Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #541
Ripley
Tutorial translator

I could be wrong, but something from the back of my head suggested me: could you try to rename the file Device.dat in your Orbiter root folder, and see if it gets recreated upon next start?
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #542
Upkeep
Orbinaut

Yes it does get recreated. But still no luck.
Thanks again for trying.
All the best
Upkeep
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #543
kuddel
Donator

A very nasty little problem you present here...
Maybe this is not an option for you, but since you're having these problems after you've updated your NVIDIA driver to 411.70, would a downgrade to a former version be an option to try?
Or does the 411.70 version need a BIOS update, too? But I doubt, 'cause you can run other applications (DX10, 11 or 12 I presume) without issues.
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #544
Upkeep
Orbinaut

Thanks for your response.

Yes, going back to a much earlier driver is an option I could try in principle. I expect there is not any particular problem doing so (except for establishing how far to go back as this issue has been around for me for a while now).

I am now currently running Nvidia driver 416.34 which produced the same problem with Orbiter, not surprisingly. Nividia seem to update their drivers very frequently...

I am nevertheless reluctant to go back to an earlier driver for a number of reasons:

1. All my other applications are working well with the new driver and I even appear to be getting better fps on some.

2. I am concerned about damaging my system in the process of going back to an older driver. I realise the risks are probably low here of course.

3. On principle I am not keen on using old drivers for anything. They are usually updated for a reason and Windows may well be updated in tandem with new releases from vendors. I like to keep the pc update to date as best I can.

The strange thing is that usually, when a driver is updated, other people suffer the same problem and some expert is able to find a solution. I am not an expert at all and tend to be risk averse as far as fiddling with software is concerned. So I seem to have a uniqiue set-up here

I think I am back to square 1 on this one, sadly.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your efforts to help.

I do appreciate them.

Best wishes

Upkeep
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #545
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upkeep View Post
 ...1. All my other applications are working well with the new driver and I even appear to be getting better fps on some...
Since you speak about fps, I assume that by applications you mean other games?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #546
Upkeep
Orbinaut

Yes. That is correct. Applications was no doubt the wrong terminology. Sorry about that.

Best wishes

Upkeep
Old 10-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #547
martins
Orbiter Founder

Is there any new information on this problem with the new Titan textures in the D3D9 client? In particular, is the problem with the textures themselves (i.e. something I need to fix) or with the D3D9 code that somebody else is going to look into?

Is it linked to the cloud layer and/or cloud shadows? What happens if clouds are disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 About these new Titan textures, I've taken 4 screenshots (scenario is "The Solar System - Titan", starting paused):

Orbiter2016, default textures

Orbiter2016, D3D9Client2016-R3b, default textures

Orbiter2016, HiRes Titan textures + new config

Orbiter2016, D3D9Client2016-R3b, HiRes Titan textures + new config

martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #548
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Is there any new information on this problem with the new Titan textures in the D3D9 client?

The problem with Titan textures is caused by a missing configuration file for Titan's atmosphere. The file was uploaded to D3D9 SVN right after the discovery of the problem. I'll have to double check if the file is actually present in the latest release.

The file appears to be there in Orbiter BETA build of the Client but is missing from 2016 build.

Last edited by jarmonik; 10-22-2018 at 08:22 PM.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #549
kuddel
Donator

I can confirm, that
a) the 2016 Version (of D3D9Client) is lacking those configuration files[1]
b) with them, Titan looks nice in Orbiter 2016.
...I'll wait for Jarmo to commit those files into the branch.

[1] Titan.atmo.cfg and Titan.atms.cfg
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #550
Ripley
Tutorial translator

I've updated to the latest D3D9 (R3.1), but the result is no changes to the 4 screenshots I already posted, which are still exactly the same.
BTW, it might be obvious, but those screenshots were all taken with cloud layer ON.

I've taken 4 new screens, all with cloud layer OFF, and here they are:

O2016 - HiRes tex - D3D9 R3.1 - Cloud layer OFF

O2016 - HiRes tex - Cloud layer OFF

O2016 - Def tex - D3D9 R3.1 - Cloud layer OFF

O2016 - Def tex - Cloud layer OFF
Thanked by:
Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #551
jarmonik
Beta Tester

There is a small problem on the roof panel in stock DeltaGlider. Some of the scematics are invisible in D3D9. The reason is that the alpha channel is set to be fully transparent in (blittgt1.dds). For some reason the DX7 Inline engine seems to ignore the transparency. I don't know what steps leads to this result. One way to fix this is to convert the file in DXT1 format without alpha. That seems to be working in both DX7 and DX9.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem.jpg  
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta