Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #46
rocketdued
Orbinaut
Default deltaglider's autopilot.

aha. thats another thing im doing wrong im launching early. but im just trying to get into orbit. i suppose after i get into orbit enough time i'll have that down. then the next step will be getting to iss.
rocketdued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdued View Post
 aha. thats another thing im doing wrong im launching early. but im just trying to get into orbit. i suppose after i get into orbit enough time i'll have that down. then the next step will be getting to iss.
Try to put the next step into controlling your orbit shape: Sma and Ecc (ApA and PeA are calculated from these two elements).

That is still fairly easy.

Just randomly select a few random target orbits, eg 500x500, 800x800, 400x400, 1500 x 1500. And then go there. In that order. if you can do that in your sleep, you are on the right track.

Next, try to end every mission with a successful landing. Even if you just practice, landing is also pretty hard and requires some training. Especially if you later use spacecraft with better damage simulation. (Remember what was said before: you might think it is just like in an aircraft, but it isn't)

First you can be happy by just landing anywhere in one piece. If you are lucky anywhere on land. Later you can land on the next runway or LPAD. Finally you can deorbit precisely and land smoothly on any target spaceport.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #48
rocketdued
Orbinaut

well i can try those with a differrent ship. this delta gliders doing the same thing it was doing when i first started. and i have not done any thing differrently. in the way i take off.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #49
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 well i can try those with a differrent ship. this delta gliders doing the same thing it was doing when i first started. and i have not done any thing differrently. in the way i take off.
Remember: Aerodynamic control surfaces don't work in space, the thinner the air gets, the less reaction you get. You need to enable the RCS. For controlling your rotation, put the RCS into ROT mode.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #50
rocketdued
Orbinaut

i did at 30 km just like it said. but at a certain altitude the cross in the circle starts dropping and when it dose it keeps going till it goes to 10 degrees nose down pitch and the deltaglider follows suit. so im not gaining any thing.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 i did at 30 km just like it said. but at a certain altitude the cross in the circle starts dropping and when it dose it keeps going till it goes to 10 degrees nose down pitch and the deltaglider follows suit. so im not gaining any thing.
Ok, Rocketdued, time to learn. I'm not going to give you answers any more as we've all done that and you still haven't learnt. Instead I'm going to fire questions back at you in order for you to have to do some research and learn. It'll help in the long run.

1. does not dose. Could you please use a spell checker? It is sometimes hard to understand what you are asking.

2. What is the cross in the circle? What does it mean? Find the answer to that and you'll start to understand what's going on.

3. What was your speed at 30km and your attitude just before the 'cross in the circle' dropped?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #52
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

The answer is "What is a VVI".
Old 01-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #53
rocketdued
Orbinaut

vvi=vertical velocity indicator
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 vvi=vertical velocity indicator
Wrong.

It is Velocity vector indicator in the context of HUD symbols.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #55
rocketdued
Orbinaut

you all win i give up. every things an argument here.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #56
garyw
O-F Administrator

Urwumpe was pointing out that you still think that flying in Orbiter is the same as flying in FS2004. It is not. In space it's important to know where the velocity vector is because that's the direction you are going even though your nose might be pointed somewhere else entirely.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #57
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Simply put, the cross in a circle shows you the direction you are going, relative to a body. Right now, that body is the Earth. If it starts going down, then you are not necessarily going down too. If you keep flying at pitch +30 degrees, then the cross in a circle will drop. This is normal. Just keep going: you'll only go down if it goes under 0 degrees, which will not happen if you continue to fly at 30 degrees.

Edit: Don't give up, you'll do it eventually. Try
this

Last edited by Rtyh-12; 01-08-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #58
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdued
 ok. umm at what altitude should i begin coasting to apoapsis. now i know this sounds like im still trying to get into to space but i think i can get that part. im just trying to fine tune an orbit now.
rocketdued: WATCH THIS for an example of an ascent. Furthermore, stop punishing yourself and watch my DG4 to ISS tutorial which explains, step by step, how to get to ISS.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help