Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #6406
wingnut
Donator
Default

Are the telescopes in NASSP fully functional for navigation?
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #6407
indy91
Addon Developer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
 Are the telescopes in NASSP fully functional for navigation?
The sextant and scanning telescope are fully functional, I think. You can use it for multiple navigation programs of the Apollo Guidance Computer, e.g. finding and realigning your inertial orientation by pointing the telescope to different stars.
indy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #6408
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default

Just tying up a few loose ends in the DG virtual cockpit. Notice the new gimbal and hover attitude functions. The gimbal "auto" function now follows the manual user input to provide pitch, yaw and roll moments by gimballing the main engines accordingly. I think I got the idea from a suggestion by Artlav to make the gimbals more useful
It's now possible to have some attitude control when main engines are engaged even without RCS or airfoils enabled (although the roll moment is a bit feeble since the two engines are mounted so close together).

New is also the hover attitude control. Switching this to "auto" or "manual" modulates the three hover engines to achieve a given target pitch or roll angle taken by interpreting the user input. This is useful for translating the DG over a landing pad, since the pitch and roll angles translate into longitudinal and lateral accelerations (in the absence of an atmosphere). Only caveat is that this mode only works if the hover thrusters are not set too close to zero or max thrust. The modulation is constrained to maintain the total linear thrust, so if the thrusters are too close to either limit, there is no margin for modulation.

Next to the hover attitude controls, there is the hover hold altitude function. Currently this is just the standard built-in method, but I hope to extend it to (i) actually display the target altitude (ii) allow to modify the hold altitude manually (iii) switch between hold altitude and hold vertical velocity. This should turn soft landings at Brighton Beach into child's play.

And yes, there are now interior design options for panel colours and mood lighting.

Next beta will include all this, but may be a little longer still, since progress is slow. The Matlab script generating this cockpit has now grown to a cool 6000 lines and it's getting messy ...
Attached Thumbnails
dg_cockpit1.jpg   dg_cockpit2.jpg   dg_cockpit3.jpg   dg_cockpit4.jpg   dg_cockpit5.jpg  

dg_cockpit6.jpg  
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 AM   #6409
Felix24
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 And yes, there are now interior design options for panel colours and mood lighting.
Looks nice!

I'm working on cockpit lights for the D3D9 client, and I'm wondering what kind of special textures you are using, and how you are rendering things.

Some screenshots of the in-progress Atlantis flight deck at night:

Felix24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 AM   #6410
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix24 View Post
 Looks nice!

I'm working on cockpit lights for the D3D9 client, and I'm wondering what kind of special textures you are using, and how you are rendering things.

Some screenshots of the in-progress Atlantis flight deck at night:
Impressive!

My panel textures consist of just a generic noise texture for the surface structure, so they can be swapped out (or set up with different material properties) without effort. The labels and shadows are separate alpha-blended textures rendered on top of the panel background. The labels are rendered with standard diffuse material during daytime, and with emissive material and additive flag set when instrument illumination is switched on.

I actually introduced a new user flag bit for mesh groups to "bypass texture RGB values during render", in other words, only use the alpha channel from the texture, and for RGB colour use the material values only. This allows me to add shadows to the labels for daylight rendering, but ignoring those for the illuminated mode. Hopefully this will be easy to propagate to the D3D9 client.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #6411
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix24 View Post
 Looks nice!

I'm working on cockpit lights for the D3D9 client, and I'm wondering what kind of special textures you are using, and how you are rendering things.

Some screenshots of the in-progress Atlantis flight deck at night:
That looks really great. I wasn't aware of you were working something like that. You should be able to sent a request to join the project from CodePlex site or is the work available from some place else ?
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #6412
Donamy
Beta Tester


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix24 View Post
 Looks nice!

I'm working on cockpit lights for the D3D9 client, and I'm wondering what kind of special textures you are using, and how you are rendering things.

Some screenshots of the in-progress Atlantis flight deck at night:

{image} {image}
How would you do transition from night to day, other textures ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #6413
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot
 
Astro SG Wise's Avatar
Default


View image in gallery

Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle with the Mars Transfer Vehicle (Exploration Mission - 3)
Astro SG Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #6414
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 I actually introduced a new user flag bit for mesh groups to "bypass texture RGB values during render", in other words, only use the alpha channel from the texture, and for RGB colour use the material values only. This allows me to add shadows to the labels for daylight rendering, but ignoring those for the illuminated mode. Hopefully this will be easy to propagate to the D3D9 client.
That should be easy to apply. No problem.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #6415
jedidia
shoemaker without legs
 
jedidia's Avatar
Default

Quote:
The Matlab script generating this cockpit has now grown to a cool 6000 lines and it's getting messy ...
Talk about a code first approach
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #6416
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Talk about a code first approach
That's what happens when a coder tries his hands on 3D artistry. On the plus side, my script automatically spits out relevant animation parameters (rotation axes, active mouse areas, etc.) in a header file that is #included in the Deltaglider code, so if I move a button around, I don't actually have to change anything in the code, just recompile.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #6417
francisdrake
Addon Developer
Default


A habitat for long duration, deep space missions

From right to left, this stack consists of an SLS upper stage as the kick stage, the Orion spacecraft, an ISS-derived hab, two Multi-Mission Space Exploration Vehicles to explore an asteroid (one would be sufficient, the other is needed for counter-balance) and a solar-electric propulsion module.
Based on a 2012 NASA paper.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #6418
IronRain
Moderator
 
IronRain's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 {image}
A habitat for long duration, deep space missions

From right to left, this stack consists of an SLS upper stage as the kick stage, the Orion spacecraft, an ISS-derived hab, two Multi-Mission Space Exploration Vehicles to explore an asteroid (one would be sufficient, the other is needed for counter-balance) and a solar-electric propulsion module.
Based on a 2012 NASA paper.
Very cool!
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #6419
ISProgram
SketchUp Orbinaut
 
ISProgram's Avatar
Default

Whoa.
ISProgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #6420
Astro SG Wise
Future Orion MPCV Pilot
 
Astro SG Wise's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 {image}
A habitat for long duration, deep space missions

From right to left, this stack consists of an SLS upper stage as the kick stage, the Orion spacecraft, an ISS-derived hab, two Multi-Mission Space Exploration Vehicles to explore an asteroid (one would be sufficient, the other is needed for counter-balance) and a solar-electric propulsion module.
Based on a 2012 NASA paper.
Where did you get that "ISS Derived Hab module"? Good design, by the way.
Astro SG Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.