Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

has hardware even evolved far enough so someone can max-out SFX in a way that's practical and doesn't require a NASA mainframe-like setup

i was kinda happy in a way that FSX would be the last... perhaps finally, over the course of the next decade we can actually get our hardware around it
Moach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Turbinator
Orbinaut

I run FSX on maximum settings at a resolution of 2560x1600 with no problem.
Turbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

on what? (your profile has no hardware specs / i'm too dumb to find it)
Moach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
Zachstar
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moach View Post
 has hardware even evolved far enough so someone can max-out SFX in a way that's practical and doesn't require a NASA mainframe-like setup

i was kinda happy in a way that FSX would be the last... perhaps finally, over the course of the next decade we can actually get our hardware around it
Maxing FSX is relatively easy. It wants atleast two cores to be as fast as ill get out. Major setups use Tri and Quad cores at 3.6 to 4 Ghz but it prefers 2 cores extra fast than 4 cores slower. It is very unusual in this fashion as games usually demand for GPU strength.

#1 See to your CPU Speed and Cooling
#2 Ensure your Video Card has atleast 1 gig of ram of GDDR3 or GDDR5 if running at HD resolutions or greater
#3 Make sure FSX is fully updated.

And that is about it. You don't need a decade.

Instead ACES got shown the door while the next train sim was in dev and Microsoft expects us to be happy to play a ported Xbox game as an FSX replacement.. Sigh....
Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #20
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar View Post
 Instead ACES got shown the door while the next train sim was in dev and Microsoft expects us to be happy to play a ported Xbox game as an FSX replacement.. Sigh....
Wait what?

"Ported Xbox game?"

How do you figure? What XBox game do you think this was ported from? Do you know something we don't? It's rather too early to proclaim it a failure already, especially since we don't know anything at all about the title other than that it involves airplanes.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #21
DarkEnergy
Orbinaut

I'm going to stay optimistic about this. It's too early to tell one way or the other. After the agony of ACES being fired, this is a small ray of hope.
DarkEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #22
Zachstar
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 Wait what?

"Ported Xbox game?"

How do you figure? What XBox game do you think this was ported from? Do you know something we don't? It's rather too early to proclaim it a failure already, especially since we don't know anything at all about the title other than that it involves airplanes.
Are you kidding? That is the trend lately. Make the game primary for X360 or PS3 and port to other platforms. That is why we got absurd ports such as Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.

You company put out a VERY good OS and It was one of the best 100USD I have ever spent. But getting rid of the ACES team... And expecting us to have hope that this Flight is anything more than "The magic of flight" That is much.
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #23
Turbinator
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moach View Post
  on what? (your profile has no hardware specs / i'm too dumb to find it)
Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
6GB and Triple-Channel 1600MHz DDR32 Memory
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5870 - ATI CrossFireX
Running 6 500 Gb SATA HDDs on 3 RAIDs.

Last edited by Turbinator; 08-19-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #24
IgnoreThisBarrel
Local Pastafarian Missionary

Personally I'm wondering how long it took to render all the frames for that video, but this should be interesting. I wish they could've been a bit more specific about it...

My blatantly under-thought opinion so far: Why'd they remove the "Simulator" from it? And why is it "for everyone"? THIS MAKES ME VERY SUSPICIOUS!
IgnoreThisBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
Zachstar
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Extreme Edition Quad Core Processor
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5870 - ATI CrossFireX
Running 6 500 Gb SATA HDDs on 3 RAIDs.

You don't need this kind of power to Max FSX tho. You could likely match this performance in FSX by an AMD Kuma or Athlon II overclocked to 3.6 or so and if you have atleast 1GB of fast RAM on the video card I suspect max cards from ATi 3X and Nvidia 8X series could max it as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
n122vu
Addon Developer

"Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways."

So, what, there's going to be a MS flight game on Facebook?

"n122vu needs landing gears in Microsoft Flight! Click here to visit his airstrip and help him out!"
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
Turbinator
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 So, what, there's going to be a MS flight game on Facebook?
"n122vu needs landing gears in Microsoft Flight! Click here to visit his airstrip and help him out!"
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
DDR32 memory?

Where'd you get that? The year 2030?
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #29
Turbinator
Orbinaut

Whoops, typo. I meant DDR3 RAM
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #30
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

Default Microsoft flight

first of all, sorry if theres already a thread for this, but searching for "Microsoft flight" is basically the same as searching "Microsoft flight simulator", and there is now (and as of almost a year ago) a big difference between the two. if there is another thread, could someone please delete this thread so i dont look like a clot

next, i want to make it clear that ive only just found out about this, and i dont work for microsoft

the timing of my findings is actually quite clever, only yesterday, i discovered FSX had "Realism" settings, and i understood why my flight physics had been so... 1970's (it seems the default is almost 100% easy settings). however, i still found it impossible to spin, and the autorudder is a necessity due to my ageing joystick.
i thought to myself, "we really need a new flight simulator, one that has the simulation quality of X-Plane, and the ease of access, and easily understandable program navigation and controls like FSX", and it seems easier to work from FSX to X-Plane, rather than vice versa

but im craving to know more about it, the official site is so secretive, im doubting if half the dev team even knows what everyone else is doing. does anyone know of a good source of information on this project? or have they heard credible rumours themselves?

it might be worth sending a 2000 word e-mail describing what they're being expected to deliver here, and in fact, i will do once i post this, ive recently been thinking a bit about the perfect flight simulator.

so, assuming that this isnt a second thread for the topic, lets pool together some rumours (hopefully credible ones) and work out what MS is toiling away with in their virtual basement
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge