Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #2056
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Looking at the elevon seal panels, 2 sets of 4-bar linkage equations should be able to properly animate them... the problem is finding the positions of 7 points (6 as we have the elevon hinge). Better leave things as they are for now, as there are more important things to do.

Actually, its much simpler than a 4 bar.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9850008652.pdf
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #2057
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Actually, its much simpler than a 4 bar.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9850008652.pdf
That's where I was looking (figure 7). I think 2 are needed: the first to calculate the rotation of the bellcrank from the elevon rotation, and the second to calculate the rotation of the panel seal from the rotation of the bellcrank.
Anyway, that's in the future...
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #2058
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 That's where I was looking (figure 7). I think 2 are needed: the first to calculate the rotation of the bellcrank from the elevon rotation, and the second to calculate the rotation of the panel seal from the rotation of the bellcrank.
Anyway, that's in the future...

Or...simply calculate the point where the elevon seal touches the elevon.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #2059
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 And here's what I have measured as far as conversions between the coordinate systems go:

Code:
Xo0 = mesh/Orbiter Z24.4118003
Yo0 = mesh/Orbiter X0.00000
Zo0 = mesh/Orbiter Y-10.922
Compared with the animation data on the SSMEs, there seems to be a 0.4852m offset in the Zo-to-Y value, so it should be -10.4368.

---------- Post added 10-26-18 at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-25-18 at 11:34 PM ----------

^^ any news on this? I made a spreadsheet to ease the conversion between the 2 systems, but I'd like confirmation of the values before I commit it.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #2060
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Compared with the animation data on the SSMEs, there seems to be a 0.4852m offset in the Zo-to-Y value, so it should be -10.4368.

---------- Post added 10-26-18 at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-25-18 at 11:34 PM ----------

^^ any news on this? I made a spreadsheet to ease the conversion between the 2 systems, but I'd like confirmation of the values before I commit it.
You're correct, I miscalculated the Zo-to-Y value. Our Y0 is located at Zo410 which is location of the PLB sill longerons which converts to -10.414.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #2061
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 You're correct, I miscalculated the Zo-to-Y value. Our Y0 is located at Zo410 which is location of the PLB sill longerons which converts to -10.414.
It's up! No more miscalculations now.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #2062
DaveS
Addon Developer

I have hit a bit of stumbling block on fixing the hole in the wing box (bottom of bays 12/13) with the current implementation of the liner as there was no liner there. This can be seen in this photo of the PLBD Closure in the OPF for STS-125(last mission to use the liner): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl3msf1yp7...d2120.jpg?dl=0

So the implementation has to be changed to be like all the other mission-optional equipment, that only the liner is affected by the HasPLBLiner parameter and not the regular TCS blankets. We're talking about 793 faces here.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #2063
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 I have hit a bit of stumbling block on fixing the hole in the wing box (bottom of bays 12/13) with the current implementation of the liner as there was no liner there. This can be seen in this photo of the PLBD Closure in the OPF for STS-125(last mission to use the liner): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl3msf1yp7...d2120.jpg?dl=0

So the implementation has to be changed to be like all the other mission-optional equipment, that only the liner is affected by the HasPLBLiner parameter and not the regular TCS blankets. We're talking about 793 faces here.
Could those blankets in bays 12 and 13 be put in a separate group? That way we would only hide the forward ones and leave those always visible.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #2064
DaveS
Addon Developer

Found this interesting document on NTRS on the PLBDs: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9790014389.pdf

It includes a detail description of the PLBD motion mechanics with force measurements.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote:
 Could those blankets in bays 12 and 13 be put in a separate group? That way we would only hide the forward ones and leave those always visible.
That could be done. I'll look at it.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #2065
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Found this interesting document on NTRS on the PLBDs: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9790014389.pdf

It includes a detail description of the PLBD motion mechanics with force measurements.
It doesn't have what we need: torque shaft position and angle of rotation (figure 4), so the mechanism can be animated accurately. Currently those values are guessed and tuned so the PLBDs open what they should.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #2066
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 It doesn't have what we need: torque shaft position and angle of rotation (figure 4), so the mechanism can be animated accurately. Currently those values are guessed and tuned so the PLBDs open what they should.
This photo of the torque shaft for the right PLBD shows where it is located: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8auwcrla5...d1282.jpg?dl=0

Based on that photo, I would say that the coordinates for it are as follows:
Xo660
Yo95
Zo402

The push/pull-rods are approx. 11 inches long and with the doors fully closed, have angle of approx. 2.65s. When open, their angle is approx. 6.5s.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #2067
Donamy
Beta Tester

Oh God, what's going to get broken now ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #2068
GLS
Addon Developer

I've just seen the result of my work in correcting the include dependencies: I changed the SimpleGPCSystem.h file and just had to compile a few files (the GPC software stuff), instead of recompiling the full solution.
Thanked by:
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #2069
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 I've just seen the result of my work in correcting the include dependencies: I changed the SimpleGPCSystem.h file and just had to compile a few files (the GPC software stuff), instead of recompiling the full solution.
Yeah, SOLID is a great thing to remember.

S - Single-responsiblity principle
O - Open-closed principle
L - Liskov substitution principle
I - Interface segregation principle
D - Dependency Inversion Principle
Old 11-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #2070
GLS
Addon Developer

About our license "headers": should we use the same text in the libUltra files?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra