Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Coordinates alligned with galactic core, spectral class and sequence are represented in colour and size, names added, plus a basic point and click interface for centering the camera on target:

Next step: multiple cubes, as well as loading routines to move through them (25 cubes visible at any time, when a new cube moves into the focus sourrounding cubes will be loaded and others discarded).

The current cube is at sol, it will have the galactic coordinates 0, -797, 3. Every cube is 10 cubic parsec (32.6 cubic lighyears), so Sol will be about 26,000 lightyears from the core and about 65.2 lightyears above the galactic plane.
@tgep: I noticed that the galaxy has shrinked lately... the 30,000 lightyears seem to be outdated...

Hell, this looks like it's actually going somewhere... I didn't quite expect so rapid progress

something that troubles me, though:

either my coordinate conversion is faulty, my catalog is not accurate or there is quite a gap above Sol. Not much stars there in the close vicinity. Somebody versed enough in the ways of astrogation to confirm that?

Last edited by jedidia; 08-05-2009 at 08:05 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #17
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

Yes, tis true. There just aint very much in our local solar neighborhood ( at least as far as Exoplanetary systems go ). Our closest stellar neighbor is just a little over 4 light years away but it is a multiple star system.

As for our position in the galaxy, we are at the " crest " of the wave and on the downturn of passing back down thru the galactic plane in our galactic orbit. This might explain why there just aren't many star systems above us ( figuratively speaking ) at the moment because the catalog data is quite current and would reflect that aspect of our position.
tgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I tried to compare my Starmap to celestia a bit, and it seems that the stars are not quite in the same places. Not too far off either, though. I can't spot a calculation error hin my Code, however.

On another note, I just noticed that the filing system I had in mind originally is kind of retarted, giving me over 200,000 different files on my harddrive!

I'll have a look at the celestia sourcecode and see how they did the loading and stuff, because loading the whole library and getting the data ready to use takes me about 30 secs currently. Chunking it up isn't a good Idea, as I learned from the above example.
I might even use the celestia library, or I will convert the whole HYG-database into something that can be loaded more easily. Will see.

Quote:
As for our position in the galaxy, we are at the " crest " of the wave and on the downturn of passing back down thru the galactic plane in our galactic orbit. This might explain why there just aren't many star systems above us
I wouldn't say so. We're only about 20 Parsecs above the plane, and the disc should be about 1000 ly thick. So we're in pretty nicely. I was just unsure wheather there are indeed so few stars above the sun or wheather I lost a few in the conversion...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

I don't know the size of your pared down library, but converting it to a file usable by Orbiter would be a good idea.
I suggest a .bin file with a name such as GalaxyStar.bin so it does not get confused with the default Orbiter file. It would be read by both Orbiter core program and the MFD module wouldn't it ?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Ummm, no. Orbiter doesn't have to read the file, neither does the MFD. The concept is that the starmap is it's own program, then you select a destination, and the data of the destination will be passed on to the MFD. Of course I'll have to create a bin-file on the fly (together with textures and whatnot) so that the stars apear in the right positions relative to the star you are currently orbiting, but that won't be the whole library. After all, you won't be able to see all stars.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #21
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

You may consider talking to the developer of "Infinity-the quest for earth" at http://www.fl-tw.com . He is working on a procedural generation engine for a realistic galaxy size (i.e. 2 - 300 billion stars). He even has a early rendering video of it on youtube which can be accessed from the front page of the site.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #22
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I think that's a bit out of my league... I have a rather simple model in mind, chunking the galaxy up into 10^3 parsec cubes, the star density of which will be determined by their position in the galaxy (probably going to use a grayscale image as reference). So, while you can scroll through the cubes seamlessly, you won't be able to zoom out too far. A 2-d image of the galaxy will be provided where you can place markers referencing to certain cubes for faster navigation, but a completely zoomable galaxy is just too much for me. This is actually the first serious application with 3d graphics I'm doing ever, so it won't be high-tech.

Plus, I have not even started with procedural generation yet. I'm still experimenting with filing and loading predefined stars to keep a) high efficency and b) high modability (i.e. that it will be easy for a modder to include his custom generated star system).
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I'm making slow progress here, enough to notice that my galactic position of Sol in the z axis simply can't be right. Because in z minus the catalog seems to stretch on for hundreds of lightyears, while in Z+, Sol is in the las 10 parsec cube containing anything... there's nothing above.

my information says that Sol is about 20 parsec above the plane (that's 65.2 lightyears) and that the disc has a thickness of about 1000 lightyears. So if the plane is it's center, there should still be plenty above sol. So, anybody got more reliable information on the position of our solar system in the galaxy?

Edit:
Great, you search about sol and the galactic plane, and what do you find? 90% Armageddon "we're going to collide with something in 2012" crap... oh well.
Anyways, it turned out that my info about sols position was as reliable as it can currently get, and hunting for the causes of where all those stars went (oh my god, it's full of... not stars!) finally led to the discovery of a bug in the conversion from earth-centered coordinates to galactic core-centered coordinates. Fixed it, and everything is smooth. The constellation now look identical to celestia, so I guess I can finally move on and get to the real work...

Last edited by jedidia; 08-16-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Oh my god, it's full of stars (finally!):

and it scrolls seamlessly through them!

next will be a bit of a user interface, then the generator for filling in the missing few billion stars, and THEN the big stargen overhaul... I'm afraid the last one could take the better part of a half year, especially considering what's comming up in RL at the end of this month...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

No worries. This project is definately worth the wait.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #26
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

It's comming along, mouseinterface fully working now. Many brave pointers have selflessly flung themselfes into the void until stability was finally achieved.

Now, the missing stars... i.e., galaxy creator. I could use a little help with that one, majorly information about the presumed composition of our galaxy: which spectral classes and sequences apear in what concentration? any info or website with information about assumed stellar density and composition of various places in the galaxy are welcome!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #27
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

Spectral type and class are generally a grab bag outside of the class-1 first generation stars outside the galactic core halo. Agood starting point would be to map in the stars from the 88 constelation outlines.

Stary Night pro-6 can help you do this. Celestia also has a database of info you could use. As for plotting the other planetary systems, The extra-solar database should have the info you need. You can also find good data on star clusters in the NGC\IC Catalog.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #28
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Spectral type and class are generally a grab bag outside of the class-1 first generation stars outside the galactic core halo.
Sorry, I didn't really understand what you are saying here...

Quote:
Agood starting point would be to map in the stars from the 88 constelation outlines.
Those are allready in, since they are in the Hyparcos catalogue, which is included in the HYG-database.

Quote:
As for plotting the other planetary systems,
The system generator will come later. Currently it's only about generating stars, so that they apear in reasonable amounts and classes.

thanks for your help, anyways
Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #29
tgep
Tutorial Publisher

The central bulge of our galaxy is populated by mostly 1st generation stars. Most of the stars in the spiral arms are a mix of pop.1 and newer stars formed from prior super novae.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #30
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

As much as I and people of like mind are chomping at the bit for this, I agree with TGEP; this will be well worth the wait.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development