Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
downloaderfan
Orbinaut
Default

Hello guys,this is the first time i've taken up a challenge so i dont know how lua console works,but here is my score:
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/do...5e6b0.png.html

I dont know why the first two are so low compared to the third,maybe cuz i started them both from a saved scenario in between cuz i failed the first time i did this,however the third value seems to be valid. (Which i performed completely in one go)

Last edited by downloaderfan; 05-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.
downloaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
dgatsoulis
ele2png user
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixel View Post
 Very nice! I'd love to have seen a video of your braking burn and landing. My problem is when I get right there over the pad, I just can't think/respond fast enough to have a nice smooth landing. I need to use hover hold so that I can concentrate on getting the vessel centered over the pad. If I don't use hover hold, then I will end up concentrating so much on the vertical speed that I miss the landing pad.
Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen the edit in your post.
Unfortunately, I didn't record that one, because it was my first attempt for that day. I wasn't expecting a good score.

I've tried a couple more times and was unable to get below 2750.
I'll change my tactic on the next try; Forget about the face forward orientation and try to land it while going "backwards".

Quote:
Originally Posted by downloaderfan View Post
 I dont know why the first two are so low compared to the third,maybe cuz i started them both from a saved scenario in between cuz i failed the first time i did this,however the third value seems to be valid. (Which i performed completely in one go)
Hi downloaderfan. Wow, impressive score.

You are right about the first two scores. The challenge is set to be flown in one session, that's why it shows such a small score if you pick it up from a save.


Scoreboard on post#1 updated.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
downloaderfan
Orbinaut
Default

Thanks for the quick replies and posting this awesome challenge scenario.BTW pushed myself even furthur with the XR2:

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/do...5f7ad.jpg.html
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/do...c5919.png.html

dv wherever could be saved,was saved in the above attempt.(that is as per my definition)
downloaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
JSwift
Orbinaut
Default

I tried this briefly a while ago, lost the screencap and just found it again. It wasn't that great but I haven't had time for Orbiter lately to try to improve it so I'll post it anyway. Let's call it setting the bar low - everyone should beat this

If I remember correctly, both attempts had overshoots and one had an accidental hover over the pad for way too long before I realized it. There's lots of dV to gain there.

Good challenge Dimitris. Interesting because I don't usually try to fly with 100% fuel conservation in mind and it highlighted quite a few things I had to do differently.

JSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
Aztronut66
Orbinaut
Default

This looks like fun. Will try this the first chance I get. Here is a landing I made at Brighton Base. Would easily have cleared the crater walls I believe.
Aztronut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
dgatsoulis
ele2png user
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Have fun with the challenge. Waiting to see your score.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #37
Buck Rogers
Major Spacecadet
 
Buck Rogers's Avatar
Default

Hi all, finally got back to Orbiter, wanted something quick & dirty and was reminded of this on the forum, which I'd actually downloaded long ago! First of all thanks a lot for the great challenge, it's always good to test your skills and is perfect for improving my landing techniques. After a couple of fails; piling onto, and landing on the BB tower?I had a few successes and was a little shocked to see it would appear that I made pole position! (Deltaglider) The flight wasn't perfect, there's still a few DV's to save, and it wasn't fully manual; major respect for your (dgatsoulis) flying skills that I've seen in some videos!

Semi-automated descent & landing using:
IMFD Map -don't know a more accurate PeA readout over distance
IMFD Orbit Insert -most accurate/economical circularize burn AP?(when it works?)
Hover MFD 1.1.0 -braking guidance, attitude control, linear course correction, and final touchdown.
Came screeching in just a few meters over the crater walls and let her drop as fast as I could dare!

I welcome a revenge! and look forward to future challenges (+/other). Always appreciative of the efforts from the Orbiter Community.
P.S. please just use the one top score (it's probably only one entry per person anyway, right?) even if just for the personal pride of seeing my name amongst the famous (dgatsoulis, blixel).
P.P.S. A very big, and very belated thankyou to all on the IMS thread for the extremely warm welcome I received; the antispamfirstpostdelay threw me off track and reallife distractions did the rest, hope to get a look at that soon too!
Attached Thumbnails
lunarlandsuc2.jpg  
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #38
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.
 
Koloss's Avatar
Default

Here is my attempt:



2,599.4 Delta V used.

-> Delta Glider IV

Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #39
dgatsoulis
ele2png user
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Nice score Koloss.
You kept the gravitational losses at a minimum. Scoreboard updated.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #40
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.
 
Koloss's Avatar
Default

Nice, thank you!

Next up: XR-5... I'll try it this evening.
Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #41
dgatsoulis
ele2png user
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
 Hi all, finally got back to Orbiter, wanted something quick & dirty and was reminded of this on the forum, which I'd actually downloaded long ago! First of all thanks a lot for the great challenge, it's always good to test your skills and is perfect for improving my landing techniques. After a couple of fails; piling onto, and landing on the BB tower?I had a few successes and was a little shocked to see it would appear that I made pole position! (Deltaglider) The flight wasn't perfect, there's still a few DV's to save, and it wasn't fully manual; major respect for your (dgatsoulis) flying skills that I've seen in some videos!

Semi-automated descent & landing using:
IMFD Map -don't know a more accurate PeA readout over distance
IMFD Orbit Insert -most accurate/economical circularize burn AP?(when it works?)
Hover MFD 1.1.0 -braking guidance, attitude control, linear course correction, and final touchdown.
Came screeching in just a few meters over the crater walls and let her drop as fast as I could dare!

I welcome a revenge! and look forward to future challenges (+/other). Always appreciative of the efforts from the Orbiter Community.
P.S. please just use the one top score (it's probably only one entry per person anyway, right?) even if just for the personal pride of seeing my name amongst the famous (dgatsoulis, blixel).
P.P.S. A very big, and very belated thankyou to all on the IMS thread for the extremely warm welcome I received; the antispamfirstpostdelay threw me off track and reallife distractions did the rest, hope to get a look at that soon too!
Huh, that was funny. This post wasn't visible until after I responded to Koloss. Probably because you are a new member on the forums, so welcome!

Really nice score on the default DG.
Doesn't matter if it wasn't fully manual, APs are acceptable.
I leave it to the pilots to find out for themselves with which way they feel more comfortable and also which gives them the most satisfaction.
Even the best AP in the world cannot correct a bad approach without wasting some dV.

Scoreboard updated.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #42
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.
 
Koloss's Avatar
Default



Sh*t. As if it wasn't enough that I crashed the ship, the onboard voice says "Warning: Gear is up" into the post-crash silence.

I'm wiping my tears now and try it again

Edit: BTW dgatsoulis, who spoke that welcome message? It sounds like an American Radio commercial (I mean... I imagine an American Radio commercial sounding like that)

Last edited by Koloss; 02-11-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #43
dgatsoulis
ele2png user
 
dgatsoulis's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koloss View Post
 Edit: BTW dgatsoulis, who spoke that welcome message? It sounds like an American Radio commercial (I mean... I imagine an American Radio commercial sounding like that)
It was an online text-to-speech site. I don't have the link right now, but I think it was oddcast.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Buck Rogers
Major Spacecadet
 
Buck Rogers's Avatar
Default

Here's one for the Shuttle-A: not an easy bird to fly; run out of RCS twice! DV: 2826.5
and the DGIV DV: 2509
Thanks again, having fun, after a bit more training I might even try to back-flip an XR5 on a approach to Wideawake and land it in reverse, on the spot, in the hangar!?! Who would think of doing something like that?
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthr...&postcount=319
On second thought maybe it's not such a good idea. How long did you train for that? How do you control the thrust/hover; joystick/keyboard or some fancy cyborg implant? AP? or fully manual?
Would be very interested in the tailsitter version (remember having some close calls doing the 2001 Aries-moon trip), was it indefinitely postponed?
Attached Thumbnails
lunarlandsuc3.jpg   lunarlandsuc4.jpg  
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #45
Koloss
Weyland-Yutani Corp.
 
Koloss's Avatar
Default

Arrr, darn you, Buck Rogers! Just kidding, nice score!

dgatsoulis, you should add the Arrow Freighter to this challenge!
Koloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.