Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old
Addon Comments
Arrow HST-Ex
by OrbitHangar 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM

Author: brianj

Another Hubble Space Telescope! feat. zoom FOV down to 0.2deg, "GoTo" by target name or RA / Dec, sun-tracking arrays, etc.

Also features removable science modules (4 axial modules, 3 radial modules, 3 RSU) and solar arrays.

Add-on includes replacement modules, solar arrays and associated shuttle cargo-bay carrier and EVA astronauts for the first HST Servicing Mission (STS-61)

Scenarios included (for default Orbiter "Atlantis" or "ShuttleFleet4.7")
STS-31 - HST launch.
STS-61 - Servicing Mission 1 launch.
STS-61 - On Orbit, approaching HST

REQUIREMENTS
ShuttleFleet scenarios require ShuttleFleet4.7
http://simviation.com/1/browse-Orbiter+Addons-142-1

Updated: 09 Nov 11 - modules recompiled, HST attachment point to Shuttle now compatible with SSU, HST mesh tweaked.

Updated: 05 Dec 11 - added scenarios for ShuttleFleet4.7

Big thanks to Donamy for letting me at his HST meshes....

DOWNLOAD
Views 15869 Comments 61
Total Comments 61

Comments

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
IronRain

Great add-on, thanks!
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRain View Post
 Great add-on, thanks!
You're welcome

Blimey!..straight in at No.4 on the OH Top 10 Downloads for the week...with 0 downloads ....new add-ons must be pretty thin on the ground at the moment!?!

Anyhow, here's another Orbiter project that snowballed out of control. Started with just a HST with zoomable view and Goto pointing function, then I thought it might be fun to be able to do some of the Hubble Servicing missions - and that needed some EVA astronauts, and all the replacement units - and the carriers for the shuttle cargo bay, etc.etc.

I may make all the other HST servicng missions (SM2,3a,3b,4) in due course - but I've been messing around with this for a while and need a break or some inspiration!

I'm no Shuttle buff - so suggestions welcome. If anyone wants to make launch scenarios for use with "Shuttle Fleet" or "SSU" that would be cool.

Once again, thanks to Donamy for donating his HST mesh (and associated bits and pieces)

Cheers,
Brian
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

how about something along the lines of the Soyuz

or in fact, how about the Progress, since NMolson is working on a Soyuz...

i just got into the ISS v3.2 by thornton, and its incredible! see if you can draw some inspiration from there

good work man!
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Voyager_VI
Sailor Tim

I'm hoping you have something atop an Atlas waiting in the wings Brian
Voyager_VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 You're welcome

Blimey!..straight in at No.4 on the OH Top 10 Downloads for the week...with 0 downloads ....new add-ons must be pretty thin on the ground at the moment!?!

Cheers,
Brian
I count 9 in the last 13 days, 2 of which were mine. I think I hit the ground at #6 or #7 when I released the Cortez.

Either way, this looks like an awesome addon. Can't wait to rendezvous and have a closer look!
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager_VI View Post
 I'm hoping you have something atop an Atlas waiting in the wings Brian
Sorry to disappoint, but I got hung up on making HST stuff. Maybe by the time MOI happens...unless someone else wants to sling together a quick rover/skycrane/heatshield/backshell/cruisemodule combo before then!!

So many spacecraft - so little time.

Cheers all,
Brian

P.S. I wonder if the Hubble Servicing Mission 1 (STS-61) would be a good mission for Orbiter Multi-Player users? Never used OMP myself, but it might be fun to have a Pilot/RMS operator + EV1 + EV2 working together.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
 P.S. I wonder if the Hubble Servicing Mission 1 (STS-61) would be a good mission for Orbiter Multi-Player users? Never used OMP myself, but it might be fun to have a Pilot/RMS operator + EV1 + EV2 working together.
Is that even possible ??
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Is that even possible ??
Hi Don,
I just looked at a couple of posts on the OMP forum - sounds like OMP can't handle docking/attachments - so I guess it's "no go". Shame.

Someone who uses OMP could probably say for sure.

BTW do you still need that "EVA astronaut" with all the animations, that you sent me for coding a while back? If yes, email it over to me again(I lost it) and I'll try and get around to it. Or maybe the EV1 from HST-Ex would suffice for your needs?

Thanks and regards,
Brian
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

OMP can handle docking, but it has its restrictions (especially on vessels that have working nosecones, sometimes you have to switch to someone elses vessel to open their nosecone before you can dock (even though THEY opened it)
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
DaveS
Addon Developer

Here's my report so far.

Blue rectangle: The HST is situated halfway below the PLB.

Red circles: The grapple fixtures have the texture of Power/Data Grapple Fixtures(PDGFs), when they should have the texture of Flight Releasable Grapple Fixtures(FRGFs).

Green ellipses: These EVA handrails should be removed as they do not exist on the real HST.

I will report more as I continue the testing.

DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
BrianJ
thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
 OMP can handle docking, but it has its restrictions (especially on vessels that have working nosecones, sometimes you have to switch to someone elses vessel to open their nosecone before you can dock (even though THEY opened it)
Maybe it would be suitable then. Thanks. If anyone manages to get it working in OMP, let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Here's my report so far.
Blue rectangle: The HST is situated halfway below the PLB.
Hi Dave
thanks for the report. Are you using the SSU? (doesn't look like the default Atlantis). If so, is there a way of setting the shuttle cargo-bay attachment point? (possibly via a scenario line, like the default Atlantis?)

Quote:
 Red circles: The grapple fixtures have the texture of Power/Data Grapple Fixtures(PDGFs), when they should have the texture of Flight Releasable Grapple Fixtures(FRGFs).
Ah. Donamy probably had the right textures before I mucked them up.
PDGF's look more aesthetically interesting - but I'll change them if I can find an image of a FRGF

Quote:
 Green ellipses: These EVA handrails should be removed as they do not exist on the real HST.
No problems - the less mesh, the better my old graphics card likes it.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Hi Dave
thanks for the report. Are you using the SSU? (doesn't look like the default Atlantis). If so, is there a way of setting the shuttle cargo-bay attachment point? (possibly via a scenario line, like the default Atlantis?)
Yes, SSU and no, no way of setting the PL position in the vertical and lateral(Y/X) axes.

Quote:
 Ah. Donamy probably had the right textures before I mucked them up.
PDGF's look more aesthetically interesting - but I'll change them if I can find an image of a FRGF
Here's some photos of the HST being processed at the KSC Vertical Processing Facility(VPF):

http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i...e/89pc0954.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i...e/89pc1006.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i.../89PC-1007.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i...e/89pc0949.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i.../89PC-0947.jpg

And here's some photos of it being loaded into Discovery's PLB:
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i.../90PC-0488.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i...e/90pc0487.jpg
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/i...e/90pc0503.jpg

Last edited by DaveS; 10-29-2011 at 09:58 PM.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Yes, SSU and no, no way of setting the PL position in the vertical and longitudinal(Y/X) axes.
More precisely: You can manipulate Z for the main attachments (controlled by switches), but not X/Y. This is only possible by changing the payload attachment point. This had been done because of pure laziness - it is simpler to calculate most actions if the payload knows how to align itself. Otherwise we would need to adapt to every new payload along a mission - eg storing one satellite where another was released, etc.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
barrygolden
Orbinaut

Default new ideas

Great work on the HST missions. The STS Payloads have always been one of my favorite addons, really would like to see more of the payloads and be able to fly those missions.

Just some thoughts would be to create the missions of 1986 with the centaur upper stage and other things that never flew from that year or an addon that that has the DOD payloads launching from the west coast, Teal Ruby, KH 11, lacross and Magnum would be fum to see. I think most of the stuff is out there or could be done pretty quickly such as the KH11 sat is close to HST, lacross ( see ssms 07 for a look at this sat) would look and work a lot like the power module from Skylab 1980 and Teal Ruby would be a lot like the ERBS sat from STS payloads. The launch pad could come from the Aircraft fleet and a centaur upper stage can be found in the Velcro stuff

If I could do this I would so good luck with these

Barry
barrygolden is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments