Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old
Orbinaut
Default KSC to Wideawake - "The Classic" Speed Run
by vsfx 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Having recently become interested in trying to complete this flight (I haven't yet), I thought I would start a challenge thread to get some competition going and generate some helpful discussion. This is the KSC to Wideawake 8,200 km speed run, or as I have named it: "The Classic". Post your videos, playbacks or screenshots (success or fail) with time of flight (MET) here and I will add it to the scoreboard. Optionally post a screenshot of your maximum velocity at MECO.

TOP 10 FLIGHT TIMES

#
Pilot Name
Time(mm:ss)
Max. Vel.(GS m/s)
agentgonzo(playback)
16:35
dgatsoulis
17:15
agentgonzo
19:58
blixel
20:00
tinfoilchef
22:35
vsfx
23:51
SolarLiner
26:37

General rules:
- Use the default XR2 Ravenstar, set fuel/crew/LOX/payload as you wish
- Damage simulation must be enabled
- Liftoff from the runway at KSC, MET will commence
- Land on the runway at Wideawake International, at wheel stop MET will give the flight time
- Obviously don't cheat, what's the point?

Here is blixel / David Courtney's very helpful commentated version for any beginners out there:

He has a scenario in the video description you can use, or just set up your own using the default XR2 at KSC.

I haven't been able to do this myself yet but I'm glad I uploaded the failures as David was able to point out where I was going wrong:

I've added two previous flights that I am aware of to start off the rankings.

agentgonzo's flight:

Last edited by vsfx; 11-16-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added new time for blixel
Views 28903 Comments 59
Total Comments 59

Comments

Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Great idea!

Someone call WHAP. Ascention Island is about to fill up with wreckages of dead Ravenstars.

One small correction that you were probably not aware of.
Steve's (agentgonzo's) legendary record run was 995 seconds from "wheels up" to landed at WIN. Including engine start, it was 1005 seconds (16:45).

No video of it exists, but there is a playback somewhere in O-H.

Last edited by dgatsoulis; 08-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatsoulis View Post
 No video of it exists, but there is a playback somewhere in O-H.
His playback is "broken" as at the end the XR2 will believe at a hover failure, but there is none (and you can see the Ravenstar landing anyway).
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
blixel
Donator

Quote:
 One small correction that you where probably not aware of.
Steve's (agentgonzo's) legendary record run was 995 seconds from "wheels up" to landed at WIN. Including engine start, it was 1005 seconds (16:45).
Did that include the use of an extra fuel module in the payload area?
blixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

It was a few years back, so I am not sure. IIRC the playback didn't have a fuel payload.

EDIT:
I found the
playback
in the hangar. There is no payload in the flight folder.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

BTW current versions of the XR vessels disable damage detection during playback except for crash damage, so playbacks using the current XR2 version should finish consistently now.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
blixel
Donator

Note also that you should be at least 10-20 meters off the ground before you raise the landing gear. The playback recorder won't record raising the landing gear if you press the button too soon. I learned this over a year ago, and discovered it again within the last hour while recording a playback. My playback is ruined because Orbiter thinks the gear is down the whole flight.

This is a bit more than just a cosmetic annoyance. Since the landing gear is down, the XR2 temperature readout will (correctly) display that you are overheating the air frame during the entire flight.

Last edited by blixel; 08-13-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Tommy
Orbinaut

You should be able to raise the gear "manually" during the playback by pressing the "g" key - you may need to be in Glass Cockpit mode for that to work.

Alternately, you can add the appropriate entry into the .atc file in the flight recording.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
blixel
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
 You should be able to raise the gear "manually" during the playback by pressing the "g" key - you may need to be in Glass Cockpit mode for that to work.

Alternately, you can add the appropriate entry into the .atc file in the flight recording.
I haven't been able to raise the gear in the playback from any of the 3 views. Adding the entry to the .atc sounds like a good plan though. I'll check into that.
--EDIT--

Yep - that works. Thanks Tommy.

Orbiter recorded the GEAR UP event after all ... but apparently there's some condition where it won't actually raise it. My .atc said:

Code:
23.65080059 GEAR UP
I just changed it to 24.65080059 (1 second later) and now the playback shows it raising.

Last edited by blixel; 08-14-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

The reason for the landing gear not raising on playback if raised too soon is a side-effect of how Orbiter records the ship's position, which includes altitude: during playback the ship is repositioned each frame by the Orbiter core, so playback is not 100% precise. This can cause the ship's wheels to be in contact with the ground during playback for slightly longer than they were when the flight was recorded. If the wheels are in contact with the ground the XR vessel will not allow the gear to be raised.

I can probably work around this in the next XR patch releases by disabling ground contact checks for gear-up commands if playback is active. I'll look into it.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
vsfx
Orbinaut

Quote:
 One small correction that you where probably not aware of.
I've added this to the scoreboard as a second entry for agentgonzo. 19:58 was tough enough but 16:35, that's crazy! If anyone can beat that it will be by a mere few seconds...
vsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Someone's got to beat my time. Come on folks!

Oh, and vsfx, the max speed for the 16:35 run was 15km/s (GS I think - you may need to check the playback as I don't have orbiter installed anymore)

Edit again: For those interested in the history, here (http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5727) is the original thread where we all started from. Reading through it and watching the times tumble is quite nostalgic

Last edited by agentgonzo; 08-14-2013 at 10:25 PM.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
blixel
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgonzo View Post
 Someone's got to beat my time. Come on folks
I'll be happy if I can match your 19:58 time. I'm getting close. Today I had best run to date, but still did not get wheel stop until 20:39. (Just slightly faster than my 20:53 run in January.)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
vsfx
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgonzo View Post
 Someone's got to beat my time. Come on folks!

Oh, and vsfx, the max speed for the 16:35 run was 15km/s (GS I think - you may need to check the playback as I don't have orbiter installed anymore)
On the playback you topped out at 14,990 m/s GS. I wouldn't worry about re-installing Orbiter, I don't bet on anyone beating 16:35
vsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsfx View Post
 On the playback you topped out at 14,990 m/s GS. I wouldn't worry about re-installing Orbiter, I don't bet on anyone beating 16:35
OK - must have remembered the rounded number and then misread the thread. Time for bed I think
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges

Tags
ksc, run, speed, wideawake, xr2