Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
Pyromaniac605
Toast! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Are you digging into sand or soil?
I don't think so, it definitely looks grey.

Edit: Okay, it's Sandy Loam and by the looks of it everything in the area is made of it.
Pyromaniac605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #32
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac605 View Post
 I don't think so, it definitely looks grey.

Edit: Okay, it's Sandy Loam and by the looks of it everything in the area is made of it.
Then dig deeper
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #33
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

dig down a couple of Z levels (don't forget stairs) and you should start running into stone, and much more besides.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #34
Pyromaniac605

I've found some gypsum which is being stored in my stone stockpiles, so can I use that for the same purposes?

Edit: What's an easy way to melt ice? I need to get some mud because my farm isn't doing anything. :\

Last edited by Pyromaniac605; 11-05-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #35
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
 I've found some gypsum which is being stored in my stone stockpiles, so can I use that for the same purposes?

Edit: What's an easy way to melt ice? I need to get some mud because my farm isn't doing anything. :\
Build your farm on the sandy loam... and also remember selecting a crop for it
Thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #36
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

check your farm is actually set up to DO something, because they aren't by default.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
Pyromaniac605

Now some migrants have arrived and the game forcibly moved my view and now I can't seem to get my right side window back.

Edit: My view is in a different sector and I can't get back to where my fortress is...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #38
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
 Now some migrants have arrived and the game forcibly moved my view and now I can't seem to get my right side window back.

Edit: My view is in a different sector and I can't get back to where my fortress is...
Hit F1 - you can set hot keys for marking important places in your fortress.
Thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #39
Izack
Non sequitur

Recently struck a new cave, so far so good - nothing but spiders. This fortress is going much better than the last one that got annihilated within a week by alligators.

What's a good way to farm tower caps? I'd like to try and keep my fortress separated from those damn immigrants/nobles/kobolds.

Quote:

Tab cycles through viewing modes. The arrow keys move around, and < and > (shift , and .) bring you up and down z-levels. Remember what z-level your main floor is on!
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
Gumok
Orbinaut

Is this thread still alive? Is there someone else playing Dwarf Fortress? I have installed DF just now and going to LEARN. So far i can tell that the game is better and better for me and i am absolutely amazed with the world and history generator...

What do you think would be the best thing to add into the next update (if it will be possible)?
I would like to see a possibility to make a whole new state in the world with multiple fortresses and it's own infrastructure.
Gumok is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #41
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumok View Post
 What do you think would be the best thing to add into the next update (if it will be possible)?
I want the dwarven economy back!
Thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Quote:
This is Dwarf Fortress. ANYTHING is possible

I second Urwumpe's request, it would be great to have the economy back. I've never played with it, but it certainly sounds very interesting.
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #43
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtyh-12 View Post
 This is Dwarf Fortress. ANYTHING is possible
Orbital platforms and rockets please.
Big space lava gun would have been fun.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #44
Izack
Non sequitur

There are still a few Orbinauts playing. The other day I lost a fortress of 76 to the most commonly forgotten beast: Dwarven Stupidity. The entire population ended up attempting to swim up an artificial waterfall because for some reason no one wanted to take the perfectly safe and dry route ten paces to the north. By the time I discovered the waves of drowning and head-bashing deaths it was already too late for traffic designations to change anything: the remaining dwarves had already entered a mad scramble to reclaim the +Yak Cow Leather Pants+ the Suicide Brigade had left behind.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #45
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

my current fortress is capital of the civilization, running pretty well, but the King is dead... the vampire king died ignoring the Yellow Alert (all dwarfs inside, all gates closed) gathering too many goblin arrows to survive. His son is miner, but currently imprisoned for 1000 days and awaiting 200 Hammer strikes for 10 murders attributed to him.

There are a few minor annoying bugs still, like traps blocking wagons, but that is tolerable.

I have lots of steel and good smiths in my fortress, some weapon artifacts and some legendary dwarfs already. Dwarf stupidity did not yet take over. The military training program runs great, but I need to reorganize, one melee squad will be reserved for mothers with babys - I had to kill a good hammerdwarf because she lost her baby while fighting with it and went berserk shortly after.

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge