Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
Keatah
Orbinaut

Mah'scope -- ha! that's great..

Well, about the two pics below:
The cmos chip that grabbed the image was 1MP 960x1280, and then digital-zoom (what a marketing gimick!) reduced the resolution to 120x160, a factor of 8! Look! it correctly assigned grey pixels according to where the craters are..

As you can plainly see, interpolation with digital zoom does not make up for optical zoom. But little tricks like using natural noise and camera shake to reposition the image over other ccd elements you can "fill in" the pixel that was supposed to be between the other two pixels (or ccd elements). A good algorithm will generate sub-pixels based on rate and intensity change between frames or camera movement. Kinda like a microscopic parallax analyzer, but with a different goal in mind. This is different than just upscaling your image in photoshop.

By 2010 or sooner we are going to see 20Mpixel imagers, with 12-15Mpixel chips being the norm in professional cameras right now. Pocket cameras nowadays are up to 9Mpixel, with 6-7Mpixel being the sweetspot right now. I'm talking consumer-class products here now because the largest CCD array today is 84MP !! OMFG!! ..and is intended for research applications. http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3598 This has got to be able to resolve far more detail than film! I think the elements are smaller than the halide crystals! By 2x

I bet the guy who invented photography is flipp'n in his grave right about now

One of these pix is from my old trashy fone and the other from the voyager spacecraft.
Attached Thumbnails
19-04-07_2127.jpg   gpn-2002-000202.jpg  

Last edited by Keatah; 06-19-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add text
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
tblaxland
Webmaster

Default Moon-Jupiter conjunction

The near full Moon and Jupiter were in conjunction earlier tonight so I took the opportunity to give my digital compact camera a turn at some astrophotography. I didn't get any of Jupiter through the telescope (I was thwarted by a cold front carrying some high cloud). I thought I'd share the two best images I got. They are not bad for $150 camera. These are unedited except for cropping.

Here is the conjunction itself (about 2 between Moon and Jupiter) taken with the camera by itself:

And here is the moon taken through the telescope (handheld to the lens):
Attached Thumbnails
S7300804_cropped.jpg   S7300811_cropped.JPG  
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

I guess I may as well join in the fray. Here's some of my best shots, taken with an 8" LX200 classic Schmidt-Cassegrain and Canon XTi except as noted:

This one's actually a stereoimage of the moon taken over the course of a lunar cycle. Cross your eyes till the images overlap to see it in 3d.

Globular Cluster M3 taken from my slightly light polluted backyard.

Shuttle Endeavour taken with an LPI webcam on 3-25-08

The only part of February's lunar eclipse that I got the chance to see - stupid clouds!
Messierhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
astrosammy
Dash!

Cool pictures! I have to buy a new telescope!
astrosammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #20
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messierhunter View Post
 I guess I may as well join in the fray. Here's some of my best shots, taken with an 8" LX200 classic Schmidt-Cassegrain and Canon XTi except as noted:
Some nice shots there mate! They give me a little extra incentive to get out to the garage and try and build myself a camera adaptor.

I forgot to mention, my scope is a 3" Celestron Firstscope 76EQ Newtonian reflector. For those that are thinking of trying, you really can take astrophotos without spending a bomb. They won't be professional quality but they will be very satisfying nonetheless.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
astrosammy
Dash!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #22
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Nice pics sammy! What size was the telescope you used for those?

Not sure if this counts since it's not a "photo" strictly speak, but rather a video. Time lapse of Jupiter's rotation over 2 hours. Pardon the erratic brightness - dew was forming and I was desperately trying to compensate by upping the exposure. Eventually my dew heaters caught up to it, but not till the end.

http://uploadfile2.putfile.com/getfi...4221290067.wmv
Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #23
astrosammy
Dash!

I used a Skywatcher 150/1200mm EQ-3-2

Camera was a Kodak Easyshare C643
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Time to humble myself. Here's my first attempt at astrophotography, taken a little over 8 years ago when I was just starting to get serious about astronomy. I used an old Minolta SLR with black & white film and eyepiece projection on a 6" Newtonian (equatorially mounted with a clock drive). That was my second telescope, and at the time I couldn't even do a starhop to andromeda except in binoculars. These days a regular camera on a tripod could take a better picture of the moon, thanks in part to faster CCD chips and image stacking.
Attached Thumbnails
Minolta_moon1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #25
SlyCoopersButt
Orbinaut

Got a few nice shots during the event when Moon Jupiter and Venus came in close proximity of each other with my Nikon 4700. Like how well the dark side of the moon showed.

SlyCoopersButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #26
McWgogs
Addon Developer

The best picture of Venus I've ever made. 18 stacked photos.
SkyQuest XT6 telescope
Panasonic DXT-FZ8 camera
McWgogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Very nicely done! That's better than any photo of Venus I have, and done with a smaller scope without tracking to boot! Congrats!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

Best photo I've taken of the moon so far. Spent a lot of time paying attention to collimation and focus (and also scope setup and tracking, but that was for observing rather than photos of the moon that don't need the tracking).

Composite of 6 photos.
Canon 350D at prime on Celestron Ultima 2000 (8" SCT)

agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #29
Messierhunter
Orbinaut

Nicely done gonzo! The color and clarity are perfect.

-----Post Added-----

Here's an image of comet Lulin I shot yesterday. 30 minutes worth of light, 1 minute subs at ISO 1600 through my LX200.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Nice shot. I love how it's racing around the stars
RisingFury is online now   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky