Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #121
4throck
Enthusiast !

I changed Venus.cfg to the same surface parameters as Earth. ;-)
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #122
martins
Orbiter Founder
Announcement New Orbiter Beta Released (r.52, Mar 09 2016)

Change log:
  1. Bug fix: tile visibility check would sometimes produce false negatives, resulting in visual artefacts (missing surface tiles) as discussed here.
  2. Bug fix: Incorrect elevation mapping for low-resolution (level 4) tiles, resulting in visual artefacts (random elevations) as discussed here.
  3. Reverted default Earth atmosphere model to J71G (had inadvertently been set to the Legacy2006 model for debugging)
  4. Playback scenarios: can now specify flight data directory with "Playback" entry in Environment group
  5. Scenarios: added some more scenarios in 2016 folder, removed some obsolete scenarios from 2010 folder
A new commit to OVP (r.49) implements point 1 in the D3D7 client.

Quote:
Using Earth surface+elevation data on Venus (only up to level 4) I get this strange effect (clouds removed):
This should now be fixed.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 AM   #123
Post much?
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Perhaps not the best topic for it, but I've made some progress in writing a Python script to convert a global heightmap image into level 4 elevation data.

There are some problems with scale and 16bit encoding (my fault, but I'm still learning these things) yet Iapetus equatorial ridge is visible!

Attachment 14326
Any chance you could polish up a new version for distribution?
Post much? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 AM   #124
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post much? View Post
This reminds me that I had promised to provide an example script for elevation tile generation. Here is the Matlab script I used to generate the lunar level-12 elevations from LOLA data. Note that this script (make_patch_ldem.m) expects the LDEM_512_*.img raw elevation data files, as found at http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/CYLINDRICAL/IMG/ to be located at ../data

To adapt this script to other data sources you will probably have to edit it somewhat, to account for differences in the source formats. This is just meant as an illustrative example. However, the tile read/write functions (read_elev_patch.m and write_elev_patch.m) may be useful since they encode the tile format as expected by Orbiter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip genelev_lola.zip (6.1 KB, 30 views)
Thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #125
birdmanmike
Orbinaut

on the SVN update to r52 getting conflicted scenarios (currentstate).scn - skipped.
Should I worry?
birdmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #126
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanmike View Post
 on the SVN update to r52 getting conflicted scenarios (currentstate).scn - skipped.
Should I worry?
No. This is because the latest commit has an updated default (CurrentState).scn, while your checked-out version has a local modification (after running Orbiter).

If you want to see the default CurrentState as it will appear in a new Orbiter installation, just delete your local (CurrentState).scn and update from the repository. But it's actually just a copy of 2016 Edition/Welcome to Orbiter 2016.
Thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #127
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
Sure, when I get around to handling elevation scale :-) , a few issues with duplicated data around the poles and output to higher resolutions (with proper folder structure).
Anyway, the script is aimed at importing data in image format, with altitude as grayscale values.

For now, here are the height files for Iapetus (with the above problems). Should be good enough to do some flying :-)
Elev.zip

Last edited by 4throck; 03-10-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #128
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Bug fix: tile visibility check would sometimes produce false negatives, resulting in visual artefacts (missing surface tiles) as discussed here.
Bug fix: Incorrect elevation mapping for low-resolution (level 4) tiles, resulting in visual artefacts (random elevations) as discussed here.
This should now be fixed.
Confirmed :-) Venus loads OK with level 4 surface+elevation
Thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #129
Marg
Orbinaut

I can report one issue... when scenario (on the Moon) is saved with ground camera near landed vessel, after loading scenario again, ground camera is reset to "0" level (I think), because it`s ~2900 m above vessel.
I can move viewpoint back to vessel, but after reloading scenario, it is up there again....
Likewise when I use ordinary camera (Abs-Dir, for example), being near vessel, if I press ground camera "current" tab (to switch to ground camera), it jumps up...

Last edited by Marg; 03-10-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #130
Post much?
Orbinaut

I re-saved the TC tiles (@512 ppd) to .bil, changed extension to .IMG, even edited a whole set of .LBL files to match the binary data. The script was in the root (C:\) directory, and the folder for the data was in C:\data. Yet, I get this...

Code:
processing: 12/0/0 ... Error using fread
Invalid file identifier. Use fopen to generate a valid file identifier.

Error in make_patch_ldem>maketile (line 204)
                    loadim = fread(fid,[im_nc,im_nr],'int16',0,'l')';

Error in make_patch_ldem (line 107)
            elev = maketile(level,ilng,ilat,display);
This was only with the make_patch_ldem.m script. Does it require the other scripts as well?

Using R2015b

EDIT: Adding the other scripts to the root directory fixed the problem. Alas, I only have 12GB of memory...

Code:
>> make_patch_ldem
Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.

Just to note, make_patch_ldem requires 16 tiles, each covering a 9045 region, and with the format filename_**N/S_**N/S_***_***.IMG,
where the first two fields indicate latitude and the last two fields indicate longitude, in PDS convention (0-360):

Code:
latname = {'45N_90N','00N_45N','45S_00S','90S_45S'};
lngname = {'180_270','270_360','000_090','090_180'};
Saving as a raw 16 bit signed file should work. The method I used was writing as a .bil within GDAL. Also I changed the variable data_scale to 1
to match the data values of my chosen dataset.

Change the variables im_nr (vertical resolution) and im_nc (horizontal resolution) to match the dimensions of the tiles.

Last edited by Post much?; 03-11-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Post much? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #131
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
 EDIT: Adding the other scripts to the root directory fixed the problem. Alas, I only have 12GB of memory...

Code:
>> make_patch_ldem
Out of memory. Type HELP MEMORY for your options.
Yes, well I was running the script on a Linux machine with 128GB RAM, so memory conservation wasn't a high priority. The script will require some extensive re-design to make it more memory-efficient.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #132
Eduard
Orbinaut

To be a little help in the development I would like to report some things here ...

> I have done a little test with the latest beta versions, I still notice the following critical problem:
Using timewarp 1000x or 10000x for a while frequently results into a CTD, for example when traveling between Earth and Moon. Most often it happens with the D3D9Client, but I also noticed it with the stock client. It starts with a badly responding and shaking screen during a short time, before the complete crash occurs.
It especially occurs almost always when using the Shuttle-A vessel, but I have seen it happening with the Deltaglider too now.
But when I start a saved scenario in transfer to the Moon in without changing anything in the orientation of my vessel, than the CTD doesn't seem to happen. I need to "do" something first. For example when I use the rotation RCS and then use timewarp, than it occurs.

> Deployed radiator of the Deltaglider automatically closes when starting saved scenario. Is this a known problem?

Last edited by Eduard; 03-19-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #133
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
 Deployed radiator of the Deltaglider automatically closes when starting saved scenario. Is this a known problem?
I noticed it too.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #134
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Most often it happens with the D3D9Client, but I also noticed it with the stock client. It starts with a badly responding and shaking screen during a short time, before the complete crash occurs.
That sounds very familiar. I can get the exact same symptoms after a minute or two of zooming in and out from the moons surface with terrain resolution set to 128 in D3D9 client.
Given your report, it seems possible that the problem originates in the orbiter core and gets expounded by the higher settings allowed by D3D9client.

Quote:
for example when traveling between Earth and Moon.
Can you be more specific? does the crash happen in a place where you could reasonably expect some terrain loading and unloading going on? To me, the whole thing still smells of a memory leak in the terrain engine, but I could easily be wrong.
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #135
jroly
Donator

Yes I too have had problems with it at 128, but I usually use dx9 client. It happens when near the terrain.

Last edited by jroly; 03-19-2016 at 01:50 PM.
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta