Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 AM   #4516
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Is anyone else seeing massive frame rate losses in D3D9Client 3.0 when on the night side? On the day side everything is perfectly normal but once I'm on the night side, my FPS drops from a rock steady 144 to around 30!
I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Can you confirm that it occurs with stock vessels/scenarios like the "Atlantis docked at ISS". Very common cause for frame rate problems is a lot of errors being printed into the log. So, could you also check the D3D9Client.log for any error messages.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #4517
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Can you confirm that it occurs with stock vessels/scenarios like the "Atlantis docked at ISS". Very common cause for frame rate problems is a lot of errors being printed into the log. So, could you also check the D3D9Client.log for any error messages.
Checked the log and no error messages. And it seems to be limited to SSU, I just can't understand why. Is it due to the complexity of the mesh? If so, then Donamy's ISS should be way worse as it is far more complex. And this is just the orbiter.

Here's my PC specs:
CPU: Intel i7 7700K 4.5 GHz
RAM: 2xHyperX Fury 2400 MHz 8 GB DIMMs
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB, latest NVIDIA drivers
PSU: Corsair RM650 650 W
O/S: Windows 10 build 1803 (April 2018 Update)
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #4518
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Checked the log and no error messages. And it seems to be limited to SSU, I just can't understand why. Is it due to the complexity of the mesh?
It's not a mesh complexity issue, for sure. I found a lead, if I reduce the FoV down to 10deg I get massive drop in frame rate and it's related to reflections. So, somethings gone wrong in there. So, could you check that if disabling reflections and custom cameras restores the frame rate for you ? Or are these problems a separate problems ?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #4519
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
 Are there any plans to upload a stable pre-compiled version of the 4.xx version of SSU? I've read through Dave's tutorial on compiling from sourceforge, and honestly, don't have enough knowledge with those types of programs to feel comfortable compiling a version myself.

BTW, I've been using your shuttle fleet in one form or another for years, and I'm glad to see SSU moving along.

Thanks,

Tim
We released SSU 4.2 for Orbiter 2010. It's available in Sourceforge (and a link to that is also available in OrbiterHangar).
For Orbiter 2016 we haven't done a release yet... there are still a few items to finish.... but we'll get there.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #4520
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9Client2016 R3.0b

Here's a minor update.

What's New:
- Attempt to fix the reported frame rate issue.
- New shadowing option added: "All visible vessels"
- Some other bug fixes.

I tried the method of converting a surface base meshes to a visuals in an attempt to address some shadowing issues. But it doesn't seems to be working because the launch tower isn't a separate mesh, it's just a portion of a bigger mesh.

Kuddel and I have been doing some "merging" between the Beta and 2016 branches and a new D3D9 build for Orbiter beta is coming out soon. Just waiting some news about the frame issue reported earlier.
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9Client2016-R3b.zip (1.69 MB, 25 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #4521
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Here's a minor update.

What's New:
- Attempt to fix the reported frame rate issue.
- New shadowing option added: "All visible vessels"
- Some other bug fixes.

I tried the method of converting a surface base meshes to a visuals in an attempt to address some shadowing issues. But it doesn't seems to be working because the launch tower isn't a separate mesh, it's just a portion of a bigger mesh.

Kuddel and I have been doing some "merging" between the Beta and 2016 branches and a new D3D9 build for Orbiter beta is coming out soon. Just waiting some news about the frame issue reported earlier.
I can happily report that the frame rate losses I reported earlier is now a thing of the past!
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #4522
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9Client R27.0 for Orbiter Beta r.73

Here's the latest version of the client for Orbiter Beta r.73

This build includes over a year old bug fixes and minor features from 2016 branch. So, might be good idea to keep an eye of any possible issues the changes might have caused. Hopefully none.

Kuddel's been working on something related to a planetary surface labels.

Runway-lights has been fixed and should appear correctly now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta27-forRev73.zip (1.71 MB, 20 views)
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #4523
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Here's the latest version of the client for Orbiter Beta r.73

This build includes over a year old bug fixes and minor features from 2016 branch. So, might be good idea to keep an eye of any possible issues the changes might have caused. Hopefully none.

Kuddel's been working on something related to a planetary surface labels.

Runway-lights has been fixed and should appear correctly now.
All looks fine here!!!

Now if you excuse me, I have to clean all the drool out of the keyboard...
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #4524
Felix24
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix24 View Post
 until I get around to fixing the shader.
Here's a start. This should help efforts to get translucency and self-shadows to work at the same time.

Pros:
1. The translucency effect works now on ISS solar arrays.

Cons:
1. Self-shadowing doesn't work on them yet.
2. This code works only in the D3D9Client2016-R3 version and not not R3b, as there was a change between the two versions to get self-shadowing to work on the ISS solar arrays.
3. Ambient/planet glow doesn't illuminate ISS solar arrays (or any other surface painted by Vessel.fx?)

Code goes into Vessel.fx between lines 127 and 159.
PHP Code:
    // Compute Transluciency effect --------------------------------------------------------------
    //

if (gCfg.Transx) {

float4 cTransm float4(cTex.rgb1.0f);

if (
gCfg.Transm) {

cTransm tex2D(TransmSfrg.tex0.xy);

cTransm.*= 1024.0f;
        }

float3 cTransl cTex.rgb;

if (
gCfg.Transl) {

cTransl tex2D(TranslSfrg.tex0.xy).rgb;
        }

// Texture Tuning -------------------------------------------------------
        //

if (gTuneEnabled) {

cTransm *= gTune.Transm.rgba;

cTransl *= gTune.Transl.rgb;
        }

float sunLightFromBehind saturate(dot(gSun.DirnrmW));        

float sunSpotFromBehind pow(saturate(dot(gSun.DirCamD)), cTransm.a);        

sunSpotFromBehind *= saturate(sunLightFromBehind 3.0f);// Causes the transmittance (sun spot) effect to fall off at very shallow angles

cTransl.rgb *= saturate(cSun sunLightFromBehind);

cTex.rgb += (cTex.rgb) * cTransl.rgb;

cTex.rgb += cTransm.rgb * (sunSpotFromBehind cSun);
    } 
I hope this makes sense.
Felix24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #4525
Ripley
Tutorial translator

As usual, latest D3D9 versions are (also) downloadable from Tuttovola.org:
- D3D9Client2016-R3b
- D3D9ClientBeta27-forRev73
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #4526
Donamy
Beta Tester

An issue with the R3b.
I took a shot of the same scene with the R3 and R3b.
The R3b version has many meshes that are not lit by sunlight. The R3 (top) shot is after I reinstalled the R3 over the R3b and the reflections work, with all the vessels lit. With a few frame rate decrease.
Attached Thumbnails
R3_R3b.jpg  

Last edited by Donamy; 05-12-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #4527
Kyle_E
Follower of Christ

I found the problem for this bug I posted about earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E View Post
 Not sure if this is a documented bug or not, but with all clients for the official Orbiter 2016 build after R2-Beta1, the atmosphere looks like this (this is a clean install).
The problem is the integrated Intel graphics card. When I run it on our new computer which has a dedicated graphics card it looks amazing. As soon as I run it on one with an integrated card the problem reappears.
Kyle_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #4528
Abloheet
Addon Developer

The vessel self shadowing is so beautiful. Now I realise what is it that Orbiter was missing so long.

The shadow cast by the vessel is projected onto the base objects. Can the base objects cast shadows onto other base objects?

Also, can someone please explain the various options under the self shadows section in the d3d9 client advanced tab? And what those various local light source options do?

And how to add reflectivity to vessels like the deltaglider?
Abloheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #4529
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abloheet View Post
 Can the base objects cast shadows onto other base objects?
Currently, no. Base objects have some problems preventing a proper shadowing. Only objects those are compact enough can be shadowed with current technique.

Configuration settings:

Top-Left:
This will control how many vessels will receive shadowing feature, varying from "None" to "All visible" vessels.

Top-Right:
That will select filtering for shadow maps. "9 Samples" is the fastest setting for older computers and "27s Dither" is the best that is currently available. Better filtering produces a smoother (better) edges for shadows. The difference becomes more visible when zooming the camera into a shadows.

Bottom-Left:
This setting will choose the shadowing mode for planetary surface and base-objects. "Stensil" is the legacy mode that's been there for ages. "Projective" produces more realistic surface shadows for the focus (i.e. currently active) vessel but doesn't effect in any other vessel (all the other vessels are using Stensil shadows). In this mode the focus vessel can cast shadows on base objects. This shadowing option doesn't work well if the vessel is inside a base object.

Local light sources:
That will simply select the maximum number of light sources that can emit light at the same time on the same mesh. Each mesh can have a different set of light sources casting light on them. So, you can see light sources on screen lot more than just 4 or 8.

"Partial light" settings only perform diffuse light computations, no specular reflections from light sources. "Full light" also performs specular light computations.

Last edited by jarmonik; 05-16-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #4530
kuddel
Donator

Hehe, thanks for the "hint" Jarmo

I take that as a request to update the documentation...
Some things have already been done (trunk rev.958), but as the Dialog has undergone a lot of changes some more tweaking has to be done.
Stay tuned!
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient