Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #76
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 I agree, 99,99% chances. After all, maybe that somewhere an alien species has a dematerialization technology, maybe they warped right over the plane, took it, and went back in their galaxy. But that would make little difference for us, if you see what I mean.
But it would make a difference, if the aircraft landed on one of the many longer runways in the region, that had been created by the US Airforce for the Vietnam war, and later forgot that it exists.

Is that REALLY less likely than a plane disappearing over the ocean without a trace?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #77
N_Molson
Addon Developer

We'll see, but the ocean is huge. I also remember it took more than 6 days to locate only the tail fin of Rio-Paris AF447 back in June 2009.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #78
MattBaker
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Is that REALLY less likely than a plane disappearing over the ocean without a trace?
I think if you want to do one of both you can easily do it. At least as the pilot and maybe First Officer. When you play by the book and let normal odds take over however...then this plane should fly around again.

Although it kinda does, last time I checked on flightradar Malaysia Airlines uses the same flight number on.
MattBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #79
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson View Post
 We'll see, but the ocean is huge. I also remember it took more than 6 days to locate only the tail fin of Rio-Paris AF447 back in June 2009.
But AF447 crashed far away from the civilization in a 6000m deep ocean. In this case, one search zone is 45-70 meter deep litoral water, the other, the Strait of Malacca, the busiest waterway in the world.

It is really unbelievable that nothing is found yet, because of the good odds of witnesses and accessible wrecks.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #80
garyw
O-F Administrator

That and by 2nd June a debris field was located right on the path the jet was supposed to take. From that it was just a matter of confirmation which occurred on 6th June.

With this one, there is nothing. The oil slicks and debris fields have been discounted so we are 4 days out with nothing. no ACARS, no transmissions, no debris. It's just vanished.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #81
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
 It makes no sense at all. I wonder if communication and navigation could have failed at the same time, but it is even more unlikely than a meteor impact. Without communication and severly degraded navigation, it would make sense to return and fly at low altitude at night for finding the airport from which they took off.
Electrical failure? That would knock out the fly-by-wire too, in which case the plane would then wander randomly until it crashed.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #82
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 Electrical failure?
Shouldn't there be redundant systems, batteries, RAT, etc?

Also, i find it quite strange that there are no primary radars in the area.
Shouldn't there be several radars from military bases capable of seeing the areas?
Do they keep records, that are available for cross-reference?
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #83
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Well, they are enlarging the search area. We'll see.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #84
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Shouldn't there be redundant systems, batteries, RAT, etc?
Exactly.

The 777-200 has 4 generators (2 per engine), one APU that automatically kicks in when AC power is missing, and a RAT, should the APU fail as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #85
fred18
Addon Developer

This is a real modern mistery...

all systems onboard are redundant, I don't think a simple electrical failure will put offline the flybywire and sayonara to 200 lives... If that's the case I will only fly on a world war 2 airplane from now on.....

The option of inflight sudden explosion is really strange... and if it's for a bomb why there, and why not coming out now... It is also true that Lybians didn't come out for Lockerbie as well, and if you think of 9/11 the Talibans immediatly stated that they were NOT involved... but anyway why in a flight from malaysia to china? ...

But anyway in flight sudden explosion would have produced traces that should have been found by the time... as correctly stated even the wrecks of AF447 were found within a week in the middle of the ocean where nothing is there except 6000 meters of water... and why the airplane seems to be last noticed so far from its original course without any radio contact...

that's a real puzzle...
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #86
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 Exactly.

The 777-200 has 4 generators (2 per engine), one APU that automatically kicks in when AC power is missing, and a RAT, should the APU fail as well.
Several fly-by-wire aircraft have had total electrical failure and none have crashed. As pointed out, in the event of electrical failure the Ram-Air-Turbine (RAT) is deployed.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #87
Screamer7
Orbinaut

Another thought I come up with.
What....oh how I hate that word "what", if the plane tried to make an emergency landing in the ocean somewhere?
We all know too well that the T7 is a very sturdy plane, as the Asiana crash demonstrated.
Only part of the tail assembly and one engine broke loose after hitting the seawall at more than 90 knots, and cartwheeling for some distance.
Maybe the fuselage is intact and it sank into the water, leaving little debris in the process.
Screamer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #88
astrosammy
Dash!

The Avherald article now has three Chinese satellite images from the 9th,
showing large objects near the last know position.
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #89
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

DigitalGlobe and Tomnod are also looking vor volunteers to look through satellites images (of dull empty ocean) and tag any interesting objects there (which are hard to find).

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #90
Matias Saibene
Orbinaut
Question

Although I have no knowledge of avionics and engineering think I have a little imagination and imagine the following scenario:

The plane flight runs its normal course . A passenger enters the cockpit and taken hostage pilots (and with them the whole aircraft ) thereupon forces them to turn off the radio and other communication systems. Then he forced the pilot to change course to a certain point , and forces him to land in the water (as in the case of U.S. Airways Flight 1549) near a boat that was waiting there, probably to kidnap all passengers for some reason. Meanwhile let sinking into the sea. The two passengers who had false passports were a smokescreen to distract the investigation.

That's what I imagine might have happened , I should clarify that I have no knowledge of aeronautics, or avionics, or criminology .

And with regard to the attention given to it in the media on the subject of the phones of the relatives were still ringing, I think is oversized to attract an audience (at least that's what they did in my country) .
Matias Saibene is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge