Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

Ok, having a bit of problem with the code, I've got cargo spawning in the cargo slots but when I ungrapple it it just drops to the ground vertically rather than releasing in the cargo slotrelease position. Any obvious ideas?
Ashaman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #32
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman42 View Post
 Ok, having a bit of problem with the code, I've got cargo spawning in the cargo slots but when I ungrapple it it just drops to the ground vertically rather than releasing in the cargo slotrelease position. Any obvious ideas?
Orbiter have a problem with dropped object, there is a high risk of "light speed bounce", this is why the code "force" the cargo on ground when the "ship" release one if landed.

I think you'd have to live with it or "cheat" if you can, making the cargo naturally appear on ground (so no sudden drope) or loading the cargo mesh and make an animation to ground (complex and not proof)

Now I don't see exactly where your cargo is supposed to appear ? Maybe I can help more if I know that ?

Dan
dansteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #33
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz313th View Post
 Just whatever was there when I pulled the texture. I think it's a Screen Saver. I didn't mess with it, since I think we are gonna try to use the Laptop screen as a VC. So as soon as I hear from Ashaman on what he wants there it will just be that screen saver.
Now what would be wild is that laptop showing a session of Orbiter with your rig on the screen, showing that same laptop with the same image ad nauseum.

It looks great, can't wait to try it out!
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #34
Brycesv1
Crash Test Expert

i just finished building my lunar base. cant wait for your mining rig so my crew has some more objectives. will there be more "accessory" objects? eg. like the lights or tanks/storage objects that can be loaded onto the arrow for transport back to earth.
Brycesv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #35
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansteph View Post
 Orbiter have a problem with dropped object, there is a high risk of "light speed bounce", this is why the code "force" the cargo on ground when the "ship" release one if landed.

I think you'd have to live with it or "cheat" if you can, making the cargo naturally appear on ground (so no sudden drope) or loading the cargo mesh and make an animation to ground (complex and not proof)

Now I don't see exactly where your cargo is supposed to appear ? Maybe I can help more if I know that ?

Dan
What I mean is that the ungrappled cargo isn't releasing to the release position but is just dropping from the cargo slot. It almost seems as if it thinks it is releasing in space.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #36
dansteph
Addon Developer

Quote:
 What I mean is that the ungrappled cargo isn't releasing to the release position but is just dropping from the cargo slot. It almost seems as if it thinks it is releasing in space.
Aaah the opposite then ?

The only reason I can see is that your vessel state is not "grounded", does it move or shake even a bit ?

Dan
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #37
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

No it doesn't shake, and if I do "ctrl-i" it's status shows as idle/landed.

Odd, will have a triple check over my code tomorrow (not at my computer at the moment), was just checking if it was likely to be something obvious.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #38
dansteph
Addon Developer

If you really can't sort it out send me the project zipped I would have a look.
(not the code but the config, mesh and dll ready to unzip)

Dan
Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

Well I tweaked my vessel touchdown points from y=0 to y=-0.00001 and it fixed it. Just a bit of tweaking to do and I should be able to release v1 this evening/tomorrow.

There is definitely more things I want to do but think I will save those for a v2.

Thank you very much for UCGO Dan, it really is fantastic.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #40
dansteph
Addon Developer

Great, I was thinking about contact point,

Glad you sorted it out.

Cheers

Dan
Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #41
kevinvr
Orbinaut

Quote:

There is definitely more things I want to do but think I will save those for a v2.

Thank you very much for UCGO Dan, it really is fantastic.
How about a bulldozer or caterpillar to scoop ore etc?
Can't wait to see the finished product!
kevinvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #42
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

V1 nearly done, an hour or two tomorrow after work and I reckon we'll be there. Will probably work on a refinery and smelter first and then come back an do a v2 of the miner.

At the moment I've got a basic virtual cockpit looking at the computer but the output is just text on the hud, I do intend later to have the computer screen clickable to control the miner.

At the moment the miner autospawns a rock cargo every 30seconds and the autospawn can be turned on or off. What do people think, is this too quick an autospawn.

Something I have noticed is that the autospawn works at 10x time but stops at 100x, I think it might be that the sim time counter is skipping at higher accelerations but not entirely sure.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #43
Brycesv1
Crash Test Expert

30 seconds does seem too fast. orbiter would FAR too quickly fill up with performance choking debris

perhaps things like electrical management could be added? solar panels create batteries while they are pointed at the sun, then that power must be used while the panels are not facing the sun ie. in planets shadow. maybe production can be increased by pumping more power into it while reducing total power to ore efficiency.

Last edited by Brycesv1; 01-25-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Brycesv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #44
Buzz313th
Orbinaut

Here's my oppinion... I would say no faster than one full load in 10 minutes if it has a storage area where it releases the cargo, so it can pile up.. There is another option. Set it up so that it won't create another load of rocks until somebody has removed the last load of rocks.. Then the resuply rate would really be dependant on transportation to and from the miner/refinery. Remember, we can use the UCGO cars with AI waypoints to define an automatic route with both "Grapple Cargo" and Ungrapple cargo waypoints. So, with the miner creating a full load of rocks at once per 10 minutes. Then the ai waypoint routine could look something like...

Waypoint 1: Drive to Miner #1 and grapple cargo in range.
Waypoint 2: Drive to refinery and ungrapple cargo.
Waypoint 3 : Drive to Miner #2 and Grapple cargo
Waypoint 4: Drive to Refinery and ungrapple cargo

Rinse and repeat.

If the spawn rate on the Miner is too high, then there is no need to manage more than 1 Miner. If it is lower, it motivates one to manage more miners, thus spend more time transporting machinery (flying) and this is a flightsim...

Ashaman, any more thought on making the Miners or other machinery, energy (Battery) dependant?

JB
Buzz313th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #45
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

Well the autospawn is switchable so wouldnt necessarily fill the universe with rock cargo but I have managed to make the spawn time settable.

You can set the spawntime in seconds via the scenario file, I could try and get it via config file but as scenario file is working I think I will leave it be. Is that an acceptable approach?

Ric.

P.S. I have got ideas for solar power as we discussed, think I will leave that for v2 though as I'd like to get a release out there for some feedback on what we've got so far.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development