Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #76
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 I donít know about you guys but if I open 2 external MFDs my FPS dramatically drop (even below 10FPS) and Orbiter becomes unplayable. I cannot imagine what would happen when using ISS AtoZ in the scenario...
Are you still getting decent FPS with both screens opened in external MFD mode?
Oh, I don't have that issue at all. External MFDs aren't doing anything bad my framerate. I wonder if I am doing anything wrong in the code of the MFD to cause that. Do you get the same issue if you have one or more of the stock Orbiter MFDs open in the External MFD?
indy91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #77
Snax
Space Cowboy

I had the same issue with opening some ExtMFD killing my FPS, the more ExtMFD I open, the more FPS I loose.
Now for some magical reason it's over.
I onoy had it on my desktop, nothing on my laptop.

Had the same with ExtMFD and DX9 ExtMFD
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #78
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
 I had the same issue with opening some ExtMFD killing my FPS, the more ExtMFD I open, the more FPS I loose.
Now for some magical reason it's over.
I onoy had it on my desktop, nothing on my laptop.

Had the same with ExtMFD and DX9 ExtMFD
Hmm, weird. But I guess that means it is nothing specific about the FDO MFD!? Just the ExtMFD having some issues maybe. And if the plan from the SSU guys is to eventually set up a MCC vessel in Orbiter where you can do the mission planning then you can use the normal MFDs, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll definitely change the FDO MFD so that you aren't forced to use it from the Shuttle, but can access it anywhere.

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Yesterday evening I finished a STS-114 rendezvous with nonspherical gravity enabled. And it worked really well (minus the bugs in the MFD I fixed along the way)! As I said before the state vectors of the Shuttle and ISS should be pretty realistic in my starting scenario. In terms of plane change I had to do a 9 ft/s NPC burn and then later the NCC and TI burns both had about 1 ft/s out-of-plane components to null the remaining out-of-plane error. But that was it with any plane changes, the Shuttle nicely drifted into the orbital plane of the ISS due to the differential nodal regression. The lighting might have been off by 1-2 minutes, but I am not quite sure about that. I have to check when the sunset after TI really happened. It felt like the sun was setting and rising too late as compared to what the rendezvous checklist says. It might be some deficiency with dealing with the nonspherical gravity.

Onboard targeting worked good enough. The preliminary TI burn solution had a weird 8 ft/s DVY component, but that might be caused by the nonspherical gravity not taken into account for the trajectory propagation to the time of TI. The later solutions were close enough to my ground calculated one that I burned the onboard solution. The MCs were definitely larger than without nonspherical gravity, but still only 1-2 ft/s each. I tried the radar mode of the Ku Band antenna for the first time, it did a nice and successful search for the target and the R and Rdot display is definitely useful in the later part of the rendezvous.
Thanked by:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #79
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91 View Post
 Hmm, weird. But I guess that means it is nothing specific about the FDO MFD!? Just the ExtMFD having some issues maybe. And if the plan from the SSU guys is to eventually set up a MCC vessel in Orbiter where you can do the mission planning then you can use the normal MFDs, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll definitely change the FDO MFD so that you aren't forced to use it from the Shuttle, but can access it anywhere.

No that happens with any MFD; interesting to know that I am the only one suffering a huge FPS drop by doing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91 View Post
 Yesterday evening I finished a STS-114 rendezvous with nonspherical gravity enabled. And it worked really well (minus the bugs in the MFD I fixed along the way)! As I said before the state vectors of the Shuttle and ISS should be pretty realistic in my starting scenario. In terms of plane change I had to do a 9 ft/s NPC burn and then later the NCC and TI burns both had about 1 ft/s out-of-plane components to null the remaining out-of-plane error. But that was it with any plane changes, the Shuttle nicely drifted into the orbital plane of the ISS due to the differential nodal regression. The lighting might have been off by 1-2 minutes, but I am not quite sure about that. I have to check when the sunset after TI really happened. It felt like the sun was setting and rising too late as compared to what the rendezvous checklist says. It might be some deficiency with dealing with the nonspherical gravity.

Onboard targeting worked good enough. The preliminary TI burn solution had a weird 8 ft/s DVY component, but that might be caused by the nonspherical gravity not taken into account for the trajectory propagation to the time of TI. The later solutions were close enough to my ground calculated one that I burned the onboard solution. The MCs were definitely larger than without nonspherical gravity, but still only 1-2 ft/s each. I tried the radar mode of the Ku Band antenna for the first time, it did a nice and successful search for the target and the R and Rdot display is definitely useful in the later part of the rendezvous.

Great news
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #80
indy91
Addon Developer

Published another release: https://github.com/indy91/Shuttle-FD...ag/0.1.3-alpha

A bunch of bug fixes and you will now be able to use the MFD from anywhere and are not constraint to using it in the active vessel.

Also, here the Maneuver Constraints Tables from my STS-114 mission.

Before NC-1:

Before NC-2:

Before NPC:

Before NH:

Before NC-4:

Before TI:

A few notes on how I changed the table after each maneuver. First you need to delete the first burn in the table, because that was just executed and doesn't matter anymore. The new first maneuver in the table needs a fixed time input, at least as the threshold. So for NC-2 I took the TIG from the evaluation table and input it as a new T constraint. The NC-2 was a fixed, placeholder burn of 50 ft/s before NC-1, but after NC-1 it becomes the new phasing burn that corrects any errors. Ended up being exactly 50 ft/s anyway.

For the NPC maneuver I initially use a DT of 1 second after the previous burn, just to make it search for the common node (CN) with the target after NC-2. When NPC is the first maneuver in the table then a TIG input is needed, which was just a random time a few minutes after NC-2. The actual TIG will still happen at the common node due to the CN secondary constraint. Also, the "DR = -40" constraint needs to be removed from NC-4, because there is no phasing maneuver anymore to iterate on that.

For NH the TIG is the fixed number that has been used throughout the mission. I fixed that TIG very early on because it achieves the specific lighting I wanted. Oh and I checked the lighting in my STS-114 scenarios, it was exactly on time, so my feeling that it was off I posted about above was wrong. After the NPC burn the WEDG constraint needs to be removed from TI, because there is no more pure plane change burn.

After NH I used the TIGs for the NC-4 and TI maneuvers from the evaluation table and kep them fixed throughout the rest of the rendezvous. The DH constraint needs to be removed, because there is no more NH type maneuver.

Same thing after NC-4, the "DR = -8" constraint needs to be removed, because there is no more NC maneuver.

Last edited by indy91; 02-18-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #81
GLS
Addon Developer

Potentially silly question: when the first maneuver is deleted, should the secondaries of the next maneuver always be deleted? Could this be automated?
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #82
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Potentially silly question: when the first maneuver is deleted, should the secondaries of the next maneuver always be deleted? Could this be automated?
It probably could be automated, but if you forget to delete it then the MFD will give an error that tells you exactly what went wrong, at least in the case of the three iterator types (NC, NH and NPC with their constraints). Then you just need to find the constraint that causes an issue and delete it with the help of the DES button. Should be easy enough.
Thanked by:
Old 02-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #83
Wolf
Donator

About STS-114 I have a couple of questions
NC-1: after launching the scenario I calculate, transfer and load the burn data but I am confused about which TIG I should use for the burn since the Man Eval Table TIG differs from the Detailed Maneuver Table (screenshot below)
Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	16400

also the target orbit calculated by FDO is 162x127 NM while SSU , once the data are fed into OPS202 gives me a different orbit (150x134 NM)

Name:	0004.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	16401
I tried using the Man Eval Table TIG for the SSU burn but the orbit still won't match..

I am sure it'd me doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is..

Last thing: I guess speeding the sim time messes up all the data
After time accel up to x1000 I did recalculate the data with FDO MFD and the results are quite different. it shows now a lower DVtot (115.4 fps) and the TIG has moved 3 minutes later

Name:	0006.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	16402

Is it due to non spherical gravity sources enabled or is it FDO MFD that doesn't like time warp or maybe both things together?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #84
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 About STS-114 I have a couple of questions
NC-1: after launching the scenario I calculate, transfer and load the burn data but I am confused about which TIG I should use for the burn since the Man Eval Table TIG differs from the Detailed Maneuver Table (screenshot below)
Yep, they differ because of an option on the transfer page. OPT vs. IMP. With the OPT option the TIG is moved back by the burntime divided by 2. The reason for this is that the previous pages (constraints and evaluation table) calculate the burn as if it happens instantly, so it doesn't take into account which thruster is used for the burned. That is done with the OPT option and then displayed on the Detailed Maneuver Table. So you should always use the TIG and DV vector from the DMT for the OPS 202 inputs. That makes sure that the trajectory after the burn is as desired.

Quote:
also the target orbit calculated by FDO is 162x127 NM while SSU , once the data are fed into OPS202 gives me a different orbit (150x134 NM)

I tried using the Man Eval Table TIG for the SSU burn but the orbit still won't match..

I am sure it'd me doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is..
I'll have a look, but it's probably that the FDO MFD doesn't calculate those quite right as finite burns. Shuttle computer gives the better predictions. The calculation of those parameters isn't connected to the calculation of the burn itself, so the TIG and DV should still give very accurate results.

Quote:
Last thing: I guess speeding the sim time messes up all the data
After time accel up to x1000 I did recalculate the data with FDO MFD and the results are quite different. it shows now a lower DVtot (115.4 fps) and the TIG has moved 3 minutes later

Is it due to non spherical gravity sources enabled or is it FDO MFD that doesn't like time warp or maybe both things together?
Definitely make sure that the gravity setting you have enabled in Orbiter matches the one in the OMP Executive Menu. Orbiter supports both and the MFDs should support both, but they need to match. I haven't ever tried 1000x in SSU. One thing that it could be is that Orbiter stops doing the nonspherical gravity calculations at a certain timestep length, but I believe that only happens at even larger time accelerations than 1000x.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra