Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #826
Eccentrus
Geekernaut
 
Eccentrus's Avatar
Default

wow, beautiful, hell if they make space hotels looks like that I'm going to be very interested
Eccentrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #827
Screamer7
Orbinaut
 
Screamer7's Avatar
Default

I did not realize how big it is.
I only get the true scale with the astronauts inside the Dragon.
From outside it doesn't look that big.

Last edited by Screamer7; 05-28-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Screamer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #828
N_Molson
Addon Developer
 
N_Molson's Avatar

Default

It has to be if you want to put 6 astronauts inside.

Manned versions will look more cramped, there the seats are not installed, nor the crew interface, life support equipement, suits, crew supplies, etc, etc...
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #829
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Default

There is a picture of people filling up the SpaceX DragonRider mockup;



Of course, this is without suits, without extra hardware, etc that would fill up the cabin. But perhaps it is not as cramped as one might think (though I use the term 'cramped' in relation to other space capsules).

Dragon's size is demonstrated pretty well in images next to humans;



'Up to seven people' does not mean "you have to carry seven people". Crew flights to the ISS may carry fewer passengers- on the order of 3-4. At that crew complement, the relative spaciousness of Dragon could dramatically increase.

Last edited by T.Neo; 05-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #830
N_Molson
Addon Developer
 
N_Molson's Avatar

Default

I think they will fill it up as much as possible though. It would make little sense to launch an half-empty capsule.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #831
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer
 
PhantomCruiser's Avatar

Default

I think I read on the SpaceX site that the Dragon is supposed to be modular and they could arrange 3 crew + cargo, or 7 crew little bit of cargo, 2 crew and lots more cargo... Something like that.

And I thought the seats (maybe some, not all), would fold away and be stored, making for a bit more elbow room. Even so, 7 people are really going to have to like each other in order to hang around in the capsule for the ride uphill.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #832
Eccentrus
Geekernaut
 
Eccentrus's Avatar
Default

there's still no business class going upwards right?
Eccentrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #833
NovaSilisko
The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
 
NovaSilisko's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrus View Post
 there's still no business class going upwards right?
Not yet, anyway
NovaSilisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #834
N_Molson
Addon Developer
 
N_Molson's Avatar

Default

Quote:
I think I read on the SpaceX site that the Dragon is supposed to be modular and they could arrange 3 crew + cargo, or 7 crew little bit of cargo, 2 crew and lots more cargo... Something like that.
Yes, that would make sense. Sending 7 people to the ISS isn't going to be always useful. 3-4 astronauts + a complement of cargo seems a good balance.
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #835
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja
 
orb's Avatar

Default

NASASpaceflight: Canada’s Dextre meets SpaceX’s Dragon to demo CRS operations:
Quote:
With Dragon now installed and ingressed on the International Space Station (ISS), Canada’s Dextre robot took an opportunity to greet the new spacecraft on Sunday. The SPDM (Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator) was translated to the SpaceX vehicle to practise the removal of cargo from the trunk, a key element of future Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) missions.

{...}
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #836
Ripley
Tutorial translator
 
Ripley's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 ...Unlike ESA’s Automated Transfer Vehicle or Russian Soyuz and Progress ferries, Dragon is not designed to dock automatically with the Station. It relies on astronauts using the long arm to grab the spacecraft and move it safely into position for temporary berthing to one of the Station ports...
DOH!
Maybe I didn't follow Dragon's birth as I ought to. I thought that grabbing it with the Canadarm was a kind of precaution and was done for safety reasons...
Something like...ok little baby, now that you've come this close, let me handle the rest...maybe next time is your turn.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #837
Ghostrider
Donator
 
Ghostrider's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrus View Post
 there's still no business class going upwards right?
No, but there will be an economy class: they'll ride wearing spacesuits, strapped to the hull. Barrels o'fun on re-entry...
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #838
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer
 
Zatnikitelman's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 DOH!
Maybe I didn't follow Dragon's birth as I ought to. I thought that grabbing it with the Canadarm was a kind of precaution and was done for safety reasons...
Something like...ok little baby, now that you've come this close, let me handle the rest...maybe next time is your turn.
It's done for more than safety reasons. The large CBM ports that the Dragon cargo version uses are not designed for any relative velocity between vehicles as docking ports like APAS, or the Russian probe and drogue are. I believe however the plan is still for the Dragon crew version to have fully automatic docking all the way in and will use the NASA Docking System (Low Impact Docking System) so the arm shouldn't need to grapple the vehicle on every docking.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #839
anemazoso
Addon Developer
 
anemazoso's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
 It's done for more than safety reasons. The large CBM ports that the Dragon cargo version uses are not designed for any relative velocity between vehicles as docking ports like APAS, or the Russian probe and drogue are. I believe however the plan is still for the Dragon crew version to have fully automatic docking all the way in and will use the NASA Docking System (Low Impact Docking System) so the arm shouldn't need to grapple the vehicle on every docking.
Thats the only reason. Dragon is fully capable of the fine manuvering required for docking. This the fact that the cargo variant uses the cargo hatch like MPLM and HTV. ATV has the russian docking port. My understanding is that NASA wanted the cargo port for the cargo missions because its a larger opening.
anemazoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #840
C3PO
Donator
 
C3PO's Avatar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemazoso View Post
 Thats the only reason. Dragon is fully capable of the fine manuvering required for docking. This the fact that the cargo variant uses the cargo hatch like MPLM and HTV. ATV has the russian docking port. My understanding is that NASA wanted the cargo port for the cargo missions because its a larger opening.
AFAIK the manned Dragons will have to use LIDS, in case they need to leave in a hurry.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.