Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 *shrugs*

Not every developer believes in a 'now click the switch flashing in red' type of approach. What do you really learn by that anyway?

I'm quite certain that if you understand what the NASA checklist is supposed to achieve, you can fly SSU. If you like realistic, you need to read up a lot on how things work - they didn't do a few hours crash courses and then put people into the Shuttle cockpit after all.
Well, since some switches are not clickable in SSU I don't understand how the checklist from NASA will be in sync with SSU, if the switch doesn't work do I just skip that part of the checklist?
ItaLiaNKiinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItaLiaNKiinG View Post
 Well, since some switches are not clickable in SSU I don't understand how the checklist from NASA will be in sync with SSU, if the switch doesn't work do I just skip that part of the checklist?
Yep. I promise you: it won't explode.
We have tons of stuff missing, but I think what we have is +/- accurate, so following a checklist should work.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Yep. I promise you: it won't explode.
We have tons of stuff missing, but I think what we have is +/- accurate, so following a checklist should work.
Have others followed the same checklist with success?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Have others followed the same checklist with success?
I think so... that's the idea behind SSU.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Alright, it it's hard to find certain panels going off the letters and numbers, did you not make some panels with identification codes on them?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Alright, it it's hard to find certain panels going off the letters and numbers, did you not make some panels with identification codes on them?
I think most, if not all, panels in the real shuttle had an visible ID, but in SSU some IDs are not visible for whatever reason. Anyway, in the SSU manual there is a diagram with the panel ID system, so you know where is what panel.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 I think most, if not all, panels in the real shuttle had an visible ID, but in SSU some IDs are not visible for whatever reason. Anyway, in the SSU manual there is a diagram with the panel ID system, so you know where is what panel.
Alright thanks, problem resolved
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #23
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.

Just a question regarding SSU: I never tried it but it seems to be really complicated. Is it possible to f*ck things up so badly that the whole machine gets unflyable?
Like: "Whoops, wrong button."
*Baydoor opens and closes repeatedly, Orbiter starts to spin, cabin decompresses*
Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #24
zerofay32
Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koloss View Post
 Just a question regarding SSU: I never tried it but it seems to be really complicated. Is it possible to f*ck things up so badly that the whole machine gets unflyable?
Like: "Whoops, wrong button."
*Baydoor opens and closes repeatedly, Orbiter starts to spin, cabin decompresses*

SSU is not quite at that point of development. But you can get into an unusable state if you improvise too much. My advise is to take time to learn what is working in SSU and what isn't. Then, take some time reading about the working systems in the SCOM. Sit the the cockpit and practice locating specific panels, once you become familiar with the coding system you will have no problem finding switch locations.

Something to remember is that SSU is being developed with the philosophy and getting the most important systems simulated first (and most likely just a crude facsimile of the systems at first). Everything that is currently working isn't quite complete yet but are something to get going with.

If you spend any time reading the Dev threads you will see that some of the biggest hurdles are the most fundamental (you can't have system C without system B and A and you can't have A without system G, but system G needs system B, but there isn't enough documentation for B. And also you need system D but there are limitations with Orbiter itself.... and so on).

What is amazing is that it is now to a point of development that a "full" mission can be flown. SSU has come a long way from 'Space Shuttle Deluxe' even if it has take a few years
zerofay32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
Gingin
Orbinaut

I confirm, full mission is flyable following official check list (we just have to omit the switches that are not working, and it's a good way to know how the real shuttle works), and a bit of patience, and motivation to read about official stuff.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=38308

Even if some switches are missing, some very important systems are modelized, and more important, main OPS GNC ( ascent orbit entry) are very well tuned.
So you can really rely on official documentation, especially for normal operations, Ascent, Orbit adjustement, Rendez vous, Entry , TAEM, Landing.

It's an add on that is time consuming. You have some background to acquire, but it's really rewarding.
Just the fact to achieve a circular orbit and use correctly the onboard computer procure an amazing feeling
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #26
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:

The NASA ascent checklist, do I start from the beginning? because I know that some of the switches do not function and I'm sure I'll have to skip over them
At worst, you just press each non-functioning button and make a *click* sound effect. As long as you stay on procedure, pretending to make the non-working buttons do stuff should at least inspire some kind of confidence in you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
 Sorry to say so, but FSX isn't really the epitome of realistic flight dynamics and I suspect you may have to invest in plenty of payware addons to make it so.
Yeah, I know people who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to get FSX up to any kind of real standard. It's a great simulator! It just misses the mark as the best. Honestly, if I had a rig worth its weight in gold, I'd be running Xplane. All that sweet adherence to shape, and forces simulation.

Quote:
It's in sync, you just can't click those buttons. Just pretend to click them, then go to the next part of the checklist. Eventually, you'll come to some buttons that function. You're still learning, and checking systems that the shuttle crew would have checked.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #27
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
All that sweet adherence to shape, and forces simulation.
I have an opinion about the accuracy of that as well (to my knowledge, X-plane never got an FAA certified simulation running anywhere, which is kind of the gold standard for accuracy) but that's leading too far off the thread - if you're interested in my take on blade element theory, feel free to bring up the question elsewhere.
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
Donamy
Beta Tester

I remember when I went for an inspection, on my van. I knew the horn wasn't working, so when the mechanic told me to sound the horn. I yelled. "BEEP!!!". He passed it.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #29
ItaLiaNKiinG
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 I remember when I went for an inspection, on my van. I knew the horn wasn't working, so when the mechanic told me to sound the horn. I yelled. "BEEP!!!". He passed it.
EPIC

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #30
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?
Nope, SSU is pretty much it.

Last edited by DaveS; 05-24-2017 at 10:45 PM.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra

Tags
space shuttle help, space shuttle ultra ssu, tutorial request