Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
auchec
Orbinaut

Hah, I was pretty sure that it wasn't a good idea but hey, at least I tried! Station looks great, Pipcard...although to me it just looks like a bunch of random stuff attached together.

I actually managed to attach a thing to another thing today...took me 45 minutes, and they were already in synched orbit, only about 50 meters apart..so I appreciate how difficult it is (for me anyway)! For the life of me, I can't figure out what the heck I did, but I now have two important looking thingies docked together so that's cool.

EDIT: I apologize in advance for sounding like a complete idiot

Last edited by auchec; 01-21-2012 at 07:25 AM.
auchec is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I still haven't learned how to rendezvous, dock, and land with the Shuttle (I could do that with the XR2). But I'll learn as I go along.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the Shuttle's RMS being too short to place modules while docked. I might need to be undocked while placing modules with the robotic arm*. I'm not sure about a URMS on the station, though.

*search Tex's video "OFSS Assembly Flight 4" and you'll see what I mean
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #33
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

That's nice looking research station you've got there. What is that "node" module docked to the Cassiopee? I recognize everything but that one.

edit -
You can mount a Universal RMS to your core module to assist with orbital construction. Well worth it IMHO.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #34
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 That's nice looking research station you've got there. What is that "node" module docked to the Cassiopee? I recognize everything but that one.

edit -
You can mount a Universal RMS to your core module to assist with orbital construction. Well worth it IMHO.
It came with Kulch's Mir-2.

Edit: I'm worried if the URMS on the station is long enough to reach around to place modules in the back.

Last edited by Pipcard; 01-21-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

You can move the URMS fore and aft (like it's on a rail). I'm pretty sure you can define how much it moves.
I mount on onto Shuttle-A when I use it for cargo runs to my stations, using it to traverse along the spine of the ship.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 You can move the URMS fore and aft (like it's on a rail). I'm pretty sure you can define how much it moves.
I mount on onto Shuttle-A when I use it for cargo runs to my stations, using it to traverse along the spine of the ship.
I was talking about reaching to the side opposite to where the URMS is on the station. Is that arm articulate enough? Maybe if it had 4 joints.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #37
Jarvitš
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by auchec View Post
 I don't mean to hijack the thread, but... I'm new and have no idea where to start building a space station, but I'd really like to give it a shot. Is is a good idea to try (I've been using Orbiter for about a week)? Where do I start?
Learn to perform orbital insertion, rendezvous, docking, deorbiting and landing with your spacecraft of choice. XR5 is pretty easy and forgiving if you're new, and a beauty to fly. Next, you'll want some station modules. XR5 has a huge payload bay and can easily haul up an entire space station at once. I suggest starting with gregburch's Space Station Building Blocks (
SSBB
). You'll also need
Universal Cargo Deck
to fit them to your XR5, and a couple of
Universal RMS
(robotic arms) to actually build your station once you get into orbit.
Jarvitš is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #38
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 I was talking about reaching to the side opposite to where the URMS is on the station. Is that arm articulate enough? Maybe if it had 4 joints.
Usually it'll be fine, sometimes the fun of the mission is to figure out how to do the assembly (without cheating), it can be a headache sometimes, but always worth it.

My current station has two URMS (named Willis and Phillis), and I use them as if the were literally "arms".
Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I want to learn the Shuttle because the payload bay isn't too big (unlike the XR5).
Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 I want to learn the Shuttle because the payload bay isn't too big (unlike the XR5).
So learn? It's not difficult to fly as long as you get the orbital insertion right. The payload is added via attachments and it can be very good fun to build up a station a module at a time.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #41
Pipcard
mikusingularity

I'm talking about things such as rendezvous with a station with weaker engines than a fantasy vessel such as an XR2, docking with a docking port on the top, and the hardest part: re-entry and landing.

I need to practice all of those before building my station. I just wanted to get my basic plan set up.

Last edited by Pipcard; 01-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #42
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 I'm talking about things such as rendezvous with a station with weaker engines than a fantasy vessel such as an XR2, docking with a docking port on the top, and the hardest part: re-entry and landing.

I need to practice all of those before building my station. I just wanted to get my basic plan set up.
The process is no different. Personally I get into orbit, make sure the plane is good then just sit below the orbital altitude of my space station until about 1,000km away then slowly raise the orbit. If done well I can dock the shuttle with 55% prop remaning.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #43
Napalm42
Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet

Quote:
 I'm talking about things such as rendezvous with a station with weaker engines than a fantasy vessel such as an XR2
You make it sound like the STS is some old geezer. There's a reason it did what it did, but I digress. You'd be surprised just how capable she is, if you fly her right, you'll never have to worry about fuel. My one concern is with that science module, you've basically terminated use of that segment. Since that module doesn't attach, you're now stuck with what i call a "dead port", in which case, if you suddenly decide you want more stuff attached, you've have to pull that module off, allocate it, attach the new one, then place it again. It can get tedious.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #44
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm42 View Post
 You make it sound like the STS is some old geezer. There's a reason it did what it did, but I digress. You'd be surprised just how capable she is, if you fly her right, you'll never have to worry about fuel. My one concern is with that science module, you've basically terminated use of that segment. Since that module doesn't attach, you're now stuck with what i call a "dead port", in which case, if you suddenly decide you want more stuff attached, you've have to pull that module off, allocate it, attach the new one, then place it again. It can get tedious.
Don't worry, this station will have only six modules (not counting the PMA, etc.), for a reason I won't disclose until later.

What do you mean by "that module doesn't attach"?

Last edited by Pipcard; 01-21-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #45
auchec
Orbinaut

Quote:
Couldn't you just dock a tug once you have a docking station (is that what it's called?) and use that every time you want to put a piece on?
auchec is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help