Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #31
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 Now that I think about it, the Azure doesn't look like it should weight 21 tonnes... 6-7 tonnes maximum based on its size. If it were electric-powered it would need to be lightweight. ANyway, it's a bust, so onwards and upwards.
I agree there, just quickly looking through the config's, there doesn't seem to be a place to adjust the mass. I wonder how it figures the weight when its not given in a cfg?

Quote:
 Why aren't we straying far from the base, exactly? I'm sure there would be interesting geological features to explore, especially if we were landing near a massive geological feature like Valles Marineris or Olympus Mons. Remember, this isn't Apollo, a quick hop there with a tiny ship and a short visit. This is a months-long trip and a year-long operation. There needs to be something to do there, or else it will be a total waste of money.
The thing is, if you put a UMMU who is limited to 2hrs of O2, onto a non-pressurized rover you have to get back before O2 runs out. Besides, the UCGO cars willnot run with time accel on. So driving a hour out is a real hour. Not sure about you but I would rather not be just watching the ground move for a hour just to get somewhere. Especially when you can hop skip around in an atmospheric vessel.

Speaking of which, if our rover is electric/pressurized/ has O2, would it be really difficult to simulate needing to recharge/reload O2?

Quote:
 Also, the mission has to stay interesting to be worthwhile to the pilots. Hangin' out in a big pod for 18 months analysing the same old rocks doesn't seem like a very interesting project. If the OFMM users are going to keep interest in it, a change of scenery once in a while would at least serve to alleviate some boredom.
That's what the sub-orbital exploration will be doing, but if you want to change scenery for the whole hab, I suppose we could re-locate the base once or twice. Though would be a massive wast of time if this was for real. Better would be to have a 'main' base and a small little expedition crew (inflatable habs?) that would only temporarily stay out in the 'field.' That would make more sense.

Quote:
 Speaking of scenery, so far Orbiter's groundside scenery consists entirely of a large flat brown plane on which you project a shadow. I assume meshes can be made of the landing area? (there's already one of Olympus Mons somewhere out there, I think).
Trick is: how do you get the UMMU+cars+vehicles to land on that mesh
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #32
Dambuster
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 Trick is: how do you get the UMMU+cars+vehicles to land on that mesh
I know one of Artlav's amazing creations is capable of doing this, at least for UCGO.
Dambuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post
 I know one of Artlav's amazing creations is capable of doing this, at least for UCGO.
I see OVP, though I haven't downloaded it yet (downloading now). Does it create mountains and whatever and if it does, does it support UMMU's walking on it?

-A while back I though we where against using this because of Urwumpe's old computer

Orulex from Artlav last I knew did not exactly work with UMMU. Though this could have changed within the past few months.

New Info:

This could be a bug but UCGO cars seems to not have a different weight per car, that is they all have 211.2kn or about 21,500 kg. It is not dependent on Orbiter version. (first pic 2010, second 2006) Even the lunar rover is 21 tonnes...

Can someone confirm this.

You see a number larger than 211.2kn because that car has cargo on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	4981

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	4982

so.. I think instead of developing our own vehicles with the correct weight, we can use this SVTU (Small vehicle Transportation Unit) that I am almost finished with to transport the vessel with the correct weight, and when landed we will deploy and leave the vehicles there. This way, we can use the Azure, lunar(mars) rover, (electric) forklift for our cargo transporting operations.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #34
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
 -A while back I though we where against using this because of Urwumpe's old computer
Thats the new iMac, isn't it?
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #35
Voyager
Orbinaut

Have we decided on where we will establish Prometheus (aka the base on Mars where we will be landing.)? If not, I would advise somewhere either near the poles or near Mount Olympus.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #36
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Thats the new iMac, isn't it?
Nope the new iMac looks like this

How about this old IBM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
 Have we decided on where we will establish Prometheus (aka the base on Mars where we will be landing.)? If not, I would advise somewhere either near the poles or near Mount Olympus.
Not exactly

If we land somewhere, its not going to be at the poles, but a little closer to the equator. Somewhere between 25N and 25S

I tried OglaClient Beta 10041 it doesn't work for landing detection. Might be kind of disconcerting if you are landing underground, or land above ground.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #37
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I will be working on finding valid candidates for landing spots in the near future, once we decide what fuel we are using and, subsequently, what material we will be mining for fuel generation. Our landing site must have large amounts of this material at or around it, so we can set up fuel stations. I do think we decided that it would not be near Olympus Mons because of the already present Olympus Base. It is going to be somewhere near the equator as already stated.
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #38
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
 The thing is, if you put a UMMU who is limited to 2hrs of O2, onto a non-pressurized rover you have to get back before O2 runs out. Besides, the UCGO cars willnot run with time accel on. So driving a hour out is a real hour. Not sure about you but I would rather not be just watching the ground move for a hour just to get somewhere. Especially when you can hop skip around in an atmospheric vessel.

Speaking of which, if our rover is electric/pressurized/ has O2, would it be really difficult to simulate needing to recharge/reload O2?
Good points. Also, since this is Orbiter and not a driving sim, suborbital hops seem like a more logical answer anyway. (Durrr)
If the electricity and O2 were just lumped together, then the default fuel tank could be used for both. Or...do UCGO cars simulate fuel? I've only just started using them yesterday...
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #39
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 Or...do UCGO cars simulate fuel? I've only just started using them yesterday...
No not yet but it might be possible to write our own rover that doubles as a UCGO car. It might take a bit of work for that to happen though.

First we would have to ask if we want to simulate fuel/electricity/O2 consumption, if so then we can worry about programming it later.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #40
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

If we were to, I think fuel or electricity should be ideal, as both can be produced relatively easily. Perhaps it could run on the same fuel as the stack, or at least a fuel with similar components. If we will be mining fuel for that, we may as well divert a bit and use it for the rovers.
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #41
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballs619 View Post
 If we were to, I think fuel or electricity should be ideal, as both can be produced relatively easily. Perhaps it could run on the same fuel as the stack, or at least a fuel with similar components. If we will be mining fuel for that, we may as well divert a bit and use it for the rovers.
An internal combustion engine with LOX/LH2 as fuel? or wait, fuel cells?

Electricity will be in abundance because of the nuclear power plant. I guess its a matter of which is more reliable for its weight.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #42
Dambuster
Orbinaut

Just found this:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16
doesn't look quite right, but hey.
Dambuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #43
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post
 Just found this:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16
doesn't look quite right, but hey.
I don't know...I think the drawbacks are too numerous and crippling to counter the graphical benefit of OGLA.
Besiades, OGLA doesn't work for a lot of people. For me, I get awful frame rates, and almost all of the features will not work. In other words, it's way too unstable.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #44
Bj
Donator

Quote:
 I don't know...I think the drawbacks are too numerous and crippling to counter the graphical benefit of OGLA.
Besiades, OGLA doesn't work for a lot of people. For me, I get awful frame rates, and almost all of the features will not work. In other words, it's way too unstable.

I have to agree, OGLA looks really nice with the terrain but no air inside bases seems to be a really bad drawback

Besides we have to leave lower end computers in mind.

Maybe 'above ground level' mesh that creates craters. Still would be walk through...
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
 I have to agree, OGLA looks really nice with the terrain but no air inside bases seems to be a really bad drawback

Besides we have to leave lower end computers in mind.

Maybe 'above ground level' mesh that creates craters. Still would be walk through...
I was thinking they would be below the surface level. Just...don't step on them, or you'll defy physics.

This would be especially cool if someone went to the Valles Marineris. I just recently watched the BBC series Voyage to the Planets, and the Mars segment where they're all standing on the edge of a 7km drop was just too spectacular for me to skip mentioning here.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM