Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #46
Juanelm
Donator

Completed the flight with 1989 seconds. I only dumped part of the fuel before flight, everything else was as the "Takeoff to ISS" scenario has it. I sustained wing damage and lost the elevons; had to land using RCS!

Agentgonzo that flight sounds just about perfect. It is a very good idea to use the atmosphere to keep altitude down while still being able to accelerate to much higher speeds. In my flight I kept gaining altitude and the reentry was very vertical, I had to use the remaining fuel with hover engines to slow down the descent. It would be nice if the XR-2's Attitude hold autopilod could hold the craft inverted.
Juanelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 Might I also note (this was pointed out to me in PM) that the XR2's basic flight characteristics (ISP, etc) should NOT be user altered for the run? I was recommend adding this to the rules, as it'll really simplify problems later. That is to say, if you have to mod a scn or cfg file to change the XR2, don't.
Would this be reasonable, at least for the 'Pro' class?
Very good points that I agree with. I think fuel management should be allowed, as should having only 2 crew. But I don't think the actually specs of the vessel should be altered.
I think the combination of these three things will offer enough scope for customization, yet keep all racers within the same envelope.
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #48
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 Just completed another run, new personal best, 1515 seconds. I still don't see how 1230 is even possible, but hey.
I've just done another run, beating 20 minutes this time. 1191s. Playback is on orbit-hangar if you want to take a look:
KSC to Ascension Island in 20 minutes

No modifications were done to the craft. The standard XR2 launch to ISS scenario was selected, payload, passengers, fuel and LOX dumped before launch.

I may be able to shave up to a minute off this time by braking later and lower and having a steeper descent onto ASC. I could probably raise the cruise speed to 11.75km/s or possibly 12km/s, but that will be really pushing it.

Last edited by agentgonzo; 12-11-2008 at 02:26 PM.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #49
MeDiCS
Donator

YAY! Just did it!
After numerous disintegrated XR2s, I was finally able to land on WI. 34:53 minutes. Now I need to practice more...
MeDiCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #50
Arrowstar
Probenaut

After watching that playback, I think I have a much better idea of how to do this flight. It seems like he got just about everything right, I didn't see much that could be improved. Nice work, agentgonzo! I'm going to see if I can't recreate your run tonight.
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #51
dougkeenan
Donator

Sweet! Thanks for the playback!
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #52
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Great stuff Agentgonzo! you've really stirred things up now... and prematurely put yourself at the top of the as-yet-unreleased official league table. grats!
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #53
Epsilon
Interplanetary Road Pizza

I actually learned something important from AgentGonzo's playback - I didn't know you could get 1MN out of the SCRAMs. o.o

Now that I've seen it, I get how it works, but the knowledge is the important part. I also learned that the hull can heat a lot more than I've been heating it, which means I've been doing some weaksauce re-entries. *grin*

Funny thing is, just before seeing AG's playback, I did a run in 1513s - but I had a pair of aux fuel tanks to work wth as well. >_>

Incidentally, that's another thing to rule on... ^_^

Of course, you're trading off weight for fuel, and it makes it a bit touchy to get off the ground, but you're reentering a hell of a lot lighter than you took off too, and with more fuel for that deorbit burn.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #54
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Well, just did it in 1280, definitely a new best time for me. It's no 1231 seconds, but it's close!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #55
James.Denholm
Addon ponderer

Time to study agentgonzo's racing technique, and get in on this... I have a feeling I'd be riding my quick saves, though.
James.Denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #56
Juanelm
Donator

Agentgonzo I'm thinking how it would be possible to optimize even more that path you took. I'm thinking if it would be possible to accellerate to an even higher speed, using hover thrusters to mantain altitude (just as you recommend not to do ), and use up all the propellant for acceleration, then perform all the braking with the atmosphere only. I've been trying it, and it's very, very hard, but maybe possible.
Juanelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #57
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Hehe... this is getting silly. I've now done it in under 1100s! Some of the stuff that I'm trying to pull goes way beyond insanity. Under 1000s is my ultimate goal, but I doubt very much if this is possbile. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Last edited by agentgonzo; 01-29-2009 at 11:47 AM.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #58
Arrowstar
Probenaut

What was your trick to getting your time under 1100 seconds? I mean there comes a point where you simply can't re-enter any faster or fly any faster above the atmosphere.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #59
James.Denholm
Addon ponderer

Just got around to watching the re-play, agentgonzo. I say this in the nicest way possible: You are nuts. That's the most insane flight I've ever seen!
James.Denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #60
dougkeenan
Donator

Loved the little factoid tucked in the middle too. Here I am trying to follow everything that's going on then bam that pops up.
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges