Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #7126
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA328 View Post
 {image} {image} {image}

XR-2 Virgin skin + reflections
Which renderer is that and does it use PBR/Metalness or the old Specular style?
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #7127
PA328
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett287 View Post
 Which renderer is that and does it use PBR/Metalness or the old Specular style?

I use reflection and normal maps.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Arrow in orbit

Last edited by PA328; 11-16-2017 at 05:49 PM.
PA328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #7128
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA328 View Post
 I use reflection and normal maps.
Probably specular then. Try tuning it down a little? Most of these ships are painted metal and the bits that aren't are probably scratched or scorched. I shouldn't really be able to see my face in it. Be more subtle, it'll look better. Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #7129
PA328
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett287 View Post
 Probably specular then. Try tuning it down a little? Most of these ships are painted metal and the bits that aren't are probably scratched or scorched. I shouldn't really be able to see my face in it. Be more subtle, it'll look better. Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.
I do not pretend to be realistic The effect of the Arrow reflections is overestimated for entertainment. For Xr, I specifically made the likeness of a chrome body.

Last edited by PA328; 11-17-2017 at 05:41 AM.
PA328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #7130
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Quote:
Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.
It's a question of scales. From the intended closest viewing distance (i.e. where you have about one texture pixel per screen pixel), any surface structure of the order of a length scale that corresponds to a few pixels is represented by the normal map. Anything smaller by the reflection map.

Using appropriate blur in the environment reflection in combination with low specular shininess can pretty much reproduce a lot of surface structures - especially if you include Fresnel enhancement of specularity under low angles.

So it depends a bit on what you mean by 'specular workflow' - a standard Blinn-Phong scheme is a bit limited, but if you have a shader which can do environment mapping and Fresnel you can do most (I guess the next big one is then sub-surface scattering which you use for skin).
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots