Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
llarian
Orbinaut

Question Using VS Code ... not an Orbiter thread ...

Hi guys. I recently installed Anaconda3 for a bit of Python work and to familiarize myself with it. After the usual installation headaches, it also loaded in Visual Studio Code.

I know VS Code is primarily an editor and similar functions often take similar forms. My question is, do any of you use VS Code and what are your opinions of it and what advises might you give?

Thanks in advance

Editted: Any suggestions for adding Lua to VS Code?
llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

I used it at work for a quick C# project and really liked it. Especially the pretty UNIX like dev process.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I use VS Code at work for both Angular and Ruby on Rails (and did some Ember in it for a few months), and I quite like it: it's fast, lightweight, and has IntelliSense for a number of languages (check plugins for it).
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
n122vu
Addon Developer

I use it at work as well for just editing single code or config files, when I don't need full-blown Visual Studio features. My go-to editor most of the time.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
llarian
Orbinaut

Thanks. You guys are great! Well, no fears then, just the usual jitters. Best to delve right in.

And I did find and install the Lua extension. Time to learn.
llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
My question is, do any of you use VS Code and what are your opinions of it and what advises might you give?
Using it at work for pretty much all jobs that involve simple scripting where an IDE only gets in the way. There was a time I also did angular with it, and it works well enough, but then we got a license for the complete jetbrains product package, so WebStorm has taken over for that. I still prefer it to RubyMine for managing our puppet repository, though that's probably just because I never get the time to give RubyMine a real chance. I also used to do PhP with it, for the rare times I had to bother with that horrible misconception of a language...

That's really the greates strength of VS Code, I think. At the core, it really is just an editor, and there's basically no time investment needed to get going, but it also provides a lot of conveniences like folder view, source managment and integrated console that make life a lot easier when compared to other editors.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Using it at work for pretty much all jobs that involve simple scripting where an IDE only gets in the way.
Or in my case: Needed to replace a small command line tool at the customer with a version that works. No sources available, but after a bit of reverse engineering, the function was clear. And why it did not work.

A full Visual Studio installation would cost a bit of money, too much for a task that only needs to be done once per year, if at all. Also too powerful for something that only consists of two source files and a few test suites.

Visual Studio Code was absolutely well suited for the task, once you mastered the dotnet command.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
A full Visual Studio installation would cost a bit of money
Well, there's always the express edition, but yes, the thing is really too large and unwieldy for simple stuff.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Well, there's always the express edition, but yes, the thing is really too large and unwieldy for simple stuff.
It would also cause some licensing issues for a top two car manufacturer.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
It would also cause some licensing issues for a top two car manufacturer.
If it's only being used for maintaining internal software? Shouldn't that be covered by the express license?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 If it's only being used for maintaining internal software? Shouldn't that be covered by the express license?
Not sure there - that is what you should ask a lawyer there. I remember how terrible I had to explain why I am including Guice in a Java project and if that is legal.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Blake
Addon Developer

My understanding:
'Express' is now 'Community' and it is free unless you are an enterprise (there are other exceptions):

If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for: (i) open source; (ii) Visual Studio extensions; (iii) device drivers for the Windows operating system; and, (iv) education purposes as permitted above.

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) one million U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/l...rms/mlt553321/

I use the free 'Community' edition for personal work, and a paid subscription for professional work, which like Urwumpe is for one of the most well-known enterprises in the world and can afford a license or two.

For me, Code is slowly replacing Notepad++...slowly.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
n122vu
Addon Developer

Same here. We fall under the Enterprise definition of the license, and each dev has an MSDN subscription provided by the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
 For me, Code is slowly replacing Notepad++...slowly.
Same here. In fact I recently got a new laptop at work, about 2 months ago. I installed Notepad++ after migrating all my work, but I honestly don't think I've launched it yet. Everything I do these days is in VS Code or Visual Studio Pro.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help