Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #91
Fabri91
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl8 View Post
 FWIIW, I have been trying to develop a aircraft (Designed with the XR5 in mind) tug. However I have run into some major bugs with the towing animation (Trying to get some realistic operation), so the project is on hold.
Would it be possible to make an mfd that simply smoothly accelerates you to a set, low, ground speed, like there were electric motors in the undercarriage? Airbus is developing a similar system to enable aircraft to taxi with only their APU running.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #92
n72.75
Donator

Actually, the ideal solution would be for the "XR" vessels to have electric motor propulsion for taxiing. It would be powered by the APU.

It's somewhat unrealistic for a rocket powered vessel to taxi using rocket engines.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #93
C3PO
Donator

If it was clamped to the main gear, the animation would be easier.

Last edited by C3PO; 02-07-2011 at 09:38 AM.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #94
n72.75
Donator

Actually, the ideal solution would be for the "XR" vessels to have electric motor propulsion for taxiing. It would be powered by the APU.

It's somewhat unrealistic for a rocket powered vessel to taxi using rocket engines.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #95
C3PO
Donator

This is hat I was imagining.(no details or textures yet)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tractor01.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6707Click image for larger version

Name:	Tractor02.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	6708

If it was remote controlled (MFD or dialog) it could push/pull the craft. Steering/breaking would be done by the XR5. The tug mesh could just "follow" the XR5 around.
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #96
Fabri91
Donator

Good idea! But what about smaller, XR2-Class vessels.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #97
C3PO
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Good idea! But what about smaller, XR2-Class vessels.
Smaller tugs?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #98
Spacethingy
Multitasker

How's about a San-Francisco-trolley-style under-taxiway cable puller?

That way, only a connection between the landing gear and the cable would be needed. It could work, as the craft will have very set destinations on the ground.
Spacethingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
deltawing777
Orbinaut

Umm,wow 98 posts? I knew you guys were working on this I never knew it was this close to completion...like release tomarrow? Wow I better read this thread and get caught up. I like what Ive read so far..this is truely a awsome airport. One of a kind. Nice work
deltawing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #100
Wonderer
Orbinaut

Not tomorrow , but "Tuesday". This eta spans from next Tuesday till the end of time

Really looking forward to this, I've been using WIN quite a lot and i've made it more interactive with third party addons, but this takes it to the level that is over the 9000-th
Wonderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #101
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Thanks for all the posts guys. Ok, so to address some things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 Looks great! It could probably use some consoles or something to help flesh out the appearance
If you take a look at the pic from inside the control room of the TA hangar, you will see a basic mock control desk. The Tower will have that kinda thing. The scale of the control tower room in the pic is very misleading however, it looks a lot smaller than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 I would assume this Tuesday otherwise they would say Tuesday week or next month or something like that.
Apologies for the in-joke, I thought everyone on this forum knew that a 'Tuesday' release means:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
 This eta spans from next Tuesday till the end of time
So please, no more release date excitement, this project is far from finished unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post
 Secondly, will there be any mechanism for taxying your spacecraft around?
Discussion of that topic, which has almost derailed this thread lol, is one I am looking into, as I too don't like using rocket power. Personally I think the self-powered vessel option (basically engines with no contrails) would be the most elegant solution, but that means the addon devs need to code a patch or whathaveyou. Alternatively, I can also picture a detachable jet pod used for ground manoeuvres; velcro rocket type thing. Although if someone was going to make a working tractor tug, I would vote for this type:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
 This is hat I was imagining.(no details or textures yet)
Attachment 6707Attachment 6708
All that said, perhaps a tug deserves its own thread, I'd rather not discuss it any more here please. This thread is getting clogged enough with talk of Tuesday, let alone other projects

edit: tl8 is on the case, dev thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post
 Thirdly, I saw that Grover mentioned having a radar display in the control tower......
It's not something I'd planned, my to-do list is long enough already. I certainly don't plan to add any interactivity to the control rooms, beyond MFDs, so basically no working VC. But if the idea was done through an mfd, then it would be useable and welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen A View Post
 I have new project.
Google is offering virtual tours for museums.
In reply I will create virtual tour for WIN Ultra :D
I will however of course require early access to the test version of the base. Nothing needs to be functional except for the interior decoration :3
Interesting idea. But don't get too ahead of yourself, the base is a good way off completion, and any such project I would only really want done with the finished product, rather than with a beta test. But if you still want to do some PR when it's released, then feel free!

Think that's all the queries answered, did I miss anything?

thanks again for all the feedback
WHAP

Last edited by wehaveaproblem; 02-07-2011 at 09:38 PM.
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #102
Carmen A
redneck kitten with pillow :3

Oh don't worry about release deadlines. 90% of games in the market today are crap because of premature deployment and lack of creativity associated with rushed work.

Orbiter does not suffer from this thanks to hardworking and patient people like yourself :3
Carmen A is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #103
deltawing777
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Oh don't worry about release deadlines. 90% of games in the market today are crap because of premature deployment and lack of creativity associated with rushed work.

Orbiter does not suffer from this thanks to hardworking and patient people like yourself :3
Agreed 100% IMHO taking the time to do it right always works out in a more positive way in the end. My bad on the misunderstanding on the release date. That's what I get for "speed reading" the thread
deltawing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #104
Carmen A
redneck kitten with pillow :3

So if we're going to upgrade OMP to the new Wideawake, praytell where can I find the wine and cheese, and oh the room with lots of pillows? :D
Carmen A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #105
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Quote:
 So if we're going to upgrade OMP to the new Wideawake, praytell where can I find the wine and cheese, and oh the room with lots of pillows? :D
I thought food was your department now!

But rest assured there is a 5star hotel complex being planned for the base, which will obviously include a presidential suite. So if you can afford $45k per night, you can sleep there.
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development