Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #46
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 {image}

Compare with this proposed Atlas V evolution plan:

{image}

It seems that the only difference is that the core stage has been widened to be the same width as the 5-meter fairing.
...and of course with a new methane powered 1st stage engine from Blue Origin.
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #47
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Penguin SST View Post
 ...and of course with a new methane powered 1st stage engine from Blue Origin.
Good to see that the Aerojet solids are still a part of the program.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #48
orbitingpluto
Orbiteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 This is what I meant talking about "the most successful aircraft in modern history"

Urwumpe proposed naming the rocket after the the Thunderbolt II, incrementing the number after the name one higher(Thunderbolt III), and I assumed your doing something similar, but forgot about the Phantom I. My fault there, seeing what happens after assuming things.
orbitingpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 AM   #49
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I remember a post by Hyperion5 on the NASASpaceflight forum which was about naming a methane/LOX-based rocket "Neptune" (not to be confused with the fictional Italian rocket add-on)
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:37 AM   #50
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Since it looks like a fatter Atlas V at first glance, I propose the name "Fatlas".

Any questions? No? Good.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #51
statickid
CatDog from Deimos

FatlasOne
statickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #52
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 Since it looks like a fatter Atlas V at first glance, I propose the name "Fatlas".

Any questions? No? Good.
Since it's an Atlas V derivative, I propose Atlas VI.

No need to be fancy. Just call it what it is.
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #53
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post

Any questions? No? Good.
You can't say fat, that's not PC. So after the committee on hygienic language is done with your proposal, its:

ObeseLassOne.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #54
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

With SRBs on it should it be MorbidlyObeseLass?

Seriously though, those guys actually get paid to come up with names like that? There's tons of mythological and classic Greek/Roman names. This was the best 3 they could come up with?

All the more names available when you get into Native American (I include all the Americas in that category), Far Eastern, SE Asia, etc...

Windigo! Hey how about that? Windigo.

If they don't use it Phantom Mfg is claiming it.

Last edited by PhantomCruiser; 03-26-2015 at 10:14 AM.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #55
RGClark
Mathematician

Quote:
 {image}
It seems that the only difference is that the stages (except for the Centaur in the NGLS-M) have been widened to be the same width as the 5-meter fairing.

Thanks for that. Looks like it would use two RD-180 engines on the first stage. What would be the payload capability?

Bob Clark
RGClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #56
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGClark View Post
 Thanks for that. Looks like it would use two RD-180 engines on the first stage. What would be the payload capability?

Bob Clark
Actually, that image is only a "potential configuration" (what it might likely look like), and as the article and Galactic Penguin SST said earlier, it's going to use methane or LNG engines instead of kerosene.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

So, kerosene is becoming an obsolete fuel?
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #58
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Kerosene and liquid hydrogen were good for optimizing performance (kerosene provided high thrust and high density for the initial launch, while liquid hydrogen had the higher specific impulse for upper stages in vacuum), but using a common propellant in all stages is more economical. Methane is a fuel that is in-between kerosene and liquid hydrogen in terms of specific impulse, density, and cryogenicity (because liquid hydrogen is hard to handle).

Quote:
Musk says that overhead starts with how the launch vehicle is designed. The workhorse Atlas V, for example, used for everything from planetary probes to spy satellites, employs up to three kinds of rockets, each tailored to a specific phase of flight. The Russian-built RD-180 first- stage engines burn a highly refined form of kerosene called RP1. Optional solid-fuel strap-on boosters can provide additional thrust at liftoff, and a liquid hydrogen upper stage takes over in the final phase of flight. Using three kinds of rockets in the same vehicle may optimize its performance, but at a price: “To a first-order approximation, you’ve just tripled your factory costs and all your operational costs,” says Musk.

Instead, from the very beginning, SpaceX designed its Falcon rockets with commonality in mind. Both of Falcon 9’s stages are powered by RP1 and liquid oxygen, so only one type of engine is required. Both are the same diameter and are constructed from the same aluminum-lithium alloy, reducing the amount of tooling and the number of processes and resulting in what Musk calls “huge cost savings.”
(This is why, when I make my fictional M-III rocket, it will be all-methane. The M-III will have a wider core stage, like the NGLS, which allows it to have even wider fairings)

edit: although, the liquid hydrogen Centaur stage is still there in that "potential configurations" image.

Last edited by Pipcard; 03-26-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #59
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
 (This is why, when I make my fictional M-III rocket, it will be all-methane. The M-III will have a wider core stage, like the NGLS, which allows it to have even wider fairings)
In fact, long time ago I worked on some all-metholox concepts for an hypotetical and never realized new generation FOI launcher, a replacement for the Jarvis family. It is an excellent compromise. Anyway, some FOI spacecraft as Antares Long Range and the Arcturus lander (currently on hold) are methane-fueled.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #60
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGClark View Post

Bob Clark
Nope, ULA's trying to get away from using Soviet RUSSIAN engines. If Blue Origin can make the BE-4 work as advertised...

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News