Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old
OrbitHangar's Avatar
OrbitHangar OrbitHangar is offline
Addon Comments
Arrow Fly-By-Wire 0.9 beta
by OrbitHangar 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM

Fly-By-Wire (FBW) complements or replaces Orbiter's support for game controllers like joysticks and HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) systems like the Saitek X52 or Thrustmaster Cougar. With FBW, you can currently assign different axes on different game controllers to control main engine thrust, hover engine thrust, retro engine thrust, aileron, elevator, rudder (but not the nosewheel), elevator trim, and bot rotational and translational RCS thrusters.For details, seeFly-By-Wire EGCS at OrbiterWiki New in 0.9 new input type "combined" (combine any two joystick inputs to act as one axis) use custom function to modify joystick input presets for identity, linear, exponential function mirror function (for symmetric controls) saving and loading of custom functions new "shared" mode for main and retro engine (control both with one joystick axis) audio feedback on mode change (main/idle/retro) latest SDL library (1.2.13) included

More...
Reply With Quote
Views 11479 Comments 24
Total Comments 24

Comments

Old 09-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
OrbitHangar
Addon Comments
 
OrbitHangar's Avatar
Default Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods


Review by napes weaver
Pros: SIX STARS!!!
Review:
I've been waiting for this add-on since I found Orbiter. I use a Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro joystick. At last, I have the linear thrusters (up and down / side to side) assigned to the hat! With the previous version I couldn't run the main engine with the joystick deactivated, so using the hat for thrust control was prohibitive (my POV changed too). Excellent Excellent EXCELLENT development!!!


Review by hipotok1978
Pros: Very VERY powerful piece of software
Cons: took me about 10 minutes to learn how it works
Review:
as I said, VERY powerful piece of software. It is a bit on the complex side to use but once you get used to it, quite awesome replacement for some of the crap software that is included with most controlers. Some of the dialogs are in German so it took me a bit to translate


Review by boxx
Pros: a good idea and a necessary add-on
Cons: a few Orbiter commands only and the lack of a userguide
Review:
Only 13 Orbiter commands. I was expecting to switch among displays (F1, F2, F8) and and to control autopilots (Kill rot,...) from the Joystick buttons. Explanations on the effects of throttles are much needed (i.e. main/retro continuous throttle in combination with a button)
OrbitHangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
HAL9001
super-ninja-orbinaut
 
HAL9001's Avatar
Default

could it be possible to make a version were i can stear the features to (gear, Bays...).
Just to say that an Joystick Axe/button schould work as a button on the keyboard, while orbiter is running.
for examople to use the fire-button as killrot.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
NovaCat
Orbinaut
Default

To HAL9001.
I use joystick logitech extrime 3D pro & attack3. In the service program there are options setting of buttons.

To autor.
At use of both joysticks simultaneously, there is a conflict. It is possible to make use of one of joysticks for two modes ROT and TRANS. It is possible as to add in the program of adjustment of buttons of joysticks
NovaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Maquis
Orbinaut
Default

Wow, this addon solved all my problems! Okay, almost

Is there a way to assign same joystick for Rotation and Translation? I thought joystick will inherit the setting from Orbiter (ROT/TRS switch), so I could simply map the RCS mode to button. However it seems that all axes work independently - so in my config it makes both modes work same time. Is there a way to make same joystick (3-axes) to work on ROT and TRS, but without the above problem?
Maquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
PeterRoss
Warranty man
 
PeterRoss's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
 Wow, this addon solved all my problems! Okay, almost

Is there a way to assign same joystick for Rotation and Translation? I thought joystick will inherit the setting from Orbiter (ROT/TRS switch), so I could simply map the RCS mode to button. However it seems that all axes work independently - so in my config it makes both modes work same time. Is there a way to make same joystick (3-axes) to work on ROT and TRS, but without the above problem?
Just don't use Fly-By-Wire to assign joystick axes for rotation/translation/aerial surfaces at all and use the Orbiter launchpad joystick setup instead. You could assign any other function using Fly-By-Wire.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Maquis
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoss View Post
 Just don't use Fly-By-Wire to assign joystick axes for rotation/translation/aerial surfaces at all and use the Orbiter launchpad joystick setup instead. You could assign any other function using Fly-By-Wire.
That's okay, I think I solved it.

Attached hover engine to throttle through Fly-By-Wire and the rest through Autohotkey script. I wonder if not change it all for Autohotkey (very flexible system) to control all engines (hover,main, retro) through one throttle. It has it setbacks, but should work fine. We'll see.

I decided to code it because I couldn't figure out how to force third translation axis to work (forward-outward movement).

Last edited by Maquis; 01-18-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Maquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
PeterRoss
Warranty man
 
PeterRoss's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
 I decided to code it because I couldn't figure out how to force third translation axis to work (forward-outward movement).
I'm using two joystick keys for that.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Maquis
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoss View Post
 I'm using two joystick keys for that.
Yeah, I know it's possible. But with Autohotkey I can make it work in a way that I'll use one button to select engines (hover, main, retro) and throttle to set thrust.

I guess in the future I'll simply add joystick and replicate full TICA/ACA. At least for the LM.
Maquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
PeterRoss
Warranty man
 
PeterRoss's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
 I guess in the future I'll simply add joystick and replicate full TICA/ACA. At least for the LM.
Well, two joysticks is a must have for some complex vessels like XRs and DGs. I have Saitek Avi8or/Siatek Pro Flight Quadrant with the sum of 8 axes (+2 axes of POV hat)/18 keys and switches (8 of them can be reassigned as a set for three different modes during flight), so in most cases I don't need to use keyboard at all, at least for flight control.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Maquis
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoss View Post
 Well, two joysticks is a must have for some complex vessels like XRs and DGs. I have Saitek Avi8or/Siatek Pro Flight Quadrant with the sum of 8 axes (+2 axes of POV hat)/18 keys and switches (8 of them can be reassigned as a set for three different modes during flight), so in most cases I don't need to use keyboard at all, at least for flight control.
I've got thrustmaster with throttle.

For LM I should have two joysticks - one for rotation and second one working in two modes: first one translation, second one 2-axis translation and engine thrust. But for DG it would be nice to have two joysticks and throttle. Perhaps in the future when I'll have time I'll focus on such approach, but for now it's uncertain at best.
Maquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
cslevine
Orbinaut
Default

Well : is this addon made for Orbiter ?
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?
maybe here is some confusion with other software, i think, because there is no way to have it into Orbiter. The Dr Martin's software one. Maybe there is another Orbiter software?


because no joystickmap.cfg,
and SDK... Ah ok, this if the code for C++ user for that they have to compile and run with Orbiter.


There is some confusion, and the final user believe that he will install this addon directly into Orbiter and then use it for configure joystick, maybe in the launchpad.....

but anyway, this utility is a good idea
cslevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslevine View Post
 Well : is this addon made for Orbiter ?
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?
maybe here is some confusion with other software, i think, because there is no way to have it into Orbiter. The Dr Martin's software one. Maybe there is another Orbiter software?


because no joystickmap.cfg,
and SDK... Ah ok, this if the code for C++ user for that they have to compile and run with Orbiter.


There is some confusion, and the final user believe that he will install this addon directly into Orbiter and then use it for configure joystick, maybe in the launchpad.....

but anyway, this utility is a good idea
..what.

This is an addon for Orbiter. You don't need to compile it yourself...
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Ripley
Tutorial translator
 
Ripley's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslevine View Post
 Well : is this addon made for Orbiter ?
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?...
Err.....cslevine, you know how to activate modules in Launchpad, don't you?
Then, head to the Extra tab.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
cipher169
Orbinaut
 
cipher169's Avatar
Default

I have buttons mapped out so that they can do translation of the ship. However, whenever I hit Ctrl, a minute amount of thrust is applied to some of the rcs thrusters. I have tested that my joystick is working properly.

I don't know what else I can do. Could anyone help.
cipher169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.