Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #106
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Experiment to calculate stellar properties based on magnitude and color index failed. The results don't get any precise, and allthough there are only 2000 stars excluded from the database, most of them seem to be quite close to sol. So all in all, that option failed.

However, my lovely wive just showed me how to convert that table into a csv file with a minimum of work. It's already done, so all I have to do now is write a function to read the table from file and I'll be able to assign stellar properties solely on the basis of spectral and luminosity class. Thanks Linguofreak!
You're welcome.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #107
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Table parsed and integrated. Seems to produce decent results!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #108
dumbo2007
Crazy about real time sims

cool.....about the textures loaded from memory bit.....isnt it possible to access the planetary textures and modify them in Orbiter ?
dumbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #109
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say no. It might be with the OGLA client, but I don't know yet.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #110
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I started implementing the procedural routines, and therewith have officially entered the "I'm going to crash every 2 minutes until you clean up that memory-management!" -phase. And I'm hating it! (that's me shooting pointers around...)
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #111
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
 I started implementing the procedural routines, and therewith have officially entered the "I'm going to crash every 2 minutes until you clean up that memory-management!" -phase. And I'm hating it! (that's me shooting pointers around...)
I'm going to have fun if I ever get into a real language like C++. All I've learned so far is Java, and Java takes care of memory management for you. I'd much rather have started with a language that made me learn that kind of stuff.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #112
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

It seems to work very stable now, But I'm not sure if I bought that stability by introducing a memory leak... Maybe I'll have some more revision to do on it later, but for now it runs. So on to completing the evolutionary model...
Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #113
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

Big Grin

This is most excellent news ! a BIG THUMBS UP to all intrested parties. We may yet see Battlestar combat groups jumping from 1 star system to another !

( cue dramatic music now )

On a side note, I'm in the process of cleaning up my vastly bloated Orbiter install by transfering ALL my SciFi vessels to a much cleaner test install so that once this project is finished I will have a lean mean test install to beta test with.

Last edited by tgep; 01-10-2010 at 01:18 AM.
tgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #114
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Finished implementing the 2dimensional GalaxyMap for getting around faster (hell, it would take over 2 hours to get from one end of the Galaxy to the other just by scrolling...):

Procedural routines now burning at pretty much full power, and some bugs ironed out that led to different stars in the same cube when aproaching from another direction. There are only Main-sequence stars generated currently, though. Finishing up the evolutionary model is priority number one now, then a GUI and some filters for displaying the clusters, and we're all set for a demo of the galaxy creator. Alas I'm going on a "buisness-trip" at the end of the month (Band-workshops in 7 towns, 7 days each...) I'll see what I can get finished before I have to pack up.

a few memory leaks are still persistent too, but at least I know where they are. Just haven't gotten around to fixing them yet...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #115
garyw
O-F Administrator

That's looking REALLY nice!
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #116
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Well, the picture is by courtesy of NASA, of course, I didn't draw it myself.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #117
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
 Well, the picture is by courtesy of NASA, of course, I didn't draw it myself.
Hehe, that's actually been my wallpaper for a few months...
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #118
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I have a functional, if somewhat basic evolutionary model now. First thing I noticed is that red giants are an awful lot rarer than I'd expected... the bloody things die too quickly and become white dwarfs and neutron stars instead!

currently I have a Red Giant phase of 10% of main sequence lifetime for Stars between 0.5 and 3 Solar Masses, 18% for up to six solar masses, 23 % for up to 10 (heavier stars become blue giants).

These numbers are pretty much out of my guts, so if anyone can provide me with something more precise that would be very nice. I could only find a few scraps about the lifetime of red giants...

Also, is there an established classification system for neutron stars?

On the exciting side, I found a black hole today while strolling through the galaxy...

I also finished the atmosphere model for planets today. Turned out StarGen provided all the data I needed, I just had to find it and interpret it
Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #119
T.Neo
SA 2010 Soccermaniac

This is awesome !
T.Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #120
dumbo2007
Crazy about real time sims

this is wonderful work.....pioneering in this department I think.....hope this leads to jumping star systems without restarting orbiter ...perhaps martin will consider making some changes in the core if this add on can be made absolutely compelling !!
dumbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development