Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #91
Izack
Non sequitur

Lessons learned so far:
  • Taxiing off the paved area is a big no-no.
  • That climb indicator was actually an AOA indicator. (Flight ended very quickly.)
  • It is indeed necessary to understand Cyrillic to operate a Russian vehicle with success.
  • Laden ground attack aircraft do not have great handling characteristics.
  • High graphics settings make for very short, laggy and very painful flights.
  • The RADAR warning sound being sometimes annoying is not an excuse to disable your RADAR.

Now... would anyone be up to flying a (free version Su-25T) DCS mission or two with me? I should be available from around 13:00 to 16:00 UTC tomorrow.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #92
n122vu
Addon Developer

I would be, but I'd only be available from around 21:00 until 23:30 UTC.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #93
Izack
Non sequitur

Actually I'll probably be around then too.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #94
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Just remember the important line in the manual before you curse. "You have to hold the trigger for a second before a missile is fired". And it is a long second, when SAMs and AAA are aiming for you.
I remember that in Falcon 4.0 . Very long second indeed. When attacking you'd like to fire everything you have in a big salvo, then make a hard 9G 180 turn to get back home at full burners. It's why I always loved dumb-bombs, even if they are imprecise
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #95
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Been having a lot of fun reading about everyone's adventures--thanks for sharing, guys! I need to get my flight controls set back up and get back into simming...

A question about DCS...in multiplayer, does everybody need to have the appropriate DLC in order to see the correct vessel? For example, if I only had the free Frogfoot, but someone else wanted to fly with an A-10, would that be possible, and if so would I actually see the other guy in an A-10?

Last edited by Hielor; 10-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #96
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 A question about DCS...in multiplayer, does everybody need to have the appropriate DLC in order to see the correct vessel? For example, if I only had the free Frogfoot, but someone else wanted to fly with an A-10, would that be possible, and if so would I actually see the other guy in an A-10?
No. It should also work with the vanilla DCS:World. You just lack the flyable aircraft and you can't select special player roles, like you can because of DCS:Combined Arms.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #97
Fabri91
Donator

It's possible that I'm remembering something wrong, but doesn't one need to have at least one additional module in order to access multiplayer?
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #98
Scav
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Molson
 When attacking you'd like to fire everything you have in a big salvo
This . . .

. . . must be duly avoided.

Not to jack the thread overmuch, but does anyone still do anything with CFS3 at all? It's the last game/sim I actually purchased (I can rationalize this by the fact I spent $10 on it and I actually got what I wanted out of it for once!) and I'm still enjoying it.
Scav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #99
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
 This . . .

{image}

. . . must be duly avoided.

Not to jack the thread overmuch, but does anyone still do anything with CFS3 at all? It's the last game/sim I actually purchased (I can rationalize this by the fact I spent $10 on it and I actually got what I wanted out of it for once!) and I'm still enjoying it.
I did have me some fun with the P80 back in the day :D
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #100
Scav
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoey View Post
 I did have me some fun with the P80 back in the day :D
It's not about discovering the fact the campaign engine is based on reading and writing to XML files. It's about realizing what one can do with that fact.
Scav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #101
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
 It's not about discovering the fact the campaign engine is based on reading and writing to XML files. It's about realizing what one can do with that fact.
Nah...

'I wonder how many bombs the Eiffel Tower can take...'
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #102
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 No. It should also work with the vanilla DCS:World. You just lack the flyable aircraft and you can't select special player roles, like you can because of DCS:Combined Arms.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 It's possible that I'm remembering something wrong, but doesn't one need to have at least one additional module in order to access multiplayer?
Something I read online suggested the same thing; I'll need to look into it more.

Is the multiplayer only "couple people get together and start a mission, then once it's over the server shuts down and restarts"? Or could you theoretically have a dedicated server that people can get on and run missions on their own time without the server operator needing to do anything?
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #103
Fabri91
Donator

As of now there is not a dedicated remotely-controllable server program. One of the players has to host.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #104
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 Something I read online suggested the same thing; I'll need to look into it more.
I haven't seen anything like that yet.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #105
Izack
Non sequitur

Multiplayer seems to work fine for me, except for some reason you still need an account for DCS on top of your Steam account (if you have the Steam version, of course).

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags
air combat, digital combat simulator, flight simulation, non-orbiter, simulation