow
Donator

Very beautiful, Columbia!

btw, over at nasaspaceflight forum there has recently (until beginning of may) been a discussion about the N1 with valuable information, photos and renders.
Sunhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
IronRain

Nice project. Will definitely follow it close
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Eli13
Fish Dreamer

Seconded. Keep up the great work!
Eli13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Columbia42
Orbinaut

Thanks for the support everyone! I've actually encountered a rather unusual problem that I could use some help with. All of the models were originally in 3ds format so I used the 3ds2msh converter to convert them. One model, however, (the LK lander) is too large for the converter to handle, meaning I had to import it to AC3D and export it as a msh file. This, unfortunately, does not preserve the textures. I would texture it myself except that the model is so hires that with my computer specs I can't really work with it in any of my 3D editing programs. If someone with a better computer (my specs are Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 5570, 2GB RAM) would like to help I would greatly appreciate it. Looking at photos of the LK it seems that only small adjustments would be needed such as a shiny gold and silver exterior and some tan, Vostok-cabin-like stuff for the interior. Editing the materials should do the trick but I also have plenty of textures to use if need be.

Here is the LK msh file if anyone's interested: LK1.zip
Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

RE failures
Failures are good, but not ones before youve launched, you should only program in-flight failures, the ones that we actually have to handle as the pilot (?)
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
4throck
Enthusiast !

Looks very good!

A VC for the LOK is doable... I have a "spare" Soyuz 7K VC that perhaps can be modified to show a LOK panel...
Also, perhaps some of the configs from the 7K addon (things like RCS) can be useful here!
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Columbia42
Orbinaut

That would be great! Thanks 4throck! There are plenty of photos of the LOK interior and it looks pretty similar to the Soyuz except with only two seats and a different placement of windows.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
4throck
Enthusiast !

But isn't the interior already part of the meshes?

Like this:

and

From the image gallery I can't see if the LOK orbital module has interior. In this case it is important, because there was an observation cupula used for docking. I don't know how this would work (was the LOK manouvered from the orbital module ?).

How are you setting this up in Orbiter ? Custom .dll ?
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development