Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post

1. Rostering/scheduling etc (whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing)
  2. Zip, nil, nada, nothing.
  3. Lack of motivation and mid-term goals.
  4. yes/no/don't know - with me, who knows when I'll land in hospital next!
Whilst I don't do much in orbiter - I feel that the project could benefit from a "mascot" i.e. someone to keep the motivation going and keep everyone sane (ish).
Good luck with that!

"Whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing"

Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Can I do the mission patches as well? (it's relevant as I want it to be a part of my role in this project)

If so, people can PM me about the details of their patch. It's like Eli13.

I love mission patches.

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #33
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 Can I do the mission patches as well? (it's relevant as I want it to be a part of my role in this project)

If so, people can PM me about the details of their patch. It's like Eli13.
What missions? When did I put the mission list up? That's right. I never did.

This thread is for ROLL CALL ONLY.

We are NOT going to get ahead of things and start working on patches for missions that haven't even been created yet.

So. Roll Call only please. Missions later. Patches a distant third. Very distant.

Let me explain why - This thread should concetrate on one thing only. If it doesn't it'll get sidetracked and before long the entire OFMM will enter a discussion/development/mission patch hell from which it will never recover. I'm happy to arrange everything but to do that I'm going to ensure that threads don't get sidetracked and rerailed. This might sound harsh but if I don't we'll end up with a comittee of discussions rather than a solid set of missions.

Thank you.

Last edited by garyw; 12-02-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 What missions? When did I put the mission list up? That's right. I never did.

This thread is for ROLL CALL ONLY.

We are NOT going to get ahead of things and start working on patches for missions that haven't even been created yet.

So. Roll Call only please. Missions later. Patches a distant third. Very distant.

Let me explain why - This thread should concetrate on one thing only. If it doesn't it'll get sidetracked and before long the entire OFMM will enter a discussion/development/mission patch hell from which it will never recover. I'm happy to arrange everything but to do that I'm going to ensure that threads don't get sidetracked and rerailed. This might sound harsh but if I don't we'll end up with a comittee of discussions rather than a solid set of missions.

Thank you.
I'm sorry. I just wanted to add something to my future role in the project (I thought that's what this roll call was about, to determine who's going to work on the project and what role they want in OFMM). I understand that there are no missions yet, and I don't need to make a mission patch before each mission is launched (to avoid "discussion/development/mission patch hell").

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Also, IMHO, Patches don't fly missions. I see little against having suddenly patches when we have missions, but missions must be first. (I wouldn't rant about having a mission then).

I would suggest only one kind of add-on making, if it can be done in a matter of less than 14 days: Have special payloads that can be transported by UCGO or for larger things, by a stock Shuttle-A.

But I don't feel like we need much there. Maybe a weather station would be a great payload for some missions. The existing payloads should do well for a first run.

And please: No XR-5. We would be done in a single mission then.

As additional roll call from my side: I can offer assistance for OrbiterWiki documentation. Maybe I can tell tomorrow, when I will have Internet again, but from Sunday on, I will be most offline for a short time.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #36
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Also, IMHO, Patches don't fly missions. I see little against having suddenly patches when we have missions, but missions must be first.
Yes and they will be. To be honest I don't much care for patches. If people want a patch then thats fine. This is about missions to Mars, not about patches.

Quote:
 I would suggest only one kind of add-on making, if it can be done in a matter of less than 14 days: Have special payloads that can be transported by UCGO or for larger things, by a stock Shuttle-A.
As I said above, if is on OH it's in scope for the missions (which I only have in draft and might post next week). No single mission will wait for a development of something though. That way is a sure way into development hell.

Quote:
 But I don't feel like we need much there. Maybe a weather station would be a great payload for some missions. The existing payloads should do well for a first run.
Maybe it would. If someone wants to add one to Orbit Hangar then it can be used for a mission but I don't want to put the whole lot on hold for a mesh that might never be finished and at best will be used by a UMMU for as long as it takes to press 'j' (or 'k').

Quote:
 And please: No XR-5. We would be done in a single mission then.
Would we? That's hard to say without knowing several things:

1. The missions (How, why, when).
2. The mode of operations (What methods are we using to get to mars).
3. The method of Mars visit (ISRU, Quick Sortie, long term).

I really didn't want to go into discussions over those three as I was planning on seperate threads for them. My idea was to have one week on Roll Call, One week on mission discussions, one week on vehicle discussions then fly the missions but I see that no matter how many times I try to keep to that plan people want to get ahead and start doing things now.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
Kveldulf
Orbinaut

To bring things back on topic...

Quote:
 1. What role you would like in OFMM (planning, meshing, flying a mission, etc)
2. What experience you have flying in LEO, to Mars, etc.
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
4. Can you commit to something that will go on for several months?
1. Whatever you think I would be able to help with. I can't mesh or anything, but I'm more than willing to fly or help with the planning.

2. Been doing stuff in LEO for years, been all over the solar system with IMFD. Previously an OFSS 1 pilot.

3. More than anything, my personal life may shift my availability to odd hours. I'll still be able to fly and plan missions, but between both jobs, my son, and other assorted goings on, I may not be able to even get to my computer until 11 PM or later CST (05:00 UTC).

4. Of course. Even with odd availability, I'll still be able to dedicate some time to OFMM for the duration.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #38
Bonanza123d
Time Lord from Gallifrey

I think it would be great to make the first space station in mars orbit. Ship supplies to mars and then assemble launchers to specifically launch from a station on mars surface.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #39
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza123d View Post
 I think it would be great to make the first space station in mars orbit. Ship supplies to mars and then assemble launchers to specifically launch from a station on mars surface.
As garyw has told me, this thread is for roll call only. The mission planning comes later.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #40
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Well, you can haul enough material with a single XR-5, to assemble three or four Mars bases. It is no challenge then. The Shuttle-A could land about 120 tons of cargo on Mars, that is still a lot, but would not mean that the number of missions gets too low.

I know that there can be factors for still having more flights. But how much stuff do you want to leave on Mars and how much time should then be spend for assembly on the ground? Not all players will like playing UMMU chess.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #41
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
 Well, you can haul enough material with a single XR-5, to assemble three or four Mars bases. It is no challenge then. The Shuttle-A could land about 120 tons of cargo on Mars, that is still a lot, but would not mean that the number of missions gets too low.

I know that there can be factors for still having more flights. But how much stuff do you want to leave on Mars and how much time should then be spend for assembly on the ground? Not all players will like playing UMMU chess.
Quote:

I really didn't want to go into discussions over those three as I was planning on seperate threads for them. My idea was to have one week on Roll Call, One week on mission discussions, one week on vehicle discussions then fly the missions but I see that no matter how many times I try to keep to that plan people want to get ahead and start doing things now.
Can we please get back to roll call?

Last edited by Pipcard; 12-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #42
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza123d View Post
That can be discussed when I put the mission list up. Right now I think that a Mars space station is not going to happen.

Quote:
Yup. That's quite true.

Quote:
Yup, also true but not all the missions will be to Mars. Some will be to the moon, ISS and so on. I already have half the missions worked out along with a few other side 'missions' which I don't want to post yet until I've worked outsome of the details hence doing the roll call first to find out what people do want to do and what they don't want to do.

Mission discussions will be in a thread I'll post next week.
Thanked by:
Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #43
Solar424
Orbinaut

1. I would like to fly a mission, of any sort.
2. I am very good at flying into LEO, and to Mars.
3. Probably the fact that sometimes Orbiter crashes on me and will revert all my progress.
4. Yes.
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #44
Cras
Spring of Life!

1. I would love to help out the planning and design of the missions. Dont have really any skill in terms of meshing or coding.
2. If need be, I can fly missions, but would rather leave that up to those that only want to fly missions, but I can do just about everything in LEO, even with realistic vehicles such as the Shuttle, and I can fly and land on Mars. I use IMFD as my primary Interplanetary navigation system.
3. Time is always hard for me to judge as my schedule is not regular, but for the forseeable future, I should be able to help out with this project
4. Yes
Thanked by:
Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #45
BusDriver
Orbinaut

Just posting what I already sent to Garyw in a PM.

Quote:
1. What role you would like in OFMM (planning, meshing, flying a mission, etc)
Flying... only thing I'm good at now.

2. What experience you have flying in LEO, to Mars, etc.
LEO a lot, haven't done any flying to Mars yet.

4. Can you commit to something that will go on for several months?
Affirm.
Thanked by:
Closed Thread

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM