Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Tim13
Orbinaut
Default RInc correction during ascent.

Two questions:

--Is it possible to use the RCS in translation mode during the ascent to fine tune the RInc when launching to the ISS? I've been able to get the RInc down to about 0.29 degrees by adjusting the launch inclination in the mission file, but suspect in real ops, someone at MCC would have been fired for that large of a RInc...LOL.

--If it is possible to translate during ascent to fine tune the RInc, what is the proper way to do it, without upsetting the autopilot? How should the DAP(I'm assuming DAP manipulation would be required...) be configured? Would the RCS yaw have to be switched from "auto" to 'css?"

Thanks,

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
 Two questions:

--Is it possible to use the RCS in translation mode during the ascent to fine tune the RInc when launching to the ISS? I've been able to get the RInc down to about 0.29 degrees by adjusting the launch inclination in the mission file, but suspect in real ops, someone at MCC would have been fired for that large of a RInc...LOL.

--If it is possible to translate during ascent to fine tune the RInc, what is the proper way to do it, without upsetting the autopilot? How should the DAP(I'm assuming DAP manipulation would be required...) be configured? Would the RCS yaw have to be switched from "auto" to 'css?"

Thanks,

Tim
The RInc shown in the AlignPlane MFD results from differences in the inclination of the orbital planes and in the difference in the LAN of the orbital planes.

Currently, SSU only targets a specific orbital inclination and doesn't bother with the LAN value. I'd like to work this, but getting SSU to a state where a version can be released for Orbiter 2016 to has priority.

Anyway, to get a small error you have 2 options:
1) launch at the "in-plane time", and let it do the ascent in AUTO;
2) launch when it suits you, and go CSS (you have to control all 3 axis... that's the way it is in ascent) when you get into the second-stage and point it in the direction you want.

You can also null the error as you approach the ISS.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Tim13
Orbinaut

I don't want to do a full manual launch, so option two is out for me.

For option one then, launching at "in plane time" means when the ISS passes directly over the launch site? Any deviation east or west during the ISS pass over the launch site, will result in a RInc error, with the error being greater the farther east or west the pass is?

Tim
Old 05-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
GLS
Addon Developer

As it takes 8 minutes for the vehicle to reach orbit, launching when the ISS plane is a bit east of the pad is advisable.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Tim13
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 As it takes 8 minutes for the vehicle to reach orbit, launching when the ISS plane is a bit east of the pad is advisable.
I never thought of that. That makes sense. Thanks for pointing out what should have been very obvious to me!

Tim

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra